Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Stroker: The Artistic Works of Tom Medley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Stroker: The Artistic Works of Tom Medley

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Jim Kitchen.jpg Kitchen.jpg

He knew Jim Kitchen?

3. Tom Medley ~ The man,the myth and the legion. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks -yes, he was one of one

5. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I received my copy on Saturday. Always admired Medley and Stroker. One of my favorite quotes is: "The only substitute for cubic inches is more cubic inches." The book is a fitting tribute to this wonderfully gifted man who had a huge influence on our hobby. He lived a full and interesting life, we should all be so fortunate. Thanks, Tom.

6. oldoldsnutsandbolts

oldoldsnutsandbolts
    from Butte, MT

This hung on my parents wall for years and I never knew who he was until a few years ago. Such a great talent!
    IMG_3966.JPG

7. Muttley

Muttley

I need to get a copy of this. Here's my favorite Stroker cartoon..............

[​IMG]

8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

9. Tom was as comfortable behind the camera as he was leaning over a drawing table. HRP

BrandonB likes this.
  10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Tom taught me how to shot a magazine feature car with 12 shots. MVC-002S (3).JPG

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ That would be a handy formula to know, and especially challenging if trying to get everything done on just one roll of 120 film! Would you mind sharing the magic 12 shot run down, please? Gary

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Post #3 shows a twin lens reflex camera...not sure if it's a Rolliflex. All of the Petersen photographers were big on these cameras for shooting feature cars and used 35mm for action stuff. I was able to buy Rolli knockoffs (Yashica) at San Diego pawn shops for as little as $35 in like new condition thanks to sailors returning from Japan.

The neat thing about the twin lens cameras was the view finder that you could use upside down. On the other hand, the view finder was off a skosh because you were not seeing what the camera saw due to the fact that there two lens; one for the film and one for the view finder. The cost of color printing in the late fifties and early sixties pretty much called for lots of B&W shots. A car feature usually had between five and seven images.

Choosing the location was pretty critical. I used the quad at SDSU on weekends. Tom's method was pretty simple, two low shots front and rear and two high shots on opposite corners. If it was a custom, a trunk shot and interior. For hot rods, the engine and front suspension along with the interior. Finally, details of some striping, dash or wheels. Some owners want to be in the photos, others not so much. I did my own B&W processing and sent the negatives and proof sheets for the editors to make their own choices.

Tom pointed out that editors would only use five to seven shots so there was no point in burning through rolls of film that wouldn't be used. I have a good friend that edits one of the TEN books and he admits that it's a pain in the ass to go through hundreds of digital shots with very minute differences.

I quit shooting cars simply because the owners were a pain in the ass. I would shoot a car on the first weekend of the month, write the captions/story and turn it in mid-month. When the magazine came out four weeks after the shoot, I'd start getting calls saying, "Why isn't my car in the magazine?".

To give you an idea of what kind of guy Tom was, I had some medical issues and I needed some money for a co-pay. Tom had a check cut for a story that never ran. I know of other stories like that.

mark schanfeldt likes this.
  13. Nobey

Nobey

HOT ROD MAGIZINE SHOW 2013 081.jpg Tom didn't share any magazine expertise with me, but he did tell me how he always got everyone to smile.
    He said he'd line em up and say, (just imagine a big pile of steaming horse shit), they'd laugh and I'd shoot.
    I spent a hour Sunday morning walking around the cars with Tom, at the Hot Rod Homecoming 2013.
    There was a model A sport coupe, that he had upholstered the door panels in the early 50's. His work was
    still there and nice. He had his 40 Coupe there, and was so proud of it. To all the guys that donated their
    time and labor to put it back together after the fire, God Bless you guys, you made him so happy.
    Photo is Tom his car and me, what a great Guy.....

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx for the info and tales. Great stuff. Gary

15. gtmedley

gtmedley

I just discovered this thread. Thanks for the kind words about the book. He had so many talents -- but his biggest was being the best, most loving, caring father anyone could ask for. He was my best friend. All the car stuff was just a bonus.

16. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

God Bless you No doubt your Dad was just as proud of you Your words describe my feeling about my Dad also Thank you

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  17. I've been reading slowly through my copy. The text is just as good as the illustrations. What a wonderful coffee table book and homage to an incredible man.

But damn if the book isn't heavy! :D

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a great time driving to the 1972 Nats in Detroit with Bud Bryan & Tom riding shotgun in Bud's '29 hiboy, Tom always taking pix of our 5000 round trip, Tom always had a funny word, even through downpours!! Detroit Nats 1972 with Bud Bryan & Tom Medley.jpg

20. gtmedley

gtmedley

21. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber