Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T-5 conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coololdcars, Sep 16, 2014.

1. I can get an S10 T-5 with the Ford bolt pattern, what do I need to do to bolt it up to a 302 Ford motor?

2. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

S10 with a ford bolt pattern...? wouldn't that make it a mustang (or possible T-bird) T5? Get a bell housing and clutch linkage from one of those cars.

3. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

S10's did not have a Ford bolt pattern, Camaros and some other late Chevys did. Ether way, do a search on early mustang T5 conversions, there are several of them on the internet.
    Edit: I would double check the gear ratios and the input shaft length to be sure the transmission is a good candidate for a conversion. Is it a WC or NWC transmission? Does it still have the ID tag on it? How about a photo?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Mustang transmissions are T 5, Borg made them for many companies,, just go down to pick a part, before the craiglisters get there and pull one out of a Mustang,, don't need World Class? Pull one out of a 4 cylinder better first gear and they are the ones left behind. Looking at your avitar you look like you might want to bang gears - World Class. But remember 86 and before have a different input shaft length. and if you need the shifter closer to the firewall, I think, maybe your can put a S-10 tail shaft on one,, but not totally sure

5. I found an article here "The ultimate T-5 article" that states 93 and up WC S-10 transmissions use the Ford case and bolt pattern, so these won't bolt up to a standard Chevy bellhousing!!!

gimpyshotrods and need louvers ? like this.
  6. Raunchy

Raunchy

S-10 T5 will have lower 1st gear but better shifter location for most HAMB friendly cars. I use a mustang transmission for the strength and better gear ratios, and put the S10 tailshaft and shifter/rods/top on the Mustang transmission. Then you get the best of both. Have not done this combo , but I think all you need is bellhousing and blockplate from foxbody Mustang. And get the right flywheel 28 or 50 oz. balance

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I just did one, but mine was a hybrid T5 with a Ford gearbox and an S10 tail. You should first think about clutch linkage which will dictate your bellhousing type---- early Ford linkage/push type or late Ford cable/pull type, or hydraulic?

The later Ford (cable clutch) bells already have the bolt pattern and the input shaft clearance for the Ford T5 input shaft, which is about 5/8" longer than the old T10 and Sideloader transmissions. The earlier Ford bells will require an adapter plate you can get from CJ Pony parts. Remember if you use an S10 input shaft, you have to get a Chevy friction plate in the correct diameter for your Ford clutch/flywheel and you might have to change the pilot bushing.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The S10 4-cylinder T5, 1993-end, had the Ford pattern. You would need a spacer to put it on a Ford V8 bellhousing. The input shaft is too long.

These are World-Class transmissions.

9. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I thought all the S10 T5s were Chevy pattern, but I am not up on the Chevy T5s so guess I am wrong! I rebuild and work on Mustang T5s. I would not want a 4cyl or V6 T5 for a lot of reasons, there are lots of V8 T5 around. V8s boxes have a different gear ratio set for a reason! Be sure you know what T5 you have, as pointed out above the input shaft length, diameter and spline count are different between the different units. Also the pilot bearing size varies around.

10. 00k0k_9JbKJnPRsZE_600x450.jpg This trans is not a T-5, its supposedly out of a 94 Ford PU. Supposed to be a 5 peed OD, no granny low. Hyd clutch, will it bolt to my 302??? Is it strong enough???

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

12. Its from a 5.0 motor. Just wondering if it would bolt up. Seems like a truck tranny would be strong ,and the shifter location is good!!

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

From the middle-shifter location it looks like an M50D-R1 from a Ranger (and Rangers didn't come with V8 engines).
    The F-150 (V8) transmission has the shifter located at the tail shaft.
    These transmissions have hydraulic throw out bearings with special fittings for the hydraulic hoses. I'd scavenge as many parts from the donor vehicle as possible.
    See if you can find a tag or a casting with numbers on it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If it's from a 5.0 then it will bolt to a 302, but you'll still have to solve flywheel, clutch, and starter issues.
    As far as strength, obviously if it ran behind a 5.0 it can run behind a 302, unless you have a fire-breathing monster you're building.
    What really matters are the gear ratios. Even without a granny gear, those truck transmissions tend to have really low first gear ratios.

15. SASROD

SASROD

That's a Mazda trans M5R2, its pretty big. Its not supposed to be very strong, but I have a 95 ford with a 300 L-6 that has over 300,000 miles on it. The shifter forks inside the transmission wear out for some reason. I've changed the 1st-2nd fork twice, but it still works fine. Make sure you can access the top shifter plate for removal so you don't have to pull the whole trans, its big and heavy!

16. I'll see if I can ID the tags and photo. Will the tags tell the gear ratios, and if so whats a good ballpark ratio to look for?

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

18. 61falcon

61falcon

I would pass on that trans. Find a T5 and do the tail shaft swap.

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd probably pass on it too, but for a low-budget swap I think it has potential.

20. Well, this is not an option. Took my bellhousing spacer to see if it was the same. NO !!! Top four holes were the same but the bottom was off. Thought being out of a V-8 truck (and I question that now) and with that shifter location it would work. Has integral bellhousing too , similar to an automatic??? Scratch that one off the list!!!

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That looks to be what is in my 92' 300 6cyl..1st is not real low, I got 3.55 rear gears and all around ratos are fine. 60 mph is about 2200..

22. This is a T-5 I recently aquired. Tag as follows...E6ZR7003-FBREP-ATI...second line...13-52-169 1030205 A2983 Pretty sure its an 85 Mustang V-8. The concern is the front ,theres hardly any clutch spline coming out, maybe 3/4 of an inch....

23. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Your tranny is 1986.5 to 89 spec V8 Mustang T5, someone has put a steel bearing retainer on it from a 94 up spec T5 Mustang tranny they had a 5/8th inch longer input shaft do to shifter placement in the 94 up Mustang, and the 94 up bearing retainer is 5/8th's of a inch longer than the earlier 84.5 to 93 Mustang T5's bearing retainer, your tranny originally came with a aluminum bearing retainer and they were prone to galling up overtime and causing irregular clutch throwout bearing engagement, disengagement. You can buy a a steel bearing retainer the right lenght for your 86.5 to 89 spec T5, or just take the one you have off and trim 5/8th of inch off the end off of it in a chop saw, and burnish around the cut and re-install and it will be good to go as it is a good steel bearing retainer just 5/8th of a inch too long for your tranny's input shaft lenght.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

24. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Those are great if you need to back up 40 miles an hour

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

FlynBrian is right.
    The input shaft on yours should be 7.18" and the pilot diameter is 0.668. The later (World class) T5 input shaft is 7.41" and the pilot diameter is 0.59. You have to find a matching bell housing and you're on your way to T5 land.

You need either a T5 bell housing to match or an adapter plate to an older V8 bellhousing, but first you have to figure out how you're going to actuate the clutch, which will help you make the bell housing decision.

26. Thanks guys!! FlynBrian is gonna set me up with a bellhousing that should work, meanwhile I better get back in the shop and do a little trimming and polishing!!!

27. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1051.JPG

Here's what the input shaft should look like. Sorry this was the best picture I had.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  28. What pilot bushing will fit? The motor is a 68 302