Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stirrin' the S#!@ for no obvious reason?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Is it just me or would the guy who writes that last page in OSR light himself on fire in a clown suit just to get some attention? His latest written diherria has him commiting about 20 felonies all in a days fun. Is that the "rat rod" image people are after? I just don't get that crap. The flies on his page are there for a reason.

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Whew...I thought I had another Fan Club member there for a second!!:D

Carry on!

3. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Your cool Hack- you been taking some hits? You're just too big of a thinker for some people. That's a good thing in my book.

4. Squablow

Squablow

JimA, I am honestly not trying to be an asshole here, but do you see the irony in your post? A rant on OSR editorials on the HAMB is "stirring the shit for no obvious reason" just as much as the editorial itself is.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I realize you've probably got to keep abreast of the industry, but... you read OSR? I bought one issue and couldn't really stomach it after that. Too many tattoos, too much attitude, not enough cars!

6. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:................

Attached Files:

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I TOTALLY did- but it's such a waste in my mind that I am going to spontaneously combust thinking about the people in my world that are trying to match the "overnight success" that mag has experienced as "the fastest growing title at Barnes & Noble". None of them read it just ask- "what can we do to copy them?". Drives me nuts.

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Now THAT'S FUNNY!!!:D

The Bean Counters want YOU to dumb down enough to reach their (OSR's) demographic!!!

Oh, Man...ha ha ha...that's hillarious!!!!

You gotta be Beavis to compete with Butthead these days!!!

I don't know if that says worse things about the state of "hot rodding" today (carefull...don't go there!)...or for the magazine industry aspiring to new lows!!!

:D :D

9. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Yeah, but not so funny when you think of it as an actual reality. I just had to vent it- probably shouldn't have posted it, but screaming at a tree wasn't nearly as cleansing.

10. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

You talkin' about Carbone? The Wolfman of prose. The "master" of metaphor? I literally quit buying that mag because of him. It's fuckin' dribble. He may be a great guy and all but he's a horrible writer. Pulp Fiction. He'll probably write a stream of consciousness piece on how we "just don't get it". It's the lifestyle man. I'm sure the sheer shitiness of the mag has been discussed before so I'll lay off. Do they have a proof reader on their staff? The Horse is even worse. An English teacher's nightmare.

11. Maybe he just writes total Shit looking for a reaction,
    to see if anyone is reading ?

I might read it,if they printed it in English.

12. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

That pretty much nails it. He writes that he was woken from a night of drunkeness with his underage "wench" by his boss telling him of all the hate mail about him on their website. It made him so mad he smashed his computer against the wall and then got more drunk to jump in his car to go to work and answer the angry e-mails since he no longer had a computer. Along the way in his drunkeness he runs over some stupid old people and then my head exploded so I don't remember how it exactly ended.

On the upside it did make me take the hot rod for a drive tonight. It's cold, traffic sucks but I felt better driving it know what it's really all about. Little kids screaming "DAD! Look at that car!" I'm better now.

13. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

how about everybody go work on their cars.

14. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

Can't. Still trying to figure out Carbone's fucked-up mixed metaphors.

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Do people actually read OSR?? I just look at the shitty cars the feature.

16. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I write it off as a "work related hazard"- but I do slow down to look at a trainwreck.

17. I personally don't care for OSR or the culture it panders to, but on the other hand, R & C gets kind of old by seeing how many George Poteet cars it can cram into one issue.

18. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

So what's the curent record...SIX???:confused: :D

19. Squablow

Squablow

I agree. I let my R&C subscription lapse because there just wasn't that many cars I liked inside, and too many articles seem to focus on advertiser's products.

I've never read OSR, but I have heard a whole heapin' shitload about it already. From what I gather, the cars featured are very homebuilt and very low budget.

Now, I'm not much for painted skulls or iron crosses or flat black with red steel wheels, but I do know that I don't like to read about pro-built, big bucks rods that I will never have. The whole reason I read the HAMB is because the guys on here actually build the cars they're driving, and learn from each other. If I'm reading/subscribing to a magazine, I want that same feeling. I wanna see things that other guys are doing to their cars that I might do to my own. I just don't see that kind of stuff when I read most magazines.

There are only so many 350 crate motor, TH350 trans, MII front suspension, 9" rearended cars that are smoothed off and have shiney paint and wheels on them that I can look at, and putting wide whites on painted steelies instead of 22" bling bling wheels on a rod don't make it traditional.

I think OSR sells lots of copies of magazines because people read them and think "yeah, I could actually do that" and it's lead to a few nicely built cars as well as some real butcher jobs. I think if R&C wants to get those readers, they'll have to print some features on something that came out of someone's garage instead of cars that rolled out of California's rod shops the week before.

Now this thread is double irony since I'm stirring the shit for no obvious reason.

20. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Dude Jim...

You seriously have about the thinnest skin in publication...
    and you are picking on SOMEONE ELSE's writing?!?!! :)

I think we expect OSR to be pretty lame.

21. DrJ

DrJ

Can't drive you nuts. It's only a short walk... ;)

If this isn't an exageration, ask them why they aren't asking their "TEEN and "SEVENTEEN" magazines that "What can we do to copy them?" question.
    After all those other publications are probably closer to the OSR reader group than R & C is.
    R & C is about rods & customs.
    OSR is about juvenile delinquency.
    R & C's readership can NOT by any means be considered the same as OSR.

I thumbed through an OSR when it first came out.
    Cringed at the sight of the skanks.
    Laughed at the shit=piles on wheels and put it back on the shelf hopeing no one saw me even pick it up...
    I looked at another one six months later just to see if they had "grown up" and couldn't tell that it was even a different issue other than the date..
    Same skanky looking "ladies", same shitty looking piles.
    That magazine is "HUSTLER" for 13 year olds.
    That may be why it sells.
    They might as well be comparing R&C's sales to (what's big?) Oprah's "O" magazine sales..... :rolleyes:

It's beyond me why any publisher with dozens of titles would expect each and every one of them to each outsell every other magazine on the market.
    If that were a reasonable case there would be only end up to be one magazine on the one biggest selling topic!

If you want me to Email my part of this to a "boss" say the word.

22. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Is thin skin the same thing as actually giving a shit? Yeah I get defensive more than most, but as I have said before- it's not just a job, I love hot rods and hot rod magazines. Take me out of the job (which may come tomorrow) and that won't change. I can think of a few recent "hot rod pen heroes" that I didn't like because I could see they were "just doing a job" and I get inner satisfaction today when they have nothing to do with rods, and they drive C-5 Corvettes and happily write about driving new BMWs though the Swiss mountains.

I will happily keep the thin skin and the hot rods pumping in my veins. To me it's more than "just a job".

23. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

So I don't guess I've ever heard of OSR,but I don't subscribe to any rags anymore,not in several years.But the pissing contest has piqued my sense of morbid curiosity.
    So what does OSR stand for I assume its an acronym for something.
    T,OUT

24. Squablow

Squablow

It stands for Ol' Skool Rodz, it is a magazine.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Rod and Custom pretty much sucks...

OSR really sucks...

Glad to get that out of the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.