Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tade: 1956 Ford for a 1940 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Jul 12, 2012.

?
  1. 1940 Mercury

85 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. 1956 Ford

101 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I think you answered your own question ;) keep your '56 till your feet are 100% on solid ground before you go looking.

2. JON THE POM

JON THE POM
    from melb oz

Keep the Ford when you're sorted buy a 40 something and build it.you've got plenty of time.I've had my 55 ford and my leopard skin drape since the 80's ,I still fit into one of them!

3. Weasel

Weasel

Just one question - how are you going to get around if you get the Merc?

4. metalman

metalman

One thing that took me years to figure out when it came to a car for sale I wanted is there will ALWAYS be another one for sale someday if you pass on the one in front of me. I think that Merc would take a bunch of work and $$$ to make it a dependable driver, sound like your really not in a position where that won't be a problem.
    40 Mercs arn't that rare and hard to find (I had 2 calls Friday about work on 2 different 40 Mercurys) I'd try to find a coupe or ragtop if I wanted a custom. taildrager.

5. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Listen to Jeffy, Mitch!

Your '56 is cool!

6. The Merc ultimately has a much greater cool factor, in my opinion, but as mentioned, there are other things to consider in your case. I would stick with the '56. It's cool enough, even as a 4-door...and it's a driver.

7. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

'56 all the way. You will regret getting rid of it. A '40 Merc is cool, but is a '40 Merc 2 door sedan your dream car? If not what happens when your dream car does come along? If both were in same shape, the '40 Merc would be the way to go. Be patient until you can have another car and something else you like is closer. If you ever plan on a chop, both will be difficult to do well, but someone else will have to chime in on difficultly of chopping curved class vs. fastback.

8. 56FRLN

56FRLN

I agree with what many have already stated. Keep your driver since you will be limited if you sell it. My '56 sat in my garage under a cover for 18 years before I had the time to get it going again - many was the time I considered selling it due to shortage of funds but my wife was the one who kept telling me to keep it. You only have 1 first car and if you are able to keep it (once funds come along for a 2nd project) you will never regret having to get rid of it.

9. Easiest poll in a long time, the 40 Merc of course

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

Ya got a driver now and I think it's cool. The merc would be a nice project to have and work on, but your driver is what is important right now. keep your sedan.

11. To be honest I vote for the 56, not just because I have one but look at the whole picture. All the things you have learned on it, memories and the dependability of the vehicle.You stated its your daily driver nd the 40 is a total project. You dont know for a fact it will be a dependable driver atlfter the little work you said it needs. If it were me I would keep what I have and save on the side to get what you want.

12. 55-56 Fords are almost a dime a dozen. 40 Mercs are rare as hens teeth. get the Merc

13. If he is limited on funds and mobility and 40 mers are just as rare as hens teeth. Probably wouldnt be the best thing to do then. Since the car still needs a bit of work and parts are pretty rare.

14. i love the merc and i would normally say go for it but i wouldnt get rid of that ford. it works and is reliable. the other one needs more work. especially with all the memories you have in it. i dont know if your sentimental about that or not. i would be. keep the ford, finish school. then get another project and still keep the ford.

15. Rich427

Rich427

The 40 is definitely cool but so is the 56... Especially if you don't mind more doors. I would keep the 56.

16. Thanks Scott,

I miss all of you guys man! I wish I had the funds to drive out to San Jose right now. Hopefully sometime in the near future. I was planning on going to Santa Maria this year but then some stuff got in the way. Hopefully next year though. Say Hi back to Anisa for me.

Mitchell de Moor

17. Thanks guys for everything! I texted the guy with the '40 Merc today explaining everything and how I didn't think it was going to work out. I think I'll keep my '56 until I finish school and get a real job. Then get a project car and still have my '56 to cruise around.

18. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I thinjk you have made a very wise decision.

19. Thanks! Someday I can hopefully be driving my '56 and building a badass kustom or hot rod. And have a driver and a project.

20. I have to agree! Very good decision. You like your ride and obviously love it. Dont jump just because its something you might have always wanted....you might not be happy with it. Im happy to see you stuckbwith the 56.

21. Mitchell, if you sell that 56 i will come kick your ass

22. 343w

343w

I've had a 40 Ford Tudor, and a 56 Sunliner, since you need transportation I vote to keep the 56. I would wait for another older hot rod to come along that is a driver as well. Your 56 will attact other car guys that will want to deal with you, be patient brother...

23. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

The reality of this is that the 40 really could effect what you have got going for you right now. Although the 56 isn't the traditional rod it is what you love. Projects that can't be funded can become long labors of love or abandoned. You have a pretty cool and practical ride but a burning desire. Keep the 56 and don't lose sleep over it.

24. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

"WTF"isnt a traditional rod been around quite a while back before SS cars and gtos and the like thats all you saw was 49-57 fords chevys.very few 40 fords and even less mercs

Attached Files:

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Maybe he is referring to the 4-door aspect of the '56

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, perfect answer. Believe me, I know about dreaming big, but reality check badly needed here...
    Oh yea, and do you have shop space available to do all the work that is needed on the Merc?

27. VonKool13

VonKool13

Uh, his more-door is nothing like the picture you posted, other than it shares the same model name.

Keep the 56' but that 40' is one bad mothertrucker.

28. A Rodder

A Rodder

Wise choice......
    You have a known, reliable, good car that looks great and is appealing to you and many others.

If you had been looking for the mercury for years that's one thing, but just because its for sale and could be cool doesn't automatically mean you should jump at it.

29. msalamanca

msalamanca

If thats your daily driver then dont trade it for a non runner.
    It does not matter if its a 40 merc or not. You will be kicking yourself when your calling people for rides, riding a bike or taking the bus. The coolness of it will be gone fast.

Keep what you got. Its a nice ride. If your itching for something new, do some more custom work to it.

30. Thanks guys if you didn't read my previous post I called it off. Since then I got the back even lower sits really nice and low now. I am just enjoying it and having fun with it.