Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straighten A Bent 9" Ford Rear End Housing:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Drive Em

Drive Em

Here is a small pictorial on how I straighten 9" Ford rear end housings. This method will work on any rear end housing. Nine out of ten housings that I work on will require straightening on at least one axle tube. A bent housing will cause uneven tire wear, ill handling and possible bearing failure. Most of them get tweaked or bent through use over thousands of miles and years of use. They can also get bent in accidents, or through serious welding on the housing. There are other methods used to straighten a housing, but I have used this method hundreds of times with excellent results.

I use a heavy I-beam as the work surface because there will be several tons of force being applied to it. My fixture consists of a 20 ton Porta-Power, a heavy steel U-strap that bolts to the I-beam and a regular automotive jackstand that has been modified specially for straightening housings.

I use a housing narrowing jig to determine where and how much the housing is bent. Aluminum mandrels take the place of the differential bearings in a dummy centersection housing:
    [​IMG]

After the dummy centersection is bolted to the rear end housing, this 1 1/2" stainless steel bar slides through the axle tube and through the aluminum mandrels. This gives us an accurate centerline to determine which tube is bent:
    [​IMG]

The end of the housing that will be straightened is supported with the Porta-Power. The red U-strap is attached to a fixture that is bolted to the I-beam. The U-strap has a removeable 1" diameter pin that allows it to be removed easily. The U-strap keeps the rear end housing from moving as pressure is being applied upward from the Porta-Power on the end of the axle tube.
    [​IMG]

The other end of the housing is supported with the jackstand that has a piece of angle iron welded to it allowing the housing to rotate easily. The jackstand can also slide on the I-beam to accomodate different housing widths. The jackstand is used to provide a height equal to the height of the Porta-Power and support the housing, nothing more:
    [​IMG]

Our test subject is a late 60's pickup truck housing that looks good with no visible damage, you would think that this housing is straight by looking at it:
    [​IMG]

Here is the rear end housing on the straightening jig ready for action:
    [​IMG]

There is an aluminum mandrel that slides on the end of the alignment bar and it registers snuggly in the housing bearing end. If the housing is straight, the mandrel will slide on the alignment bar and will slide right into the housing end. You can plainly see that this housing is bent at least 1/4" from square:
    [​IMG]

Once it is determined which way the housing is bent, the housing is rotated 180 degrees from the bend and upward pressure is applied with the Porta-Power. The housing is situated with the U-strap as close to the center "pot" of the housing as possible for more leverage. The U-strap keeps the housing from moving up, but the end of the axle tube is free to bend in the opposite direction of the damage:
    [​IMG]

The housing is tweaked until the mandrel will easily slide into the housing end. The housing can now be turned around to straighten the opposite tube if it needs it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    j-jock likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Nice! do you ever run into rearends that have the ends on at an angle, so the flange is not perpendicular to the mandrel? If so what do you do to fix it?

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

I haven't run into that yet, but the only way to fix it would be to cut the housing end off and weld it on straight.

4. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

How much do you charge to straighten a housing

5. Drive Em

Drive Em

$75.00 for one side, $100.00 for both.

6. Brickster

Brickster

I assume that's if the housing is delivered empty?

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Great post , thank you.

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

Correct. I am not trying to drum up business either. I do this to every housing that I narrow, or work on, and I feel it is an important part of building a hot rod.

9. Larry T

Larry T

If a rearend is tweaked (say 1/4") on a rearend you're gonna narrow, do you straighten it first or take care of it when you weld up your housing ends?
    Larry T

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

11. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

That was a dang good read... thank you for documenting it and sharing with the rest of the class.

-W

12. Drive Em

Drive Em

I straighten the housings before I narrow them because it is easier to straighten a long housing tube than a short one. After the housing tubes are cut, I will check them and straighten again before the housing ends are welded on.

13. gotra66

gotra66

That is a nice jig. I will file this one away for future reference. does that mandrel slide on the end of the steel rod? I am assuming it does to allow for different length axle tubes.

14. Drive Em

Drive Em

Correct.

15. Drive Em

Drive Em

Bump so it doesn't get lost.

16. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

thanx, where can you get the mandrels? or what size is needed if i got them machined here

17. Awesome tech!

18. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Very nice fixture - where do you acquire that U-strap? Where can I get one like that?

19. Drive Em

Drive Em

I bought some fixtures that was used by an alignment shop to bend the I beam axles from the older trucks, and that U-strap was in with all the fixtures.

20. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

excellent tech !

21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool - I just gotta make one of these!

How do you inspect the 1-1/4" diameter steel bar, to make sure it's straight - just rotate it on a couple of v-blocks and check it with a dial indicator?

seb fontana likes this.
  22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

good stuff, thanks for posting!

23. Drive Em

Drive Em

Correct, it is very rigid and very straight.

24. 65stepside

65stepside

just postin so i can find this later

25. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Thanks for posting, great article!!

26. It looks like you could use a rigging shackle to use a the "red strap" on the straightening jig. They look very similar and both are deisigned for heavy loading.

27. dadseh

dadseh

how about just using a big spring shackle U bolt for the strap??

28. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Again, Great post!

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Glad I came across this tonight, excellant TECH post, THANK YOU !

30. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

I just picked up 2 nines, thanks for making this easy to understand, great post