Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steam-Powered Inspiration.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Right up my alley. Playing with steam powered stuff is fun. One day I'll finish my 1.5" scale locomotive.

2. WHAT???? and you didnt drag that "Barn Find" home to restore it (or get side tract making a kustom????) lmao , love the old stuff too i do , around here theres tractor showes in sequim , and the antique powerland in brooks ore.

3. Willy301

Willy301

Great, now I am trying to figure out how to make my collection of Maytag 2 cycle engines connect together so I can power a hot rod with them =D

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how could a person not think that is cool?

5. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

There is a very cool show in Kent Ct on Sept 28-30 '12 put on by the Ct Antique Machinery Assoc. They have permanent displays of stationary steam engines, hit & miss engines along with all kinds of old tractors & heavy equipment, old cars, some rods & old trucks.

Check it out

6. goetzcr

goetzcr

At the risk of nerding out, I'd say James Watt is one of my all-time favorite inventors.

7. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Thanks for the tip!

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

I always make time for a Steam show.I started going in the late 70s and still go to them..even have a couple of steam models I'll play with this winter.

9. VERY COOL!
    I'd rather see this than 26,000 straight axle "gassers"
    Steam power is hardly obsolete, it's the basis of nuclear power. the reactor heats water that turns turbines, either creating electricity or turning a shaft ( as with ships and subs).
    Not just nuclear either! Steam is VERY powerful, much more so than internal combustion because of it's expansion.
    I LOVE old machinery. no matter what type, I'm glad the HAMB can show some of it.

10. Here's four of those quaint old steam engines at work!

[​IMG]

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Flat awsome to see something like that doing it's deal like that. My grandfather used to tell stories about his first real job, which was as a fireman on a huge steam threshing machine (I think that's the right terminology) up in Northern North Dakota in the early twenties. He was about 13 or 14 at the time, and said during harvest, they'd work 16 hour days to pull in the crop.

He used to tell stories of a year or so later leaving ND. to drive down to Texas to work in the oil fields in a "terrible, beat up Model "T", Hell, it didn't even have a seat!"... Found a picture of him once at about 16 years old, covered in oil leaning on the coolest damn speedster you could imagine! There, hot rod content!

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The ingenuity of a Stanley power train is incredible; That much raw power, all tucked neatly under the rear seat, and direct drive to the axel! As I understand ,...it's said that no one has ever been able to find out just HOW fast one of those would go.

4TTRUK

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it has everything to do, we are all big kids and love all these old "toys" , if you can't understand the appeal to someone who loves to tinker with old machines that most people call junk, then you don't get it at all, I grew up with a dad and uncles who loved this stuff, and I got to see a lot of the old machines in Northeastern Ohio before they were turned into scrap, my grandfather who died right before I was born was a train nut, It's all the same, the same thing that makes you love to work on old Hot rods is the same thing that makes you like all kinds of old oddball machinery. One of my favorite things growing up, and probably lots of folks on here, was going to these shows with all this old machinery and getting to see it work. :D

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

That steam shovel and her sisters build a lot of highways!:D

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

sorry had to post, if you look close in the video, you can see the shovel smiling, this thread made me feel like a kid again as my dad would read me this book when I was little, I am so grateful for the folks who work so hard to bring these machines to life, it's also very difficult to get a steam powered machine like this liability insured, this is the same issue that train restores run into.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mallorymcinnis/6733351853

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I had my car up there 2 years ago.
    I think its time to piss out the stock guys again

Attached Files: