Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spray on Chrome ??... Has anyone used it ??...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HipCat427w, Jan 7, 2017.

1. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

This stuff looks wild man. Has anyone used this technique on their car ? Is it durable? Will it work on engine parts ? Bumpers ? What are the limitations?
    Looks easy...
    Link:

Thanks, Paul....

wicarnut likes this.
  2. Ghost28

Ghost28

I wonder what the prep for the original surface has to be

3. It photographs better than it actually looks and it's isn't durable. One guy here tried it on some garnish moldings and it didn't survive the installation process.

4. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Oh ok... The wife is trying to get her 52' bumpers ( don't say it !..lol.. ) squared away. She found these videos and I had never seen this before. It is a wild lookin transformation.
    Thanks, Paul...

joel likes this.

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Does NOT replace chrome - it's just paint - soooo treat it like paint.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. 07-15-11_1130.jpg The grille surround on this GMC was done with it. The grille and bumpers were repop pieces.

7. verde742

verde742

where was it done ?

8. Believe it or not it was done by a couple of guys that worked at a body shop in Texarkana, Tx. about 5 yrs ago. I can't recall the shop name though. We had a few small parts, such as the ashtray and dome light bezel, done also. I did all of the assembly work myself and treated it all just like you would any other painted parts. Cost was about a 1/3rd of what chroming it would have cost at the time.

9. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I had some interior dash pieces done but the clear coat didn't hold up very well. Don't think I would use it on any exterior items. It was $100/sq ft so not what I would call low cost.

Attached Files:

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search - subject covered before - as stated, not a replacement for the durability of chrome, etc

X38 likes this.
  11. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I had these brass letter blanks sprayed because they were too small to plate the conventional way. It was done in California some years ago and worked out well. 100_0345.JPG 100_1609_resized.jpg 100_1614_resized.jpg

Hubnut and Max Gearhead like this.
  12. I had these wheels professionally done using this process. The finish looks great even up close but it's more of a paint type finish and not very hard. If you rub it with your finger you'll see marks on it like a "show car" paint job. Not sure if any marks will buff out which I haven't tried, but this makes me wonder about durability. I dropped a lug nut on a rim lip when installing one wheel and it chipped out a pencil diameter size piece. The coating is fairly thick. I'd say about 3 to 4 times as thick as a normal paint job.

1957 Ford Thunderbird 2016 02 e SMALL.JPG

1957 Ford Thunderbird 2016 02 d SMALL.JPG

13. RmK57

RmK57

Who cares about the chrome when you've got the ultimate V8 in your car!

14. RmK57... Not my car.
    I work for a museum and collector assembling and maintaining his stuff.

15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the garnish moldings in my avatar. It is definitely a paint process. I had 4 reputable platers quote the moldings $1800 to $2400. Indy paint in Brownsburg In charged < $600. Looks good---not chrome.
    I tell about the wear yet; it's not installed.

Corvette Fever likes this.
  16. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Thanks you guys !!... Best hotrod forum on the net... Thanks!!...
    P.S... Car goes to the interior shop this week, it will be back on the road by the end of the month !! Whoo Hoo !!....

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Had this bumper done on my Cadillac better than six years ago...cost me $400. It's now starting to fade and it's not the clear that's fading...it's the silver under it. This photo was taken two years after I had it done. There's nothing that will replace real chrome...but if you need something shiny to get you by for a few years, it works well.

R-

DPP_0006.JPG

mgtstumpy, kiwijeff and HipCat427w like this.
  18. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Thank you !... There is a PVD place not far from here. I will check it out during the week and report back.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ricks Garage - Thanks for PVD link

20. You know what Jon Arbuckle says! "You Get What You Pay For";)

21. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

This process has its place but you have to understand its limitations. I had a pair of signal lamp lenses done a number of years ago, they are now starting to check. They have always been indoors and never even got wet. What is nice is that the part can be masked off so only some areas are coated.
    I would like to find a source that would spray some dash parts for me.

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't really care for chrome, but, when I do want chrome, I'll wrap tinfoil around something and call it a day. "I am, the most uninteresting man around. Enjoy life my friends..."

23. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I have seen it and it looks more like polished aluminum than chrome but id paint an will scratch easy. My suggestion is save up and get real chrome over copper/nickel plating . There is no substitute.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. This subject comes up regularly and guys line up one after another to say "don't cheap out, get real chrome" etc etc etc. ad nauseam.

When it comes to bumpers and such I agree, but there are plenty of small interior bits (especially in '50s and early '60s cars) that are either plastic or pot metal that are hard to chrome or un-chromable, small jobs that are cost-prohibitive, or guys (like me) who live in places where the chrome shops have all gone to the big junk yard in the sky.

I've got a '59 Edsel dash in my shoebox and I made some pieces to fill in places that I modified, I need to find a way to match the factory chromed pot metal insert. So far the only solution I can come up with is spray-on. Even if I could find a chrome shop within a reasonable distance, I'm unlikely to get a friendly response when I walk in with my 4 little pieces of dash insert.

Here's a pretty interesting thread about spray chrome. It got shut down because fake chrome ain't cool, but there's a lot of good reading...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/diy-spray-on-chrome.674441/

Hnstray likes this.
  25. dave24v

dave24v

I've been using this spray on chrome for the past year now, and I've noticed that there is now a spray chrome ''remover'' in case your piece went wrong in the process, .... Does anyone here have any idea what this chemical is to remove it by just spraying it over the part and it vanishes from the part before your eyes!

26. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I just watched that same video last night on the net. I think it might have its place (interior knick knacks, etc.) and looks like you can do it yourself which is a big plus in my book.

stu56 likes this.
  27. dave24v

dave24v

I've been trying all sorts of liquids (oven cleaners, WD40 etc) with no luck! ... I've also tried the activator that comes with the solutions (just before the chroming process) and it comes off easily but you have to wipe it with a cloth to do so, .... Wondering to add something else to this chemical.

28. dave24v

dave24v

Here is the link ... Silver / Chrome remover.

29. Since the bulk of the comments lean toward the finish being delicate, I wonder if it can be clear top coated ???

quicksilverart46 likes this.