Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Aquasco, 1969:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 height=17>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

2. I just found this photo on another thread, it's not taken at Aquasco but it's the Lippard and Tarbett fuel altered from Md. ,very well known at Aquasco and Capitol. Driven by My old Buddy Pudge Tarbett, who left us a few Years ago but is well remembered by all who knew him as a "wild and crazy " guy ! !

3. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

quote That's interesting. Where in Annapolis is it located? Have you tried the food? Is there adequate parking for a few hot rods if someone wanted to have a HAMB gathering?[/quote]

Identical to what I was thinking and luckily I don't have to sound like a hungry fatguy since you jumped on the grenade. The food could be horrible and I would still go just to peruse the pictures.

4. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Identical to what I was thinking and luckily I don't have to sound like a hungry fatguy since you jumped on the grenade. The food could be horrible and I would still go just to peruse the pictures.[/quote]

Philly Flash: 1901 West St Annapolis,MD. Food ain't bad, a little bit of parking, Its in an office building.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

6. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Identical to what I was thinking and luckily I don't have to sound like a hungry fatguy since you jumped on the grenade. The food could be horrible and I would still go just to peruse the pictures.[/quote]

R.C., I don't know if you know the car in your avatar. It's the old Jim Davis "Automation". Jim Davis lived in Northern Virginia but later became a honcho with B&M in California. Here's a picture of it from a few years ago. Mike

Attached Files:

7. R.C., I don't know if you know the car in your avatar. It's the old Jim Davis "Automation". Jim Davis lived in Northern Virginia but later became a honcho with B&M in California. Here's a picture of it from a few years ago. Mike[/quote]

Mike:

Here are few I have.

Attached Files:

8. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Mike:

Here are few I have.[/quote]

Thanks! Those are cool and the car looked a lot better back then (in my opinion). Actually, I liked the version when Ronnie Bohn had it. It was killer Candy Tangerine. But, Tony bought it and it was his to make what he wanted with it. Mike

9. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Someone told me Ronnie Bohn passed away. If so, how long ago was it? I bought a lot of parts from his speed shop when I was younger.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

10. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Yeah, Ronnie passed away about 5-6 years ago. He was still working at AA Speed in Woodbridge almost to the end.
    I met Ronnie in 1966-67 when he worked the counter at Big Ed's Speed Shop. He was always good to me. I also bought stuff from him when he had his shop in Springfield. He was a real character. Mike

11. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Sorry to hear that. I used to like hearing his stories when I'd visit his shop in Springfield.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

12. I'll try to make a run down to Annap. soon and check it out. Maybe get some wings. Sounds like parking would be an issue for a HAMB get together. Sorry to keep hijacking this great Aquasco thread. It just seems to keep evolving, bringing back some great memories for a lot of local folks.....Don.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  13. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

R.C., I don't know if you know the car in your avatar. It's the old Jim Davis "Automation". Jim Davis lived in Northern Virginia but later became a honcho with B&M in California. Here's a picture of it from a few years ago. Mike[/quote]

The picture I used as an avatar is a common one. I have several others with my old man and uncle running against (and working on)Davis's car.

14. Here's another view(s) of how Aquasco looks today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

16. PhillyFlash

PhillyFlash

Hi all- Philly Flash here. Jack Redds & some of our other customers told us to post to The H.A.M.B.- we'd love to have some of you all down for our first Philly Flash Car Cruise- classics + a preview of the 2010 Camaro! Plenty of parking in the back lot & we're using the lot across the street as well. Hope to see some H.A.M.B cars there! Info is below and on our website- myphillyflash.com

[​IMG]

17. RH B.O.T

RH B.O.T

Leroy still runs a blown alky flopper occassionally.

18. Cochino

Cochino

Thanks everyone for all the Pics!!!!

19. amarquis

amarquis
    from Waldorf

Schwinn,

I just sent you an email. I live right up the road from you in Waldorf and would love to work with you on an article on this.

Please get back to me.

Thanks,
    Andy

20. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

BUMP for hoping someone has some more pics of aquasco.

Also, here is a link to a pretty cool story by Jim Davis, former racer of a well known east coast 32 ford. http://www.motorburg.com/?p=1

21. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Why, exactly, did the track shut down?

Please discuss fully.

22. Cool Find!

I added a comment to jim's blog inviting him to join the HAMB. Be pretty cool if joins in the discussion. Maybe the S&S guy's could pull him over!

23. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

And I know exactly where, what's left of, his Automation coupe is.

24. 3onthetree

3onthetree

25. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Prince Georges County cited "environmental" concerns for closing the track. Claimed something about soil contamination and run-off into Eagle Habor. It was a BS excuse.....sadly, they just didn't want a dragstrip in the area anymore (noise, traffic on Neck Road, etc).

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

26. schwinn1

schwinn1

Yeah Lee you're right about the EPA giving Julio a hard time. Talked with him about a year ago and he told me that between working a 9-5 and running the race track finally took a toll on his health. So the decision was made to close the track down. He did lease it out for a short period of time, I believe it was to Todd Mack before it was finally closed. Nice pictures from Capitol, I was up there on Saturday also. I've been taking care of elderly parents and haven't had a chance to post any pictures. However, when I get some free time I will post more.

Mike

27. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

GREAT STUFF, Thanks. My gal and I visited Pocono Drag Lodge a couple months back. Strange feeling standing on the abandoned track. But a HUGE crowd showed up for the re-union show.

28. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Julio told me the same thing earlier this year. Even mentioned that Malcolm Durham offered to invest to keep the strip open. As Julio put it though, it had nothing to due with money......the county and the EPA made up their minds and that was it.

And you're right....Todd Mack and Larry Clayton leased it for a while and tried hard to keep it open.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Here is Harry Peepers record holder. It later was street rodded into a beautiful ride with a Chevy V8. That is when I met him. A very nice guy.

I never went to Aquasco. Capitol and 75 & 80 were closer. There were an ass load of local drag racers that were national players.