Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SURVIVOR;Working on my hotrod 28A from 1959,rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Apr 11, 2013.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hot rod 2.JPG This was one of my highschool rods from 1959. This will be a rebuild thread below with photos as I can of my 1928 roadster. The other car I also drove was a full custom Henry J,but it got stolen the year after collage.
    I had taken 1928 roadster apart in 1965 and sold off some stuff to make new wife happy in our new house back then,put the rest away tell just a few years ago.. Now it's time to put this baby back together ,been hunting parts for 6 years,making by hand what I could not find,plus in many cases nearly comepletely remaking rusted out parts that were only good as a pattern do to my poor storage of them{ did think at the time,it was only going to be a year or so,before putting it back together= It's on me for not getting it,tell stepping up to it again a few years back!. There is older photos in my album.
    But today rolled her out for a shot at and angle that is kind of like one of my old photos;)
    Long way to go yet,but I got enough done now to at lest show something off. hotrodNsmall.jpg
    I had put this header tech up also;http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776744
    Front tires are 2in.too small/short,but they were free,so it will be some miles before I replace with closer to the taller size I had on it from 59 to 65

Another post I did also;https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...s-seem-too-go-together.1132818/#post-12867155
    My tech on seats;https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-sew-at-home-upholsrety-hot-rod.604077/
    Top tech,for folding top ;https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...top-a-how-too-do-it-tech.857951/#post-9479688
    Making your own custom fit car cover,ideas;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/making-your-own-fitted-car-cover.799597/

Carb's,I enjoy the look of my homemade 4x2 intake,I use 94's,cuz there cheep vs 97's
    Handy info about 94's by others ;https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/links-to-holley-94-technical-info.286574/
    I've used Ford Y-blocks a long time,an found a trick or too;;; https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...er-oiling-how-i-fix-it.1254671/#post-14366134

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  2. No photo? HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  3. About time!:D Looks like you have a good "start" on it!

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

How great that you kept the majority of it all these years. You and this car have a lot of memories between you and now you can start making new memories. Please keep us in the loop on the build and I want to see this one at Turkey Run when it's done. :)

Don

dana barlow likes this.

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Lookin good!! I can't wait to see more!!

dana barlow likes this.
  6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

looking good...

dana barlow likes this.
  7. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

8. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

WOW! That is really cool that you kept it (or at least the important parts).

I hope you feel like a kid again when you get her back out on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dana barlow likes this.
  9. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Following!

dana barlow likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

subscribed!
    A yellow Y block and is that part of a A phaeton body?

dana barlow likes this.
  11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Fantastic that you kept it !. Are you going to put the steel wheels back on? I hope so.

David

dana barlow likes this.
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dang, it's about time! Now you have no excuse to drive it up north and visit us! Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hi Gary.
    I had some help from a buddy of mine John Fenner on the left rear panel as I had helped him on his hotrod V8 sbc MGB. My beadroller , plunshinghammer and metal brake were still down the street at his place when I started trying to do some body work,is always great getting help!.
    Some of the sheet metal really rusted out bad over the years of storage,and I had sold the doors,so made those frame works added two new skins I found fairly cheep, I had to replace a few parts and in some cases,even make from scratch most of them, the left rear panel behind door was comepltely rusted out,were others were O.K. to use small parts of. So I'll add a few photos of doing that.;)
    Started out this way,then put the kind of just repaired ,now good old right side,with the new fab left side close to gether for adjusting match ups. I did use inside bracing from old rusted out lift side,so was a little less to fab for the short rear panel.
    Had to make a custom set of rollers for beadroller to start out the shape of bead with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    33sporttruck likes this.
  14. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn man. kept a old hot rod in parts since 1959!!!!! way to go. i get sick when i think of the cars i let go of when i was barely out of h.s...

dana barlow likes this.
  15. F&J

F&J

Dana, this is wild.. A local guy now in his 70s, just got his 34 channeled coupe to run and drive. He took his apart in 1966, and also had to sell some important pieces over the decades. I was hoping (in the last 10 years), that he could see it back on the road, like when he was young.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. Very cool.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. 59 brook

59 brook

hey dana how ya doing? it's looking good . one of these days i'll have to renew my passport so i can come down and visit you again.

dana barlow likes this.
  18. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

That's cool! Keep us posted.

dana barlow likes this.
  19. Ole don

Ole don

A yellow Y block, and its geezer owner. A story with a happy ending. Aint it great to be wakin' up every day at our age??

dana barlow likes this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cool! Do you still have the beer keg gas tank?

dana barlow likes this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

History STORY Miami Fl ; "Way back Story" too
    Yes falcongeorge, I have keg.
    Now here is a ture story for ya'll,I helped a buddy Rosh Moore build his red t-bucket 9 years back,we finshed it about 6 years ago,and my son liked it,wanted one also,so my son an I built a blue one he designed with some Qs from Dad's old rod.
    One Q being the beer keg tank he liked,so I'm talking on phone to a highschool buddy Dean Senta about 5 years back,telling him I'm helping my son now build a hotrod. He ask" Is he going to use a beer keg like you did ?" "Yes he wants to get one!,Dean" LOL ..Dean said "come and get the other keg you and I got back in high school,still got it in the back of the garage." I say we'll be right over!
    Now here is how Dean and I got those 2 kegs,we're hanging in 1960 at one of our local car hop place's Hot Shoppe" US1/Bird Rd. and the radio is on WQAM,on comes info about the old bar off Old Cutler road is burnning down,it was at one time Al Capon's [speekEZ /cathouse ]and then Myer Lansky's place,so off we go to see the fire. I guess kids would get arested now for going to see the fire. It was really going good and didn't look like they're trying very hard to put it fully out. We went back the next nite to see what was left,not much,mostly to the ground,a few exploaded kegs ,but Dean and I found two keg's that still had beer in them,WOW time for a beach party out at beer can beach[ end of Vagina Key], OK beer had been too hot I guess cuz it wasn't too good ,but party was. So we take the empty kegs home and I used the one on my rod.:D to replace the outboard boat tank I never liked, Hope ya enjoyed that:)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Woh! From a former Al Capone speakeasy/cathouse??? Now THATS what I call provenance!! Very cool Dana

OahuEli and dana barlow like this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

To go with 2 Kegs story, .;
    This is my son Lance's hotrod with the beer keg we got from Dean on it,you can see some Q's from Dad's rod,even though Lance's is 1923 T.
    My son and I built the frame and all mounts,bone's,pedals,steering rods and arm from scratch/used 65 Mustang box I had in shop and Mustang GT disk brake rear,got 2 used failed projects cheep for old parts/ 23 body,rims/tires and F axle w/brakes,he sold off what we didn't need and about broke 1/2 even on those parts. Had a great time working with my son on this blue one he calls "Pandora".
    I did a tech some time ago about some work on this blue "T"rod;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604077
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Tasty looking T-bucket that you and your son built. Even better that it has something from your old hot rod.

Frank

dana barlow likes this.
  25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nice "save", great you are getting it back on the road after all that time.

dana barlow likes this.
  26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Not going with old brake clutch set up ,they are swing pedals and never did like that feel.:(
    Time for a new duelmaster cly that is safer anyway,so I designed a under floor set up for this along with the clutch pedal that is a Z-bar type all in one design. After looking at some aftermarket deels I didn't like designs or high cost of,actuly I like doing things myself anyway.
    So just did it my self from scatch. I had two old left over pedal arms that kind of matched with pretty good rubber foot pads[not shown snaps on later] that I liked,so used part of them as top part of new homemade arms to go with the new duelmaster cly. By designing it in a box I can get the stuff together and working out side and then just add it to the frame. Though some one may benafit from seeing this set up as I designed it an built ,cuz brake and mec clutch combo is not out there like this one.:cool:
    Clutch pull rod goes from pedal Z,up into bellhosing arm that I drilled a hole in at the point that the scocket is and were I have a lug nut/taper into cone and then two nuts that can adjust it and lock to each other. The brake mastercly push rod has adjuster in it's center.
    I added a few more holes to give me other rod mounts,so we also have from about 8 to 1 up to about 9 to 1;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    33sporttruck likes this.
  27. TRIK3R

TRIK3R

Wanted to stop by this weekend but bunch of stuff going on, tied up the upcoming weekend as well, but liking the progress fo sho!

dana barlow likes this.
  28. Bugguts

Bugguts

Love the stories and the car. Thanks for sharing. Great inspiration!

dana barlow likes this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I was thinking some could also use a design much like this;After looking at photos I posted on my brake/clutch box design,I think this may show missing info better for anyone trying to make scents of drawing and pic. I finished this up now so it welded and painted,I'll get a pic up of that soon. Just got to take them pics.

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.
  30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Brake & clutch; After welding,painting and the finishing rubber foot pads. I also cut down a gas pedal and added a arm to it,not sure how much I'll cut off that arm tell I'm more back to gether:cool:
    The pin running between two bolts holds them from ever coming out,they are the pedal axles and this way I can set how smooth they work. These under floors will look a lot better then the swing pedals did. But I will need to lift carpit and hatch to check brake fluid

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.