Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Super Mustang Dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Henry Floored, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Sporty45

Sporty45

By who, the current owner? Seems kind of weird :rolleyes:

2. Super Secret Mustang, in that case.

3. guffey

guffey

If I remember correctly Ford's plan was to run the injected cammer on nitro and compete with the blown fuel dragsters by having the supposed advantage of streamlining, coilover/ladderbar rear suspension, and a c6 automatic transmission. And not using up parts like a blown fueler. It was in original paint but rough when I got it in the early Nineties. super mustang aa (2).jpg super mustang bb (3).jpg I did a 30 day wonder cosmetic restoration, to take it to the 30th anniversary Mustang show in Charlotte. It was given a total restoration by the fellow I sold it to in the early 2000's

deadbeat likes this.
  4. aircap

aircap

That thing is SO SLICK.

5. The 'Super Mustang' was a collaboration between Ford Motor Co and the Logghe brothers who Ford had contracted with on the tube frame, flip-top Comet funny cars of Don Nicholson and Ed Schartman that shook up the class in '66. Hoping for the same success in top fuel as they had in funny car, the Ford-styled dragster debuted to a lot of hype with hired shoe Tom McEwen driving but excess weight, poor aerodynamics and lack of power quickly proved it to be uncompetitive... I believe it was ran in open competition once (and failed to qualify), a couple of times as an 'exhibition' then it disappeared into obscurity.