Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Studs for Buick Drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 550Coupe, Dec 18, 2014.

1. I'm having my Buick drums mounted on early Ford hubs. Does anyone have a part number for wheel studs for this application? My machinist told me the splined area needs to be 5/8" long to protrude through the drum and the Ford hub. Thanks for the help.

Art

2. take a look at Dorman # 610-132 or 610-120

3. Well it doesn't seems 610-132 or 610 120 will work. Knurl length too short. My machinist says I need 5/8" knurl length to catch the drum and hub. I'm using 42'-48" hubs which put the Buick drums on the back side of the hub. These drums will go on my gasser 34' Ford so I was hoping to find studs a little longer than usual, which complicates things. Been on the ARP website and didn't find anything there. Anyone else have a suggestion? Thanks again.

art

4. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I suggest you contact "Andy" here via P.M. or Conversation I guess it is called now. He seems very knowledgable about the exact parts you are working with. Please report back as I would like to know myself.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I've seen grade 8 bolts used before. Haven't done it myself though.

6. Thanks 29AVEE8. I know Andy but I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT! Aug. 92' Rod & Custom page 116 good article on installing the Buick drums. And it gives the part number for new studs...Dorman 610-039. Knurl dia. .625", shoulder length .719" Thd. 1/2" 20, under head length 1.625. When you're up to your neck in old magazines sometimes it takes a while to find things. Thanks again!

7. i'm curious......the hole diameter of the 46-48 hubs is 5/8" , how will a knurl diameter of .625 press into them?

8. You just drill new holes.

9. Used some 610-348 studs in the past, these have a knurl diameter of .658 and fit the original Ford stud holes. These have a longer shank; but we put a AN type washer on the studs before pressing them in.
    If you are going thru the trouble of drilling new holes, just tap the holes and use GR 8
    bolts for studs.