Register now to get rid of these ads!

stewart warner gauge panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Oct 31, 2007.

1. radio_king

radio_king

Here`s the late 40s brochure I referred before:

[​IMG]

2. razorback

razorback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Sweden

Thanks Radio King for your info on date codes! Could not find any numbers on the panel, but on the Speedo it said 530X K6. The tacho (that were 3500rpm not 3000rpm as I said before) were hard to read but might end with K10. June -42 and Okt -42 if I'm not wrong??

3. Mark T

Mark T

Are the engine turned inserts for the Stewart Warner gauge panels aluminum or stainless? I need to make a replacement for one of my panels.

Attached Files:

4. alchemy

alchemy

Stainless

5. deuceman32

deuceman32

If you need an engine turned insert for a SW Ensign ("straight five") panel I have found that the insert sold by Drake for their own clone fits the original perfectly, just make sure its the 3 3/8 size, part number is HR-306-PNL

6. 51lyman

51lyman
    from Vermont

That's my 3 Hole SW Mate at the top of this thread. It belongs in my boat (a 1951 Lyman) which is currently in three different buildings... you know how that goes. Anyway, the pattern in the insert is unusual and I'd like to replace that insert with another as part of the restoration. It's brass, with the plating on the embossed side only. Must have been cut out of a larger sheet already patterned/chromes. I do have two other original brass inserts, but they have woodgraining on them. I always wanted to know how they did the original design done, and if it's possible to replicate it. Any one with any ideas? I know of another boat that has the exact same panel.
    Grant in VT

7. bamaheel

bamaheel

I'll post up my Hollywood panel full of Twin Blue gauges. Long hunt to find the 160 speedo and the 8 grand tach

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  8. Now THAT is gorgeous!:eek: That is the first "blue" speedo and 8 grand tach I've seen. Before this, to me, they were pure myth!!

9. titus

titus

ive become kinda obsessed with guages lately, been scouring the swap meeets, at Iola i picked up about 8 guages, usaully about $3-$5 each, i paid 20 for a nos 2-5/8 vacuum gauge and $40 for a very nice 2-5/8 water temp, all SW gauges. and ive been buying all the old eelco cast aluminum panels i see when they are reasonable, man i have a mental problem!

Attached Files:

10. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Bought this panel and gauges but couldn't find the right dash for it then I saw a '32 roadster dash on the FB. that had already been butchered so I figured what the hell it's just an original '32 roadster dash why not dice it up some more haha.

Attached Files:

11. Does anyone know the accurate overall dimensions of the Hollywood and the Navigator panels? Thanks, Tim

12. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

We have 4 NORDBERG dual fuel diesel gen sets at Starret City straight 8's

13. titus

titus

Navigator = 6-3/4 tall
    9-1/2 on the narrow width
    11 on the wide width

hollywood= 7-1/2 tall
    13-1/2 on the narrow width
    15 on the wide width

14. Thanks, titus, for the helpful info. Now where can I find a navigator 5 gauge panel with large hole center and 2 small holes on either side? Any idea how much I should expect to pay for one?

15. titus

titus

they show up here and there, i paid $150 for the one i have but i think that was a good deal, keep your eyes on ebay, you might find a deal on one or it might go up to $300 but who know. And it depends on what gauges are in it, if they are curved glass wings it will go crazy

jeff

16. Don't need any gauges, just a nice panel. I would go 400 for a nice navigator panel without gauges. Any takers? Thanks, Tim

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

picked this one up at a garage sale for $25.00
    sold it for over $300.00 profit

wish I still had it..

Attached Files:

18. bonesy

bonesy

I had the same set up in my old '32:

[​IMG]

19. mr crocket

mr crocket

You could have major bragging rights with this one

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      533.8 KB
      Views:
  20. titus

titus

Very cool panel, what are your plans for it?

21. mr crocket

mr crocket

PM if interest in panel. Project has gone in a different direction. I dont want to put on ebay. would rather someone get it for a period project.

22. titus

titus

Mine were nickle/chrome? plated brass then engine turned,

JEFF

23. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

mine in my 27 roadster

[​IMG]

24. alchemy

alchemy

Wouldn't surprise me. SW has had many variations/versions of their parts over the years. Maybe the parts sold directly to the marine market had the stainless inserts?

TUDORTOBY likes this.
  25. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Peterbilt trucks ran the Hollywood panel with the gauge holes only and a high beam indicator from 1949 up till 1962 with a dark brown background and curved glass gauges till about 55, not sure about the speedo and tach but the rest two amp,water,fuel,air,and oil were curved.
    Crown buses also ran the Hollywood dash late 50's thru about 64.
    These were the only dashs offered for these vehicles at that time.

26. Gilmore-Global

Gilmore-Global
    from Houston

If this post is against your ToS, please feel free to delete or modify it as the you see fit.

I noticed that a few of you guys were posting some scans, and mentioned that you had libraries of some old Stewart Warner catalogs. I'm building the website for my family business (wholesale & distribution of gauges & related products), and I am hosting an archive of old Stewart Warner catalogs.

Right now I only have the catalogs going back to 1968. If any of you are willing to scan/email/upload .PDFs of the old SW catalogs, I would be more than willing to host them and give you credit on the hosted PDF for your contribution.

Stewart Warner's website is horribly obsolete (I know their webmaster, and she's way overworked), so I figured I'd take matters into my own hands and put together a solid resource for all to have.

The archive can be found here: http://gilmore-global.com/documentation.html

I can be reached at the following emails:
    [email protected]
    [email protected] (use this email after July 30th)

Again, if this is seen as any form of advertisement, please feel free to delete or modify this post, I'll understand.

Thanks for your time.

27. titus

titus

Just picked up a few more gauges today at a swap meet, 3 of them are the "big block" logos, $1 each gauges, figured it was a good did and didnt think id offer him down any!:)

Also attatched is a 32 studebaker guage panel that i got that had no guages in it so i started looking at it, and figured out i could copy the original big to little pattern in it, 3-3/8 speed 2-5/8 oil psi and water temp, and 2-1/8 amps and fuel gauge, the larger gauges fit right in, i have to make the holes for the 2-1/8 gauges just a bit larger.

JEFF

Attached Files:

28. titus

titus

Heres another pic of the stude panel with the stewart warner gauges installed, it needs a new insert but that can wait, and a pic of my "mate" panel that i installed my big block logo gauges and what i think is the era correct speedo.

jeff

Attached Files:

29. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

The panel above actually belongs to me, I posted it originally on Wikipedia years ago.

The oil pressure & fuel gauge are currently in my roadster:

Attached Files: