Register now to get rid of these ads!

straight pipes on I6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evilfalcon1961, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Crankhole

Crankhole

Not duals, but I had a straight pipe on my '60 Comet with a 144. Sounded like a dozen leaf blowers....annoying as all hell. I put a 22" Smithy on it and now it sounds like a single leaf blower under water.

2. tequilaworm

tequilaworm

I ran the stock manifold, single pipe with the Cherrybomb Extreme muffler and it sounds good. I'm not a muffler type of guy but those small mufflers sounded good on my 250ci. they're also cheap.

http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/extreme[​IMG]

3. Well, since you're trollin' for suggestions: I've always thought that the sound of an unmuffled engine without headers and a big cam sounds pretty much like a tractor or a boat.

Not hot. Just loud.

Do what you want, but for all the guys who think it sounds hot, there will be another bunch who thinks it sounds retarded.

If having to talk loud to passengers over the exhaust, not being able to hear the radio, and having to worry about cops if you get on the gas all sounds like a good time... go for it.

-Bill

4. l0ngbeach13

l0ngbeach13
    from so cal

not sure about your engine but i have a 250 in my 51 with split manifold and dual 1 1/2 in streght pipes out the rear best sound ever

5. 01Dudley

01Dudley

What kind of should are your looking for? Just loud and obnoxious or deep and throaty?

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

Stock 6's with straight pipe sound like a UPS truck.Worse part is they are slow so it takes a really long time for the car to pass by.

7. Yup. What he said.

8. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

How can you say a 4.3 UPS truck sounds like a six with straight pipes? The trans makes more noise than the motor. Not for long as were are shit canning all those 26 year old trucks as we go.At least we are destroying them never to be heard again.
    1 3/4 pipes and a split manifold with a merg collector,holy crap its pretty nasty sounding.

9. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

I run a 2.25 inch single back to a 2.5 inch dual outlet flowmaster muffler for a '90s camaro off the stock 1968 200ci in my 1964 falcon. i like it, and i have people tell me all the time how good it sounds.

now, i also liked the way it sounded with a straight pipe when i first put it on the road, however, local law enforcement agencies did not share my opinion.

when i get done doing my engine build (crossing my fingers for this winter!) i plan on running duals off a split header with thrush glasspacks. the difference will be that i'll be putting a better trans than my ford-omatic behind and not have to rev on the engine as hard to get up to speed, thus allowing the car to be quieter when need be. let's hope this theory proves true.

10. SlickRick83

SlickRick83
    from merced

I have a 235 in my '54. I had the stock manifold split and blocked off then ran 2" staright pipes all the way back. It's the best sound especially with a manual trans.

11. Blu Cupcake

Blu Cupcake

I have dual side pipes no mufflers on mine. Done by the PO. I like the way they look but at 55 its way to loud inside the car. I should also note that's saying something, I ride Harleys and custom bikes and always have one of the loudest bikes. I like loud...this is too loud. Upon closer inspection I've found numerous holes where they just didn't fully weld up the joints. I'm gonna pull 'em off, cut 'em at the joints, clean up all the "welds", slide in some baffles, weld the pipes back up, paint, wrap and re-mount 'em.

12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

LOUD PIPES SAVES LIFES!!!!!!!!!

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Guess this was "The Obnoxious Thread".
    ...If ya can't impress 'em with perfection,
    Rattle 'em with Backrap.

14. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I'm sure there are people on here that have heard my car at idle and revving. It's a unique vintage sound. I have a big block six, 292, .030 over, ported, polished intake/exhaust ports, 270 Wolverine cam, Large 3" Cast Split Header, 2.5" exhaust with dual 3" Chambered mufflers. Also 6" Echo cans out back. Nice deep rumble at idle, raspy sound when punched and I pity the fool behind me on the freeway!

15. 1pickup

1pickup

Mine's a 250, split manifold, very short glass packs, both exiting in front of the left rear tire. My kid thinks it sounds great. I think it would have been better out the back, but lack of room & a low car dictated their location. It gets annoying with that blasting in your left ear all the time. Run them out the back if at all possible. My flathead has no mufflers, & runs to the rear of the car. Sounds great. But, you can't make a 6 sound like that.