Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SURVIVOR;Working on my hotrod 28A from 1959,rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Apr 11, 2013.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

1604679_723260631017868_463377671_n.jpg One of my old neighborhood buddys Rob Bean from the 1950/60s stop by,he was in town from up north an had to see for himself. So we got to run around the block an lay some rubber, just like we did together in the old days in the same hotrod :D:cool:
    As ya see Rob is a smiling big time! Me too! A jump back in time of 55 years bang!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    kiwijeff, AndersF and 33sporttruck like this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

WOW-WOW-WOW. Congrats, Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That's pretty awesome -- congrats on getting your old car back together and on the road! I'm glad those door skins worked out for you.

Malcolm

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Just picked up on this thread - man, you are hard core saving all that you did over all these years - hoader status perhaps? Ha ha - just bustin 'em. Really great story and a great "reigniting" of an old flame - great job!

dana barlow likes this.
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks for looking in!:D
    After playing with the top on a little,I desided to make the rear window roll up and snap inplace with two little straps. I held the straps inplace on the inside with the same screw that hold the snap on the out side for them to snap too.
    By doing the open window this way its not hanging above your head. I just didn't like the idea after thinking about having it over my head were wind may make it fludder on my head if there,so rolled on back bow seems to be a good trick.:cool:

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and 33sporttruck like this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the #2 photo;The snaps for straps to hold window rolled up,use a nylon washer under them so they also hold top to bow with out ripping the top,same way I also did other screws with there Finishing Washers[#8 size] with the same nylon washers under those too.:cool:

33sporttruck likes this.
  7. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hey, Dana, just read though this "re-build" thread; very impressive! Just goes to show what a guy can get done in a garage and/or driveway as long as the weather cooperates once in a while. That black/yellow combo "pops" without being too showy.

One thing I kept wondering about though, it looks like your two seat modified body started off as a roadster. Nowadays it seems vintage roadster bodies usually go for much more than a modified body or cab, and I've seen posts where HAMBers have worked hard to replace missing sections of original coupe and roadster bodies.

Did you start with a car that had rear end damage back in '59, and salvage what would work for you, or was the trunk/rumble section cut off as a weight savings? :confused: Just curious, as I realize that this is one well preserved example of how it was done at the time.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

33sporttruck and dana barlow like this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  9. rodl

rodl

dana barlow likes this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

[/QUOTE rodl; So did you sneak a peek in the pumphouse Dana!]
    No I did not,Farmer was nice to let me have the old body/frame and besides that farmer had a shotgun in the rear window of his pickup,there could of been more then just the Model A motor running the well pump,\. Like maybe his still mash or who knows,best to mind your own bizz in them places. LOL

33sporttruck likes this.
  11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek:Hi Dana.Yep.Back in those times you DEFINITELY did not want to be afflicted with a bad case of"Aardvark syndrome".Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

dana barlow likes this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Found a photo of how I did the inside door framing, 1 in. x 1 in. tubing for most of it an used small Bearclaw latchs n stock hinges,with repo outer skins,thought it may be of help yo any one making there own doors:cool: When I started on them I was going to make new outer skins my self,but found a set that were nice for $ thanks to Malcolm here on the HAMB.
    With the door inter panels on none of that shows,so the photo give ya a inside look.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    33sporttruck likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Door limit strap was just a old black belt I had,cut an used to keep door from swing open too far and hitting EX headers or something,plus keeps door were its EZ to reach after you sat down.

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.
  14. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

Lookin good Dana!
    T-Bag

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

dana barlow likes this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks,
    These things always need something,I added a kind of glovebox,well a pocket anyway over in the kickpanel of the right side. I used some alum sheet to make a "U" shape too add / glue the black vinyl to,folded the top over and stitch two rows to make it look good with about 6in. of top underware rubberband to gather it up at top.. Mounted it with 4 screws an finish washers. Should hold stuff like sunglass ect.

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.
  16. Heo2

Heo2

Hi Dana reminds a lot of mine built in 65

Attached Files:

• 087.jpg
      087.jpg
      File size:
      266.4 KB
      Views:
    dana barlow likes this.
  17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Photo of your tub looks like you made a great start there. Were ya able to finish it up?

18. Heo2

Heo2

Well.... its under progress a lot of other
    Projects happened. But i rolled it in the
    garage this friday actualy

dana barlow likes this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

After driving around for a little,desided a centered rear view would be good to have this time. The side one is handy but dose have a blind spot to the right I wanted to fill in. Found one I liked the size of,if there too big on a roadster they look wrong to me. Made my self a small stainless steel bracket to hold it,that just screws to center top of windsheild frame,had to be sure it could adjust with windsheild closed and a little open like I run it most of the time,so bracket needed to be just right ;):D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    33sporttruck likes this.
  20. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Dana, I just went through the entire Thread ! I am really impressed, but more so I am Happy for You. That Old Girls is looking Good !!! Your determination and follow through is "Top Notch" The Build is still Awesome.................. Jeff

dana barlow likes this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks,
    I fineily got a little $ together for 2 new rear tires,to get rid of the old dryed out and cracked tires on the rear,they were old free an handy for the build but too wide/10in tread ] don't get me wrong,I do like wide but the biggist I had on rear in the early 1960's was a set of General Dual 90's= about 7in. wide tread that I liked the look of . So this past week I opened the garage door to find one of the old rears flat }= I took that as a sign, it's more then time to get new rears,something with 7 to 8in. of tread, about the same hight of the old 26/7 in.. Hunted around for 255/60 R15,I have some new small Rs on front 185/75R14 with 4.5 wide tread should match up good big an small being 2,1/4 in. shorter.
    I found a good deal at Pep Boys mounted an balanced for both @ $240,put 'm in the the garage to add to rod next day! But this am I go out to bolt on rod and one has a giant bubble off to one side #*&^@,I take them back,, an Pep Boys was great,said we'll replace both if need be with def type of tire?,so this time I stand in shop to see them take tire off rim,an can see what happened,the guy that mounted them [who is not there today] had F*&%# up the bead bad ,big rip and missing rubber,how the H it even held air long enough to get home ??? . So finding out it's not defective tire is a good thing for me. So they gave me a new one and mounted it the right way. Only thing bad is it took two days just for getting rear tires.
    I'm going to run them for a time to be sure all is good, then do my mod get them tobe the white walls that cost more then I have in piggy bank,after I grind the white letters down into a white wall.
    I played this game 2 times before of making a white wall and it did work Ok a few years ago,here's a vid I found that shows it pretty well;

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hotrodding is loving speed=Indy 500 has as far back as i can remeber it,been a super day of speed,as a kid I'd hear it on the radio,often on the car radio parked out in the yard in the best spot for pickup,being the only radio that could pick up the station it was on. Over the years, I even got to go race a custom speed bike there I designed an built,plus have work on a few Indy like racecars,FV,FF,FSV and a F5000 that was also a F1. Point is this 500 is a part of most of us that build hotrods. This photo is my streamliner speed pedal trike I ran at Indy back in 1985,83 speedbikes showed up to race,we were 7th over all fastist

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  23. 59 brook

59 brook

hey dana i think it's those new machines they use. the pep boys up here went to fix a flat on the wifes car and i watched the guy rip the bed and send the part of the machine flying so bad they wound up getting us a new rim. finally got the wagon going , maybe ill take a ride down and see how your doing soon

dana barlow likes this.
  24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Hi 59Brook.I don`t think that the problem is so much the machines,as ill trained,incompetent help.Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. 59 brook

59 brook

you are probably right Leo . i was watching the guy do my tire and coud not believe that he was trying to install the tire on the rim and had the bead already set on one half of the rim when he started to spin the machine . i watched the bar fly off and heard the bang as it hit my rim

26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hi Jeff an Leo,
    Sorry,had a very hard time trying to fig out the new layout here,of posting photos now and what size,hoping I got,.
    Here a photo of the F5000,at the time early 1970s these were very close to what Indy cars and F-One was. This was F-One the year before we made into a F5000,long story an lots fun

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

stoppedatjohn4vizit.jpg Happy Memorial Day! I put my flag up at my house this weekend and want over to visit a buddy in my old highschool hotrod,he too had his flag flying high an took a photo were I pulled up to park. Have a good day all

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) Hi Dana.That`s a nice looking F One.Happy Memorial Day to you and all here on the H.A.M.B.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

dana barlow likes this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The photo also shows my new tires on,I'll try and get my son to take a better shot,cuz now I have done some polishing on the old alum slots an they really look much nicer too.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  30. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

Great thread Dana! Jeff (33sporttruck) turned me on to you. We have been friends/rodders for 30 years I guess. I think between the 2 of you I will be motivated to get out of the recliner and do something! Did you use the rattle cans to do the axle and body or a spray gun?

dana barlow likes this.