Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stupid Question: When did the American Racing Daisy wheels come out...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CJ Steak, Oct 5, 2009.

1. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Now i'm not asking if it's traditional or not. I'm just wondering when they came out.

I've seen some pretty old ones that I think would look good modified. Maybe with a buffed lip and grey spokes of Torq Thrust fame or something like that. Maybe even weathered to look like real magnesium.

I know these wheels were popular (kinda) in the 70's... but I think they'd look good on something a little older.

Any of you guys running Daisy's on any of your rides? I'd love to see pics if you are!

I love Torq Thrusts, but thought that a set of Daisy's with skinny whites (supreme style) MIGHT look good on the wife's '64 AMC Typhoon. I guess i'm looking for an alternative to Torqs and Supremes. I'd go with a thin white wall and kinda narrow tire, like what you usually see on Supremes. I like that look.

Thanks,

-Chris

These:

[​IMG]

NOT these:

[​IMG]

2. brandon

brandon

thinking around 70

3. Maybe later than that. They were very popular during the van craze in the mid-'70s, and I remember seeing a shitload of these during that time. My guess is 1974.

4. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

My guess is 1969.

5. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Some pretty good feedback, thanks for it guys. I wonder if someone would have an old American Racing ad laying around that could help narrow it down.

If it was 1969, that would be fantastic. I'm leery of putting anything 70's on this car because i'm not really going for a 70's look, ala slot mags. BUT... I know that I like the way those wheels look, and with bias ply pinner whites I can make them look a bit older in style and use etc... i'll probably still go with them, but i'm still curious about the specific year. :D

I know that personally i've seen them on a helluva lot more 70's cars than 60's ones. However they are a nice alternative to Torqs on old muscle cars if the right tires and stance are selected.

6. BigChief

BigChief

Roadsters.com says about 1969....popular on Trans-Am series and other SCCA classes. Muscle car fodder but I love them too.

-Bigchief.

7. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

The actual model name of those wheels is 200-S. They came out in 1969.

8. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

The reason I say 1969 is because I seem to recall some Nova Funny Cars (1969) that ran those wheels on the rear, maybe even Jungle Jim for a time.

9. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Thanks Bigchief!

I had a set of really wide ones on a '68 Mustang fastback. Sold the car... but I should've kept the wheels...

They looked great on that old rust bucket though.

10. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Yeah, that's what I know them as too. I wasn't sure if that's what they were originally called, or if anyone would know what the hell I was talkin' about if I called them that though.

Weren't they also called "coke bottle" wheels or something? That may be some serious street slang though... I know i've never seen them advertised as such. I know that "Daisys" and more appropriately "200-S" is what they're widely known as.

11. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

hmmm... it may be the pic, but they look a little goofy on this '55. Definately not the wheel i'll be choosing for my '58 Commander HT...

[​IMG]

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey CJ Steak...do a search, type "classic racing wheels". Lots of good info on all makes of racing and street mags. The author says 1969 is the earliest add he's ever seen for them. I always thought the slotted mags were a "tuffer look, and the 5-spokes were the "fancy" ones...at least the shiny chrome ones. I liked 'em. Think early "bling". Haha. The daisies caught my eye as well...they were the same but different. I was partial to the polished ones. You're right though, it's of course a more 70's look. I can remember driving through a big park in Wyandot, Michigan in 1975, (the year I graduated from high-school) and seeing rows and rows and rows of Roadrunners, Chevelles, Mustangs, etc. and every single one had mags...mostly shiny 5-spokes. The daisies seemed to be a rarer but welcome alternative. Rick

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've got a set of 14's that I traded Harm's Way for. They are going to find their way unto a 4 wheel trailer I'm planning. Going to build a tight low ramp trailer to haul hot rods on. Probably towed by the '48 F1.

Frank

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like those wheels... you don't see them too often anymore. more of a Camaro Mustang Chevelle kind of wheel that anything HAMB -like

15. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I guess you've never seen Two Lane Blacktop? Filmed in 1970.

16. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking too. It seems the more I stare at them the less I like them on the older stuff.

I'm still holding out for what a skinny set of them would look like on the '64 with pinner white bias plys though. I was hoping that would set them back in time just enough to look right and be something different.

I might be barking up the wrong tree though.

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I've got the DVD/VHS and have watched it a million times. I realized it was made back then, just didn't mention it as someone already mentioned 1969 as the start year for these wheels. It does help confirm the earlier 1969 date a lot of folks where thinking though.

I don't car what anyone says... that rear rim/ tire size/ gap in rear fender well just doesn't look right to me. I almost wonder if that's a clone car. In the film the stance looks a little better to me and the rear wheel/fender clearance looks better proportioned too.

I might need to fire it up soon.

18. Natedrag

Natedrag

"I'm leery of putting anything 70's on this car because i'm not really going for a 70's look, ala slot mags"

According to roadsters.com, Ansen first came out with the slot in 1963. They were very popular right though the 70s though.

19. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

True... and I knew when I posted that someone would call me out on it. But to me and my personal opinion... i've seen those on more vans, street freaks, 70's muscle cars, 70's trucks etc... to personally consider those a 70's wheel in my opinion.

Other's may not agree... but it is what it is to me.

Good catch though... and I agree that those are technically more 60's than the 200's :)

20. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Hope I didn't come off as a smartass, wasn't trying to. :D I do agree with that particular photo though, the rear tires aren't tall enough to make the radiused gap look "right". I've always loved the 200 S wheels, I can never find a full set in 15" though, plenty of 14's.

21. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

No not at all man.

I agree... that's what makes me think it could be a clone or something. The movie car looked better proportioned in that area.

The 200's on my '68 fastback were funky sizes... I wanna say 15x8 on the front and 15x10 in the rear. I've never seen another set in those widths that were true, vintage 200's.

I think you can get the new ones in any size you want...

22. Personally, I think they look like crap-ola on a 32 Roadster. This is one my dad owned circa 1993.... I begged him to change the wheels...

[​IMG]

23. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

I've got a set of CP-200's, 5 on 5 1/2, 15x10 unilug. The spoke's developed some cracks on one wheel, so I contacted American, and was told that they never made that wheel... so they're real rare. -Mike

24. SlamIam

SlamIam

Friend at high school put them on his big black Caddilac hearse when they first came out, the only car I've ever seen that I liked those wheels on. Seems to me it was late 1968 when he got them, but could have been 69.

25. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

See 'em a copy of this ad!

Attached Files:

26. sunsetdart

sunsetdart

I recently bought 2 15X10 rear & 2 15X6 front. Got them new online ,all polished spokes and rims. They are going on my 50 ply wagon with chopped top. I like them cause they aren't Torque thrusts, which every other coupe at a show has on them. Dare to be different!!!