Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sure could use a tech week

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Sep 24, 2015.

1. How about you guys ?

D-Russ, porknbeaner and patmanta like this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

You bet. Always see great ideas. I have a couple I've been holding onto for a tech week myself. Probably not winners, but stuff I found cool.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

maybe someone will build a frame

4. What type of frame did you have in mind Larry? :D HRP

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    falcongeorge likes this.

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

All I've been working on this week is trying to figure out how to pull off a rattle can lacquer paint job in this day and age, with what you can pick up at the auto parts store.

Seems it can be done if you hit every store in your area because the only seem to ever have ONE can of any given color unless you want Black, then it's two ;)

6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

IMG_0952.JPG This is how I bent the tack strip molding for my 3 window 32. It came from MACS as straight aluminum extrusions. Much cheaper than the pre bent ones on evil bay. For some reason I get an error when I try to upload photo. any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  7. Get busy !! I'm down to a post a day. Please help ! What color wheels do I need ? :)

117harv likes this.
  8. LOL still whining about the frame? :D :D :D

If you got chop saw and a welder I'll come down there and we can tack you one up in a weekend. :D

I could use a tech week. I don't currently have anything to offer as I am not far enough into my current build but I could sure use one. Some of the threads lately (and I have to admit to contributing) are about as silly as facebook. :rolleyes:

He needs a frame for a roadster project I think a T pickup or the like. Simplest frame in the world to build if someone was willing. .

firstinsteele, patmanta and 3wLarry like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Lol, yeah not like the good old days, rows of metalflake, candies..

Well I'm playing around grinding used v8-60 cam followers on my old valve machine. Had to adapt a small chuck to hold them, now figuring out what angle to cut. Read everything from 0 on up. Originally a 96" radius, apparently everyone now just angle grinds them. Probly end up with new stuff, horror stories of offshore, and these will end up in the trash but at least it keeps me out of the bar for a few days.

0923151056.jpg

bct and patmanta like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

I forgot to take pictures...how to adjust the advance curve in a Mallory dual point. It works better now.

I did it while you guys were posting on this thread

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

T.E.C.H LZ.jpg
    What we need is a good 5 cent logo.
    Sorry Ryan, couldn't resist

12. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

What about enamel vs lacquer. I could package enamel and make it dry slow enough for you to do larger areas without dry spray. If someone wants to do that I will donate 6 or so cans just let me know what color you want it.

patmanta likes this.
  13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

No sponsors offering up merchandise and no archive for posterity incentive may have something to do with it..
    Tons of great Q&A between the regular conversation lately though..

You guys want incentive let's make some ourselves,

How about we create a grab bag of cool stuff to donate to the winner(s)?

If we get more than one yes vote I'll stick it to the top

14. That sounds great Paul.
    One vote for yes.
    Easiest Coolest thing I got is $100.00 bill.

Paul and 3wLarry like this.
  15. Find one store you like, ask them to order you in enough cans/cases to do it. Try summit, they have pallets of most everything.

patmanta likes this.
  16. indyjps

indyjps

patmanta likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I also replaced the odometer today. I didn't get enough pictures for a tech post, sorry.

King ford likes this.
  18. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Hey Squirrel , did you wear out your odometer on your road trip?........Chevys weren't built to go too far maybe?

19. squirrel

squirrel

it got stuck, because it's over 50 years old. It started working again on it's own, but I had a better looking one, so I figured I'd swap it in.

The car is on it's second life...no part of it was designed to live as long as it has

20. L7

L7

I love tech weeks. Thanks to all that contribute!
    I enjoy seeing how different people tackle problems and challenges/ gives me just enough knowledge to be
    dangerous ;)
    I also miss the archives.

Doctorterry likes this.
  21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'll kick in $100 also

kidcampbell71 and Paul like this.
  22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Wow, I didn't think my little Rattle-Lacquer project would get so much attention! I guess it's worth putting into a thread then.

COOL, that's very generous! But I think for this little project, I'm going to stick to Lacquer and off the shelf local parts store fare. There seem to be a ton of enamel rattle can threads and info on here, but I haven't found much for rattle can lacquer info. Plus I want to lay this base with the option to not have to strip it all the way down if I (or the next guy) decide to do a better lacquer paint job in the future.

Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near a Summit physical location. I may ask when I go to the AAP in Stoneham today or tomorrow though.

I can get Dupli-Color quarts pretty easy, AAP and CAP carry them, but I was trying to narrow my focus to what I can do with rattle cans that's not Enamel. I do have a siphon gun and a detail gun though, so down the line if I want to add color over the black or white base coat I end up doing, I can. I will be painting in my side yard though and I think rattle cans will be less of a spectacle and mess in that situation.

EDIT: I started the thread (link below) if anybody wants to follow along:
    RATTLE CAN LACQUER PAINT JOB TECH
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rattle-can-lacquer-paint-job-tech.992366/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  23. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm sure Squirrel could do one on how to rebuild a blower without opening the hood....

24. squirrel

squirrel

didn't get enough pictures of that one, either! too busy working on it. But it's not difficult, you just remove the fuel lines, linkage, belt, carbs, and then take off the 8 nuts and lift off the blower.

patmanta likes this.
  25. I throw a second yes out there. I got something I'll have to dig but I will come up with something if this is a go.

26. Really?
    Summit one of the largest mail order outfits out there.

Fortunately Summit is close, maybe 2hrs round trip. But anyway its cheaper and easier to have them ship what ever i want right to my door.

27. Beaner , you're yes will be a stronger #3. You gotta count Noframe Larry.
    :)

3wLarry and patmanta like this.
  28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Close to YOU maybe, but that Summit is about 19hrs round trip for me and it's the closest one! Besides, I'm trying to go off the shelf local instead of mail order, at least to start with. Looking on the site, they don't seem to have anything as far as selection that's a major advantage, just volume.

29. Dang it and I wanted to be #2. I'll go dig around for something that someone would like to own that I can afford to ship.

30. Something gets lost in the translation I guess