Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Steel In Motion, 2014!!! May 16 and 17, Union S.C.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Geargoyle Curtis, Jan 4, 2014.

1. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

2. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

3. Thanks to Curtis and the Geargoyles & Iron Lords, had a really good time out there and what an awesome show the South East Gassers out on. I might have blew the engine in my car and ran down the track like shit but non the less it was fun! Anyone looking for 7 rods& pistons and a head? Hahaha just kidding, although I tore the engine down today and the crank seems to be unscathed, good news there... Might just need 4 pistons and 2 rods & 1 head and the car will be back on the road. Looking forward to next year and this time I'll have some slicks to hook up better and maybe even get a holeshot!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    BloodyKnuckles likes this.
  4. Got a few pics for anyone interested ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400631426.338881.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400631440.155295.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400631454.588537.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400631463.722131.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

BloodyKnuckles likes this.
  5. luckystiff

luckystiff

anybody know what the "motorvation" is in the patina'd blue/white f100 unibody(the med/dark blue not he pale blue truck)? i only saw him run once right after the headlight to the track incedent but it was pretty quick. walked by a few times to see if i could catch a glipse under the hood or catch the owner around but no luck......

6. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

7. Holy crap Moparob :eek: Man that thing grenaded!!!

8. Rob what do you think was the reason all that stuff let go? It looks like pretty stout rods and pistons. If the crank is ok the oil must have been up to pressure.

9. HaHa yep that's whats left of the No6 cylinder, the rest looked ok but I wont know till it get a full once over and mag particle checked.

10. Still trying to figure out how to do muti quote....
    Yep that cylinder was destroyed, when we pulled the intake I saw the piston was upside down in the crank case! HaHa it happens I guess, now I know what I need to do to build a better engine.

11. Not to much Tony,
    When I was running down the track the engine never got above 185deg and the oil never dropped below 40psi. I have been searching for the exhaust valve for a good minute and have not found it, I am gonna try and see if its in the right bank exhaust. As far as I can tell I encountered high rpm valve float from either the lifters failing or the springs getting weird harmonics in them on No6, It is a full Comp roller set up so I thought it was bullet proof, guess not. It looks like the exhaust valve broke first and caused the chain reaction, the funny thing is it was a clean break. On the bright side the crank looks undamaged and all the bearings looked good as well, lucked out there! I wanted to say thanks again for the Beer Coozie, and next year ill bring enough fire wood for two camps....Haha

I did find a nice running 64' 383 out of a Newport for a few hundred bucks so atleast the Coupe will be back on the road soon.

12. Enough wood for 2 camps. That's funny right there. Organization is not one of our strong points. You sure bailed us out with the firewood! It would have been almost impossible for PBRmeASAP to keep that bullhorn going past midnight without a good fire! If you guys want to go to Viva Atlanta over July 4th let us know, Cabbage owns a campground ;)

13. yah, who let me at that thing the second night....ya should have know better after the first night....haha

14. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Rob
    I am in NC and have built Mopars for near 30 y
    ears --Mopars are are we do--I have lots of parts and have a shortblock ready to go would make you a deal on call me 704 244 6649 David K in Big Lick NC

15. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I called Tommy (the blue 1940 Chevy Gasser; The Old Skool Outlaw) to find out more about Nostalgia Butch. I had to call him, Because Tommy only has one phone, no texting, does have a computer but "only uses it as a tool". He's been a member of the HAMB since 2005 and has 3 post.

David Hirst is his name but goes by Nostalgia Butch, Sparky or Mindbender(rodeo world). He grew up in NC. He's a Air Force Vietnam Veteran. After Vietnam he had a difficult time adjusting to the way things were. He found work as a rodeo clown out west. The rodeo life fit him well, he enjoyed making people smile, laugh, saving people when needed and being on the road. Fast forward to the early 90's when Butch meet Tommy on the rodeo circuit. They both loved old cars and racing and became good friends. Tommy said "he always felt safe if Butch was on the arena floor". He knew if something went wrong Butch would do anything needed to keep the riders safe.

Today, he still enjoys making people smile and helping Tommy were he can (Southeast Gassers). The two have lots of great stories together. Butch loves nostalgia Drag racing, Vintage modified round track cars and the 50's and 60's time period. Has no phone or computer.

Tommy told me one story about; The time some young man with two others at Lancaster, SC Speedway tried to steal Nostalgia Butch's Ford van (the alien crash investigation unit vehicle).
    While in there hast to get into the van, failed to see Tommy sitting in the passenger seat with a loaded firearm. SUPRIZE SUPRIZE!!

People ask me if Butch is crazy? No he is not, he's like a garter snake, he may scare you at first but he's as scared of you as you are of him. He wouldn't hurt a fly, he just enjoys doing things different then most.

16. What a boring world we would live in if everyone acted the same :cool: ;)

17. Pudge87

Pudge87

Thanks for the bio on Butch. The clown mask might be a throwback to the rodeo days. If you sit back and watch him, it's almost as fun watching the SEG's.

18. 'ol chevy, thanks for the rest of the story. He sounds like an interesting cat...here are a couple of pics from the Greer Gasser event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5wcoupehunter likes this.
  19. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

damn great coverage here from a great event. really nice pics. i'll guess i'll throw some random images into the mix. Rob is that you being towed?
    S.I.M-180.jpg S.I.M-269.jpg S.I.M-213.jpg S.I.M-186.jpg S.I.M-107.jpg

5wcoupehunter likes this.
  20. More great pictures! Butch and Tommy = cool.

21. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Good times.

He makes me laugh everytime he starts horse kicking to tell tommy to start his burnout. :D

22. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great shots Seadog andf Firepower71!

23. Man...yall wore that bull horn out! It kept me entertained both nights.

Rob - I'm amazed you still can't find that exhaust valve. Maybe it's rattling around in a muffler now. You definitely made sure that engine was done.

Tony - Are you guys planning to be at VivaAtlanta? I'm considering going.

Ol'Chevy - Thanks for the story. Good to know the history. That's guys a hoot.

24. You guys should have come over and gotten some more wood we had plenty, you guys were had us all cracking up with the bullhorn & random cars starting up! Me and Chris might roll out to Viva Atlanta, I myself if I can get the new engine in and work in a few shakedown runs am game. Probably just bring a sleeping bag and crash in the Coupe.

26. Ill definetly keep ya in mind David for when I get ready to rebuild the 496. As far as the engine goes the crank looks real good and I have an extra set of -4cc flat tops so all Ill really need is some 6.535 rods with a 2.200 x 0.990 ends and a head to match the one I chewed up or I might try and save my lunch money and get a highend set & run offset intake rockers.
    I was albe to locate a nice running 64' 383 out of a newport to drop in the Coupe and get it back on the road and I am going to swap out the 35 spline axles/ 4:56 spool for a 2:76 open rear for drivabilitys sake and get down to Viva Atlanta if I can work it.

27. Yeah man but It comes with the territory and Ill admit it, I ran the engine outside of the limits I built it for and paid the price. Haha it happens

28. Thanks to the Geargoyles and Iron Lords for putting on a helluva good show, and putting up with the likes of us. Thanks too to whoever found my phone... the damn thing still works!

This is what I want to be doing when I'm 76! Awesome to see Dirty Ol' Man making runs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bunch more pics here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/12284966@N06/sets/72157644756125072/

30. This is a bitchin' picture.