Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taking the car off the frame. Worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, May 7, 2010.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one thing for sure... old cars come apart much easier and faster than they go back together.

be sure it is a car you really love or you will come to the point of hating it because you realise you are so far from ever driving it. working on it could become a chore rather than fun.

condition is another thing. I did a rotissierie resto on a 65 Mustang. it still had original paint underneath, and if I had just steam cleaned it it would have been very presentable, instead I blasted the whole thing to bare metal and repainted it. I was into it for $7500.00 at the point where it would move under it's own power but all the glass and doors and insides were still out, and it still needed paint. lost my job and sold it for $4500.00 to pay the rent. if I had put that much effort into the topside and interior I'm sure I could have gotten double that amount.

one more... disassembled my 49 in 1996 and it is still in pieces. in between that time I did the Mustang that I didn't really like as much as I thought. could have easily built the 49 for the same time and money and been cruisin with all the cool people.

anybody wanna buy a rotissierie?

I say unless you are very energetic, leave it on the frame

2. mj40's

mj40's

I have done it with all of mine. It kind of depends on if any repairs need done below that would be better if the body is off. Photo stolen from another HAMBer.

[​IMG]

3. quadcamiron

quadcamiron

I was thinking about this for my 53 plymouth wagon. It needs new sheet meatal at the body mounts and a few other rust spots fixed. I also have new brake/fuel lines to run, engine/trans mounts to fab and new rear end to locate. I do plan on my car being a daily driver. I wouldnt do it just to clean things up but to make sure EVERYTHING under the car is taken care of the right way so I dont have to worry about it down the road. If the car is solid and you dont NEED to...I wouldnt.

4. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

The last one we did, 57 Chevy 2dr ht, we bought a parts car and removed the frame from it so we could roll the body around and do body work and rebuild the frame at the same time. If you have a hard top or convertible make sure you do some bracing before you remove the body or you are in for trouble. As previously stated by others though you are completely committed at this point and there is no turning back when body braces crumble as you twist the mount bolts off. Lots of cars get sold cheap at this point when the owners are in over their head. I would get a couple of frame on restos completed before I tried this. Just my thoughts.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I took my 37 chevy p/u off the frame and it did not get back togather for over 20 years and thought I would never drive it again,will never get a project that has to come off the frame again as it takes alot of time.

6. Domino! u have to remove the body to redo all the fuel and brake lines? Is this necessary? I wanted to replace my brake lines soon. Well I need another car before I do this stuff. Lotsa great advise on here. Kinda scared to do it now :) in fear of something huge goin wrong. I really apreciate all the help that everyone has givin me. I wanna drive my car. Not stare at it in the garage!

7. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

If I were you and with your experiance, leave it on the frame. You can do everything that it sounds like you want to do on frame. Drive it for a while and go from thier.
    A car has to be worth it or needs major work for you to start a frame off. Just my advice.

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

You said you didn"t have any help,your not taking this car to shows and you want to just have a safe driver,leave the body on and build the car to drive,if all you need are floor panels,you can do all that with body on frame,the way the car is right now you are just one step from taking the body off but by yourself thats a big ,dangerous step .good luck,.

9. smogmeister

smogmeister
    from Van Nuys

I've taken several bodies off frames. If you have 4 buddies it puts one on each corner and a spotter. then get four tall jackstands, one for each corner of the body. that makes it easier to get under it for cleaning and whatever. The less weight the better. I also called had my local powder coater do the frame and other parts and I can tell you it was way less than painting and easier. They came and picked up the frame and parts and brought them back. Normally in two days. They sand blast it and coat it . I just needed to make all welds and gringing before I send them. If I remember right to do my 56 bel air frame, the control arms, the rear end housing, cross member i made for the trans and backin plates for the rear brakes was 900 bucks and like I said they picked up and dropped off. It always looks awesome, always. I recently bought a used shop hoist and installed it and what a difference. best 600 buck i ever spent. don't be afraid dude just go for it . it's easier than you can make it out to be if you overthink it. hope this helps, good tinkering.

10. I think Im gonna try it when I have two classics, instead of one. Just so I can cruise it. Ive cruised it maybe 5 or 6 times in the past 4 years. (I think longer.) I like to do things right the first time because I will be frustrated later but in this case with the minimal help, funds, experience and tools......I think I might have to live with it. Fortunately I will be moving into one of my moms apartment buildings in silverlake soon so I will be saving about 800 a week on rent! So I will be saving and looking for some kind of 30's or 40's car. Hopefully under $1500.00. From hearing from some of the hambers on here its very much possible. Be nice if I could find one that runs! Thanks smogmeister for the support. (love the name.) After reading all the posts people sent, I need a little more schoolin. Im glad I didnt jump right into the chop because. After a year of studying chops I realized a wraparound winshield will b a bitch with my minimal skills. Need to start on an A first before I hit the 50's cars! Thanks guys. Lots of great help on here. Love it!