Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical STEERING, Cowl Steering Tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -, May 18, 2004.

1. BTTT, this post is too good to let die.

2. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Welll, this isnt totally on topic with the thread but related...

Why is it every weld one REALLY REALLY must depend on has to be tigged? Does it penetrate deeper or something?

uh oh... uhhhm... yeah, thats what SHE said... er...

3. Burned, my pal and mentor Randy welded my pitman arm. He had his choice of welders for it. (Pro level chassis builder) He went with the Mig over the Tig due to less heat, penetration, and the differecne between the cast splined bung and the mild steel arm.

4. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

TIG is only as good as the dude doing it, and if he is real good then TIG is the best weld for him use to use, as it is far more precise and controllable than MIG or stick welding. It's also cleaner, less heat involved for the size of the weld and does less damage to the surrounding metal, with sparks and slag and stuff.
    Having said that, I don't have a TIG welder, (can't afford it) haven't used one for years, and do all my chassis work with arc, because it is a basic solid welding tool that is good enough for most jobs and fairly quick too.
    If any single component is delicate enough to require a perfect weld, then I will make that comnponent twice the size it needs to be, twice as strong as it will need to be, and leave nothing to chance.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    If any single component is delicate enough to require a perfect weld, then I will make that comnponent twice the size it needs to be, twice as strong as it will need to be, and leave nothing to chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

wise words.

Paul

6. atch

atch

good stuff like this deserves to stay near the top for a couple more days...

7. Hell, it deserves to be in the Tech-O-Matic.

JH

8. AssGasket

AssGasket

Clark, how is the modified..???

Oh, I can almost guarantee he used a MIG for this...

Clark can fucking weld, man...

9. touring20

touring20

You are the most whaaaaaaaat ???????