Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Race Artist

Race Artist

Verne,
    Alot of guys used to jump "up class" in the late fifties-early sixties. As long as you met safety requirements of the class you could do so at most tracks. I'm going to post a few pictures to that effect soon.
    Joel

2. Race Artist

Race Artist

Real good shots Dean. I believe this fellow shot these series of Mopar shots at U.S. 30 in Gary Indiana. The red barn in one shot also suggests that.
    Joel

3. Race Artist

Race Artist

Anyone have any information on this one? I've seen another B&W of this car in an old magazine with no caption back in '63-4 or so and have wondered about it ever since. I found this shot on the net with no information. The scan is not that high res so the lettering is not very legible.
    Kenny Simpson maybe from down around the FL panhandle? Simpson's cars carried this name.

Hubert Platt had a similar yellow one out of Nicholson's shop in '62.
    Joel

Attached Files:

4. Joe did run two-fours on the "Little Caboose", I neglected to state that.The photo is from late'61 or possibly early'62. At the Old Bridge 1/16 mile track, they used to have someone physically hod cars on the starting line to prevent the cars from rolling!!! It actually was a roundy-round track that they held drag races on.

5. Hi Joel, The Starliner in the photo came from Bergenfied NJ. The guy I bought the car from in 1989 bought it from the original owner in '66-'67. He proceeded to race the car, mostly at National Speedway in NY,until he was drafted. The car sat from '69(the last time it was even started) until I bought it in '89. I had it running 3hours after I got it home. I ran it at Island Dragway several times in the early to mid '90s with the original Goodyear "blue streak" slicks that came with the car. The car ran consistant 13.8s with the engine that sat for twenty years.Much to my regret (now), I sold the car in '94-'95 to start another project.

6. Dyno Don's '61 409. Unknown where this photo was taken.

Attached Files:

7. Race Artist

Race Artist

THat shot was at the 1961 NHRA nationals, first one at Indianapolis Raceway Park.
    Joel

8. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Joel,
    I know a lot of guys used to jump class but I just didn't mention it. IF there were no other cars there that day in a higher class, you'd be certain of a trophy or $10. as it usually was back then.:)
    Verne

As far as the OL, I've located a Gatti Automotive in the Bronx and I'll be calling them. IT 's a wild idea, but hey, you never know! As for the tribute car, I think it should have the scoop too, but I think I'm getting out-voted. Later pics had "Sound by Miles" on the quarters. We thought he may have made the headers, but according to Jenks he had a muffler shop nearby and he made up the little mufflers and tailpipes that were required for Stock. The car will not be running those - just open headers with the long collectors under the door.

9. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Here's another '61 '09 that's been lost in time. Gene Carter's Thumper.

[​IMG]

10. Miles Muffler shop is still open in York PA. You may want to speak with Mike Strickler, Dave's son about the tribute car. If you are interested PM me and I'll hook you up. Do you know if someone spoke to Mike about this tribute car at the York Reunion show a couple of years ago? Someone mentioned one to him there.

11. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I heard the rumor that someone was doing a tribute car 2 years ago at York but I don't believe anything came of it. The owner and the Grump are supposed to be setting up a meeting with Susie to keep things going properly. The object is to do this right with everyone on the same team.:)

12. Race Artist

Race Artist

Get them to do the white hood and scoop! Seriously.

Joel

13. Got to agree with Joel on this one!!!:D It gives the car character!!!!

14. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

The picture of Dyno Don's 1961 409 was indeed taken at Indianapolis Raceway Park. The give away is the curved road leading out to the drag strip. That is part of the road race course that uses the drag strip and shut down area as the main straight away. As of a few years ago the road course was still being used however there is now walls down the side of the strip and barriers are put in place while the stip is being used.

16. This shot of the Yankee Peddler was taken right after it went off the track at the end. I was the next in line to run when I saw water pouring out from the Peddler. I got out of my car and notified the starter, but Flynn and his crew decided to run anyway;it was a match race, but I forget against who. I don't know if the water played a part in the crash, which wasn't all that bad.

Attached Files:

17. Anybody know anything about this AWB T-Bolt? I took this at Island Dragway,NJ, in 1968.Pretty sharp car.

Attached Files:

18. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Big Red 2. Where is it now?

19. stinsonart

stinsonart

Looks like that old row of trees at the long end of the pits at Milan. There used to be an old water pump there, remember that?

20. That is Jerry Camanito's "Holeshot" T-bolt. I'm not sure whose car that was in '64. Maybe the Far Rockaway car? Dennis K. will probably know..:D Jerry went on to run fuel funny cars into the '90s.

21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I also have that photo. I'm not the one to provide the answer for that car's future, but I "think" it is restored, sans lettering.
    One thing that I always think about regarding these cars is that at every drag race there were 10s if not hundreds of fans who walked around or were in the stands with cameras and took pictures of these cars. All those pictures or movies are still in shoe boxes, closets or attics all across America. I'm hopeful that more and more of those old lost photos taken by "Uncle Joe" will keep floating to the surface for us to enjoy!:)

22. Here are a couple of a very nice model with the hood scoop. I don't know who built it but it appears very accurate. Also included a nice shot of OR1 outside the dealership. Also attached a photo of the second owner racing Strick in '62.

Anybody have any idea what happened to the real car??:confused:

Attached Files:

23. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The car originally was Dobbs Ferry Ford in NY. Driven by Chuck Graap and wrenched by Bernie Golick. The car was destroyed in a towing accident, most likely shortly after that photo was taken. It was SOHC powered at the time.

Regards,
    Dennis

24. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

25. Some concours restorer got the "Locomotion II" Z11 and made it factory new. No lettering, drag equipment etc... Whats the deal with Hubert Platt's "Georgia Shaker" T-Bolt?? It was sold and renamed "Malfunction II" I believe, then rolled over in '65 and destroyed. I heard a replica was built in recent years, but then I heard it was made using the original car!
    -Dean

26. storm king

storm king

DennisK, was that Dobbs Ferry's T-Bolt that was first white and ran S/S?
    We had to run him for S/S eliminator a time or two. That was one bad T-Bolt. I saw it at Dover one weekend with 10" tires on it, and it left the line just like Bonner's Georgia Peach...all four wheels in the air! Three in the air on the 1-2 shift.

27. fanbelt

fanbelt

The Schulz and Shriver Z11 is in a museum in Idabel ok. I still have the Casler tires and wheels off of this car. I really enjoyed the picture as I haven't seen this one before I'll save it for Bill the next time I see him. Jim Shriver

28. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Old Reliable 3, aluminum nose running B/FX. Apparently this car no longer exists?

29. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Old Reliable 2, Bill Jenkins and Dave Strickler. Article the picture was taken from states this car was run for 2 seasons in B/FX, SS/S and A/S depending on configuration, running either a steel or aluminum front end. What a team!

30. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Thanks for responding Jim. Must have been some great times. Curious as to where this picture taken? Could you tell us anymore about the car? Any additional pictures?
    Doug