Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SURVIVOR;Working on my hotrod 28A from 1959,rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Apr 11, 2013.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'm wating on my buddy working on my head flanges,so need to play with something.
    I did a ruff 4x2 mock up,by piling the parts up on y-block on my engine stand,just not all welded yet. Just to get a plan working in my head about linkage.
    I'm OK normel used links between each carb on left and same on right,but thats the EZ part,next is to get both left an right pairs to move together also,I'm guessing my best bet is to build a crossover bar an 3 arms on it,the #3 arm will be for link to gas pedal.
    If I put this crossover in center vs behind carbs were the Ford "Y" dizzy is in the way. The linkage will look pretty good kind of filling the center space. Anyone got any photos of homemade complete 4x2 linkage set ups? Always good to barrow a good idea when I like it a lot ,n it works if there is one. I ten to like homemade vs store $ got. Mostly have more time then $,an building my stuff adds up to extra fun.

Just messing around,I placed the four little chrome pot aircleaners I have on carbs,found out although they look a like,there not=didn't get them at some time, two here ,two there ,over time. They are about 1/4in. plus from being the same hight with each other from top of carbs. Was thinking insted of trying to buy another two that would match up ether set,I'd build my own base's for them to match hight. I can make the base's so they are also droped down lower then by 1/2in. also giving what I'm thinking is a better look anyway. Works out to little air cleaner will only stick up above my very low hood line by about one in.=adds to my low look hopefully,we'll see.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Took in a car show over the weekend,drove my rod down to REDLAND Market Village,was a nice turn out of pre 70's,about 60 or so cars showed,was a free show an they gave us all we could eat/drink taco's n beer,plus Holloween candy. They didn't let me take these 2 candys home though,darn! 15517277899_1be6b75098_b.jpg

3. Dana, that's a really cool pic..........is your car in there somewhere? JW :D

dana barlow likes this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Better hope mama doesn't read that post. :rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 and dana barlow like this.
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Going back to post#265 an picking up on my homemade log 4x2 intake.I still didn't get headflanges yet,but did get most of log together with port runners an carb runners. I'm not going to do carb mount plates tell I get headplates welded,so I can mock up and be sure they all line up level. I did add log end caps. Started also on playing with building some parts for carb linkage.
    Was thinking it would be cool with the 4x2 set up,to add my old Spalding Flamethrouher if I can find two matching cool coils to make it work again. So stuck it in the photo for fun. IMAG1976.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    kiwijeff, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  6. 59 brook

59 brook

looking good dana

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Taking shape nicely, very cool, JW:)

dana barlow likes this.
  8. There's cars ?? o_O

dana barlow likes this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

10873582_811599665549817_6511497428176866021_o.jpg Thanks,
    Being Christmas,it was time for the "Florida Winter Wheels Fest" show,just over 200 cars showed up.
    Lots of other things happen to with this show,"Frozen" players put on a show and there was matching band and prade ect..
    Had fun ,plus got two trophys,one for best of class{hotrods] and the other bigger one for"Queens Choice"=one of two for over alls { King's choice n Queen choice}at show.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  10. Darn Dana,these two young lady's are easy on the eyes,,shame you couldn't keep at least one!:D HRP

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

If I got one home,the wife would run over me with the hotrod.

12. That's it, I'm movin' to South Florida.;):D

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Dana,we must be married to sisters...I don't know what wrong with women,you marry them and they loose their sense of humor! :D HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  14. [​IMG]

Yeah Don,it's tempting! :D:) HRP

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Neat. Congrats, Gary.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. I don't even wanna' translate what their shirts mean....but wooooo-E....I sure would love to see. I'll leave it at that.It's slang for something fun....

I will say, if two could travel home....it may well be worth the tire tracks, Dana.....the hot rod shouldn't weigh too much. Wear a big coat.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Dana, well deserved!

dana barlow likes this.
  18. Nice trophies and just like the Fonz with the ladies.:rolleyes::cool::D;) JW

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

First sat nite of 2015 running around town FrankyPizza2015.jpg ,we all stopped by one of our old hangouts to enjoy the best pizza in Miami Florida. Pulled in with out group of rods,my 28A,Mark Kline's 32 ,Rosh Moor's 23T and David Rucafford's"LowOne" pickuptruck

20. Cool pic Dana, almost back to the fifties ! :D JW

dana barlow likes this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Dana.Outstanding sir.And a happy new year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

dana barlow likes this.
  22. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Dana, Are You some kinda Chick Magnet ??? Now it looks like you are a Trophy Hound !!! What the Hell are You telling those Young Girls ??? That car has turned You into Some Stud Muffin !!! Jeff

dana barlow likes this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

Meanwhile in the way back machine it's B&W.

FrankyPizza2015.jpg

24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

This is just too cool....I Love it Dana.:D

dana barlow likes this.
  25. AndersF

AndersF

I come to think about your car when i saw this one.
    [​IMG]

26 T Ford RPU and dana barlow like this.
  26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

AndersF, Thanks,I don't remeber seeing that one before , pretty cool,but for the twin headlighs being horazontel yet the hight looks right for top of them to me,I even had a rollbar in my own for a little=headbanger an got removed after a few months,I didn't care for the bumps in my hair,looks like the guy just padded his.

27. AndersF

AndersF

I can scan all the article if you are intressed.
    I think this car was the ambr winner of 57.

dana barlow likes this.
  28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The old Y-Motor in my rod is showing how tired it is,lucky I guess it has lasted about 800 miles this passed year after being rzerwracked out of couner of shop for umteen years n 100000miles be4, but now has a lifter going out on intake#6,time to stop running that old one.
    This passed few weeks I've been building up a refreshed Ford Y-block{I have 3 of these old tired babys hinding away in coners,alway hunting more?] an this one is getting, new gaskets,bearing , rings,added a new cam n lifters as well. I tryed to redo my fav.rocker set #6564=the little higher lift oldy goldys from 1957,but they galled the shafts too much. So found a fairly good set of standard rockers to clean up and use. Up to a short block so far,hope to swap out motors this coming week. The plan is to get newer motor running with carb n dis. off old motor first. Then in a month or so after put my homemade 4x2/log intake on,then add Spalding Flamethrower twin coil after that. Idea so I'll have time to sort out each before adding next sexy speed part.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    loudbang, 26 T Ford RPU and hendelec like this.
  29. Will be nice to see that Log intake on there.....cool stuff Dana. JW:cool::)

dana barlow likes this.
  30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

All most got my rebuilt "Y" ready to go back in,should be running again by next week.
    My old buddy Rob Bean found a photo of me he took back in 1963,with his cool 57 Chevy,we were at 12hr. Seabring sports car races,was one of our things to do every year we could. I guess my hat style has not changed much over the years,but what happen to my body? LOL ,Bacardi needs something mixed with it RobBeanNmeAt Seabring.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.