Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Keep those Aquasco stories coming. It's always good to hear them. Anyone else have pictures from back in the day?

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  2. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Aquasco Speedway 1964

[​IMG]

3. Nice air! Check out the guy on the left. Think that Willys may have been a little noisy?

4. 0ldracer

0ldracer

5. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's still pretty noisy to this day:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. FEBCO

FEBCO

Wanda, you have a great memory........I can't remember that long ago.....

7. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Gene Altizer experimenting with a blown motor in the Anglia in about 1964

[​IMG]

8. sonoramic

sonoramic
    from Maryland
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Hey Ronnie, did you ever make it to the track? I was wondering the same thing.... how and if you could arrange a visit. I would love to get a few of the old guys together to take a ride and refresh some memories.....

Rob

9. ronniekkrc

ronniekkrc
    from annapolis

No luck with getting to the track yet. However I am still planning to go. I still dont know how to contact the owner.

10. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

It's great hearing about Aquasco after all these years. Brings back memories of my racing days in the sixties with a GTO. I often have thought about what happened to it and until now figured it was redeveloped into a housing area. Keep the stories up.

11. forcd02

forcd02
    from Md

wow, saw this post-tons of memories from that place, i ran stock, superstock, and C/MP
    all the guys that became legends would show up there

12. ....Dig through that dusty shoebox under the bed and post up some photos from those days. Also check out the current threads on the Jolly Dolly and stories from the Queenstown Mighty Mo if you haven't already. Welcome to the HAMB........................................Don.:)

13. ^^^^^^^^

TempleofZoom.....

If you don't mind disclosing your fathers name, what type of car he drove and the years he race, there are lots of people who have photos and news articles that may ba able to help...

Good luck with your search!

Jay

14. 363Door

363Door

I was just going thru all the pages of this thread and a lot of the pictures are no longer veiwable, anyway I'm looking for some pictures of a few cars that raced back in late 60's and early 70's that were guys I grew up with or got to know at the track.
    Looking for pictures of Wayne Arminger's (my cousin) '61 Chesapeake Blue Ford Starliner called Thunderroad, ran B/S, also Mousie Browns Red '62 Impala, Roy Fiddisop's Red '62 Ford Galaxie, Richard and Karl Masters Red Ford Galaxies '62 and '64.
    Somebody refered to the building on the left side of the track,which was indeed where you picked up your time slips and also where My uncle and other reporters sat in upper floor to do there write ups for Drag News,etc.
    I got to become good Friends with Harry Peapers after his drag Racing days and he became a Streetrodder,One the best guys you could ever know, and even though he stopped racing still went to Indie to see the Nationals well into the 1990's.

15. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. ......Did you ever have any luck contacting the owner? If you can catch up with some of the DeCesaris family at the Philly Flash in Dunkirk they might be able to tell you who the current owner of the property is. I'm pretty sure it was the DeCesaris and Procopio families who operated Aquasco, but I don't know if they owned the property or leased it.

17. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

The Procopios owned the land, which totaled 188 acres. They sold it in 2003. I've talked to the current owner and he's a nice guy. That said, he doesn't want a lot of folks trespassing (which I guess I can understand).

I did a feature on the strip a while back with photos of how it looks today:

http://www.atomicpinup.com/Aquasco_Speedway.html

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

18. Thanks Lee. That area there is still pretty much "country". Do you know if the current owner plans to develop it?

19. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

It's been a few years since I talked to him but it didn't sound like he had plans to develop it.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

20. Clik

Clik

[​IMG]

Roy Fiddesop worked for me a few years ago and died from a leg infection a year or two ago. Last I knew he had a 66 Belvedere.

21. Been 7 months since anyone posted on this thread. Bumpin' it back up in case some new folks have joined the HAMB and have some memories and or photos they would like to share.......................Don.

22. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Don- Friday, August 2nd Brandywine Volunteer Fire Department is having a cruise night with the theme of "Remembering Aquasco Speedway". I haven't been to one of their cruise nights in over a year so I'm not sure what kind of turnout they usually get, or if they'll be any sort of display on the history of the track, but I'll probably drop by to check it out.

23. Hey Thanks for that heads-up. I knew nothing about it. Hope the weather co-operates.

24. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

No problem, I pass by there on the way to work every day and they've had it advertised out front for a couple of weeks. The track was before my time, but I love hearing the history of the local tracks like Aquasco and Marlboro. Brandywine VFD's website asks anyone who has any memorabilia from Aquasco or any other local tracks to bring it along and display it. I'm interested in seeing what, if anything, might turn up.

25. Now thats awesome.... Nice piece of history

26. .........Very Cool! Don't leave us hangin' Tell us the story behind these items and thanks a bunch for posting the pics.:) By the way, I really like your screen name as well.

27. ......."Private museum". now that's very cool. Thanks again for posting the pics. Do you plan on bringing some of your memorabilia to the aforementioned cruise-night so others can see and appreciate?............Don.:)

28. Sounds like fun hope it works out!!!

29. This Fri night! Anyone else coming to this cruise night?

30. Tomorrow evening. Weather looks perfect. Who's going?