Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH, Homemade dimple dies, flaring holes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustybucket, May 29, 2007.

1. rustybucket

rustybucket

Homemade dimple dies

I made what turns out to be called a dimple die. I just did a search here on the HAMB and came up with a few posts dealing with how to make them / where they can be bought.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95737

Like a dummy I dove right into making some dies to put a flare on a hole in sheet metal with ought even looking at what was out there. Despite not doing my homework I got lucky, the results are better than I expected and worth sharing.

This all began when I decided I wanted to make a reinforcement plate for the modified rear kick up in my unboxed 32 frame. Having seen some amazing work here on the HAMB and especially inspired by the Ionia Hot Rod Shop frame, I decided to recreate the flared lightning hole treatment in some 14 gauge for the plate.

I started off with a trip to the local scrap yard for some 4” steel round stock that I could turn on a lathe. I had the yard cut two pieces to the rough length for the dies. I chucked the steel up in the lathe and made the male die with a 45degree taper and the female with a straight-sided pocket corresponding to the outer dimension of the flange. To keep every thing centered I added a locating pin made which was made from a ½” bolt. Next I made a pattern to determine the centerline and spacing for the holes. I transferred this to the 14 gauge and used a hole saw to make the holes. I cleaned up the edges of the holes and sanded them smooth to keep them from gouging the dies. I brought the piece over to the shop press and added a generous amount of high temp grease to the dies. The taper on the male die centers the hole and the locating pin keeps everything in line. My 20-ton press formed the metal with ease.

I was very pleased with the results. The part is slightly distorted but should easily flatten. I may have approached this slightly differently if I had done a little research before I jumped in but it turned out great.

This isn’t a new topic to the HAMB but if you have access to a lathe and a press it is relatively easy and inexpensive to do.
    Chris

Attached Files:

• 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3a.jpg
      3a.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      49.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      52.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    Dirty Dug likes this.
  2. This should have been a Tech Week winner!

3. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

whats the thickest guage steel you have tried that tool on?? looks like a pretty easy make

4. rustybucket

rustybucket

The 14 gauge is the thickest I have tried. I think the dies will work on thicker material probably up to 10 gauge but they would need to be hardened to last. If I were planning on using thicker material I would probably machine a matching taper on the female die for extra support. These would work on aluminum like butter.

Chris

5. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Nice tech, Chris......the holes look quite professional.....

CB

6. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I like your dies but you don't have to do the 45 degree cut if you don't want to. I have some flaring dies that a friend made for me years ago and they are from aluminum and I have done lots of steel with them. It wears the front edge but I have probably done a couple of hundred holes with the one in the picture and it still works great. If you look close you can see that the punch side has a guide diameter that fits into the bore in the die side and then there is a step, this die is for a 1-1/2 inch dia hole so the guide diameter is 1-1/2 dia and it pilots into the hole in the sheet metal and the step diameter is 1-3/4 inch dia so when you press them closed the 1-3/4 dia flairs the metal down into the die with a nice radius. Easy to make and they sure are handy. If you happen to use aluminum for the set don't do 4130 sheet as it will really eat the die. It is on my list to make some from steel so I can do 4130. I use my 8 inch bench vice to form, works on most things I make.

Attached Files:

7. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

thanks keep up the good work

8. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Nice job, thanks for posting,

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

10. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Very simple..I like it!

11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

looks great chris!
    now weld that frame together so she looks like a hot rod!!

Zach

12. Great post. I had Hotroddrummer Matt from Ionia Rod Shop make full lenght boxing plates for my 32 chassis with the Belled holes,,, they have been doing it for quite some time now.

Attached Files:

13. squirrel

squirrel

interesting, the kids did this for their robot this past winter, using an aluminum punch and die set we made on the lathe.

now we'll have to think of some automotive applications!

Attached Files:

14. Hey squirrel, any links to photos of the robot?

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

brilliant post...

16. The dies do a great job, but seriously, how much reinforcement do you expect to get on a chassis from 14 ga. plate?

17. rustybucket

rustybucket

Brian / everyone thanks for the compliments.

I bought frame rails from JW Rod Garage because they were 10 gauge opposed to American stampings 11 gauge. I wanted to have an un-boxed frame so I went with the thicker rails. The only problem was I didn’t want the C notch. So I removed it. These plates will go in the area I modified (recessed about ¾" in the rail) to add a little strength. Ford actually added a reinforcing plate in this area mid run in 32 for strength. My plate is different than the ford update but I felt I should probably do something.

Attached Files:

18. In the overall scheme of thing, I suppose that 14 ga. is better than nothing. If I had been doing it, I would have used 10 ga. and forgot the dimples. Then again, nobody has appointed me "hotrod critic of the world".:eek: :eek: :eek:

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...gotta love belled holes...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

I can't believe I'd never seen this post before!

Thanks to Ryan, for the last couple hours I have been searching through RustyBucket's old posts. This is a great thread and almost exactly the same way I made our dies 16 years ago, I say almost because I went with a steeper taper or "bell"..They have a larger pin and are hardened (but we can bell up to 7 ga. with some of them.

You would be surprised how much the "belling" can straingthen a plate, I don't know the ecaxt formula but I would suspect the 14 ga. with the belled holes is just as strong as the 10 ga. flat plate...

Great thread RustyBucket!, it deserves the bump!!

Matt Lesky
    Ionia Hot Rod Shop

21. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

I'll give you a standing ovation for making a set of dies from scratch. After craving a set for a loooong time, I cheated and bought a set from Light Racing.

22. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

Always learning something here on the HAMB...Thanks

23. kopis

kopis

Looks good man!
    Now time for me to try it.

24. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

how do you make these things without using a lathe?

25. Perfect timing for this thread. Thanks!

26. Rusty

Rusty

Very nice!!!!!!

27. Fab Shop Frank

Fab Shop Frank
    from costa mesa

heres some pics, i;ve made dies that will do up to 1/8th 4130
    also a shop seat, and the start of some other project...
    let me know if you need any dies or bring me your project and i'll flare 'em for ya... frank

Attached Files:

28. Fab Shop Frank

Fab Shop Frank
    from costa mesa

oh also they flare up to a full 90 deg.!