Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Ooooops, You are 100% right. The other Gang Green was Boyd Allison's 55 Chevy that Lee Martin just posted above. And you are also right about Leroy Dewdney being involved with funny cars later on. Sharp guy! And how could I forget Harry Peapers, another fixture at Aquasco. His was another beautiful and very good running H/Gas Chevy coupe.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Somebody close needs to organize a reunion there like they've been doing at Vargo and are attempting at Pocono Drag Lodge.

3. 0ldracer

0ldracer

I had a feeling that was you under there. That's a great shot. I remembered Rufus Boswell but the car name threw me off. I'd forgotten that. :D Pretty cool to see the old stompin' grounds again, eh Dave? I miss those days. Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike......yeah pretty cool old place! Schwinn1 has a bunch of slides to post.....looking forward to seeing what's there. It's amazing how these old photos keep showing up after all these years.

Dave

4. Old Racer:

Here is one of Pork. I have some pics of other cars sponsored by a Local DC Speed Shop that I would like to share and see what input you may have.

Attached Files:

• pork.jpg
      pork.jpg
      File size:
      122.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Old Dominion

Before Pavement!

Attached Files:

6. Some other cars and drivers

Attached Files:

7. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

8. I've heard of a Chevy II called "Gang Green" that ran at 75-80. I'm pretty sure it was a M/P car. Any chance this was the same group that ran the '55?

I'm always looking for shots of Thunderbolts. One that I'm really interested in finding more information about is the "Hill & Sanders Ford" T-bolt that ran out of Wheaton, MD. Matt Fenton was involved with the car along with Ivan Jordon possibly. I'm sure it ran at Aquasco. Anyone have any photos or information? Ivan also ran a '63 lightweight Galaxie.

9. 0ldracer

0ldracer

[​IMG]

61Cad,

I'll try to I.D. what I can. That is Pork Zartman driving Charlie Hill's Filthy Forty in 1962. If I remember correctly (sometimes I don't) this photo was at an NHRA Record Meet in Lynchburg, Virginia where they set a new National Record. Driving in a T-shirt.....at least he had a helmet....the good 'ol days.

10. 0ldracer

0ldracer

[​IMG]

This one is Fritz Wray from Maryland in his B/Street Roadster in about 1963. The speed shop you referred to was Custom Speed Shop on Maine Avenue in Washington, D.C. The man who owned and ran the speed shop was Courtney Scott, quite a successful racer in his own right. He won the 1960 NHRA NATIONALS in Detroit with his own B/SR, a 1934 Ford with an injected Desoto Hemi. He is still around and has the car in his garage in Virginia (supposedly pretty much untouched).

11. 0ldracer

0ldracer

[​IMG]

61 Cad,

I believe this is a very early shot of the '33 Ford C/Altered of Roger Blood and Charlie Cavill. Probably in 1961. Pretty sharp guys. They updated the car with full 25% setback, Hilborn injected SBC, moved the body back on the frame, and a few other tricks......and then towed it all the way from Alexandria, Virginia to Pomona, California for the NHRA Winternationals where they beat all the C/Altereds there. That was a huge trip in those days....no Interstate Highways to speak of.

Sad ending. The car was destroyed at York US30 Dragway in York, Pa. when it ran over a motorcycle that was laying on the track past the finish line (in the dark on a Saturday night). The bike went down and no one saw it. Roger Blood was in the next pair down.....and hit the thing at about 120 mph.

12. 0ldracer

0ldracer

[​IMG]

61 Cad,

Don't know this one...maybe you can read the sign on the original. But it does look like the Ram Rods show at the Washington D.C. National Guard Armory. The brick wall and the wood flooring looks just like it. There were a lot of very competitive cars in the D.C., Va., Md., Pa. area in the 60's. Lots of National Record Holders and lots of NATIONALS Winners. And a lot of race tracks to race at....Aquasco being one of the better ones.

13. Thanks Dave!

Great to know the History of these cars. Courtney supplied me the pictures.

Yep, Courtney still has his '34 Roadster and his brothers '39 Ford. Saw the cars last year at his home.

The picture of Old Dominion in dirt is of Courtney's Brother running his '39.

Jay

14. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Jay,

What else did Courtney give you? I'm sure he knows all about those cars. He can give you more history than I can probably. Are those photos from the wall in his old Custom Speed Shop? Did I pass the test?? Ha,Ha.

15. Here is a shot of Courtney's Roadster

Attached Files:

16. You NAILED IT!

I have a couple more, but I am sure he has plenty (guy keeps everything)!

Attached Files:

17. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

If any of you guys have a good pic. of the Jolly Dolly ,i would love to have a copy. I saw Bob Bernardon scream that thing through 1/2 mile drags at Tapahannak(sp) Va. years ago. That c/altered one of you showed was there that day also and at the time they were running only about 1/2 MPH off of the nat. record. I have some pics. of Joe Tucci's early rail if i can figure how to post them. Maybe Jay can help me since hes here in my town.

18. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

19. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

20. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

[​IMG]

That's Skeeter Hernandez's '55. At the time he worked for Bladensburg Auto Body, who's name is on the side of the car. He left there and went to work at Pohanka's around 1968, where the car was painted red, white, and blue. It ran an injected small block.

My Father worked with him at Pohanka's back then, along with my Grandfather. Dad helped him paint it in the red/white/blue color scheme.

I'll have to show him some of the other photos and see if he can lend some more information.

21. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Chrome Streamliner,

Here is a shot of Harry Peapers at Aquasco, standing in the background drinking something out of a cup. Great guy.

[​IMG]

22. 0ldracer

0ldracer

[​IMG]
    61 Cad,

Beautiful car!!! Does it still look like that?

23. Pretty Much.

No running gear and lettered a differently

24. ct

ct
    from minnesota

Wow. Those are some great pics. Thanks for posting them.

25. 0ldracer

0ldracer

61 Cad,

Do you have all these pictures? If you do, let's see 'em, maybe on another thread so we don't totally hijack this "Aquasco" one.

DH

[​IMG]

26. Dave:

I sent you a PM (Private Message)

Jay

27. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

28. 0ldracer

0ldracer

eightydeuce,

Great photos. I remember both cars. I wish I could remember who the 40
    Ford owner was. Wilbert and Rufus were a couple of black racers that had an upolstery shop in Maryland if I remember correctly. And yes, I have seen John Durands photo selection. He has a lot of really high quality stuff from the period. Thanks.

DH

29. schwinn1

schwinn1

Here's one of Bob Bernardon from 1962 Hot Rod yearbook.

30. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Here you go Howeird46Chev, this was in 2006 at the U.S. NATIONALS in Indianapolis, Indiana where NHRA had a salute to the "Gassers". Jolly Dolly was one of the original historic gassers on display. That's Bobby Bernardon Jr. in the seat. Bob Sr. was there too. We lost him to cancer 6 months later. Class act....always the best looking car at the track. A regular at Aquasco Speedway.
    [​IMG]