Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sports Car Bodied Drag Cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Jun 20, 2007.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

GREAT thread. i LOVE Kellisons and i've seen some Cheetahs i'd give and unused appendage for!!

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Never seen an Astra before......way cool.....I dig the rear 1/4's....

3. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I was just wondering when someone was gonna post a pic of that little woggie.:cool:
    I hope he brings it again this year and gets to run it.:D

4. Ol' Drippy

Ol' Drippy

There is a Berkely on the Detroit craigslist right now, man those things are tiny.

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

i keep tellin' those guys, they ain't got a hair on their ass if they don't make some hard passes with that thing...:D

6. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Remember this one?

Attached Files:

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

Attached Files:

• race.jpg
      race.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
  8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Alex,
    Are any of the bodies still in reproduction today?
    Glenn

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Plenty of Cobra Replicas,
    there are one or two guys making Cheetah kits ( you could probably get a seperate body...),
    Devin's show up on Ebay a couple of times a year ( sometimes unbuilt body's),
    and Berkley's too ( Surprisingly often... Didn't know they sold that many in the States...)

There are 'Glass Replica bodies made off the Austin Healey,
    and a scaled down version of the E Type ( made to fit a Ford Cortina Mk3 donor, they show up on UK Ebay every once in a while )

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A couple of "reworked" Berks. :)

Attached Files:

11. gowjobs

gowjobs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some rear-engined Fiat-Abarths- might be fun with a small block in the middle.
    [​IMG]

A couple of newer-style ones:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a few I started in scale:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 39delux

39delux

I hope it wasn't hurt too badly. So many of these cars just sit and never get fixed up so it is sad to see one that's on it's way back get damaged. I know the feeling. My strap came loose once and I litterly pulled the trailer right out from under my '59 Vette pulling away from a stop sign many years ago. Fortunately it was almost stopped when this happened and it just cracked the front valance in a few places. I still haven't fixed it yet but I need to over winter this year. Got plans for next summer.

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

Gowjobs, where did you find that pic?

I'm working on a Abarth Zagato right now...

14. gowjobs

gowjobs

metalshapes - that's my buddy's shop. He has another double-bubble in another shop across the street that he's also restoring for a customer. A silver 750 Zagato he restored a few years ago took fourth in its class at Pebble Beach, and ever since he's been inundated with little aluminum-bodied Fiats to restore. He's just itching to build a rod again - he's sick of working on Italian crap.... lol.

Note - that Zagato in the pic is a real rarity, and is his personal car - the only 750 Zagato with documented factory discs in front. he's been thinking about taking it vintage racing before he gets around to "really" restoring it. We've also been talking about taking molds off the body before then, too.

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cool, thanks for the Info.

I have a bit of work to do on this one...

Attached Files:

16. plumpcars

plumpcars

That little green and white monster in the U.K.is a Berkeley T60 as has been said ,owned and raced by Gerry Cookson back in the seventies/eighties. His son Jerry is now an official at Shakespeare Raceway in the U.K. I had the pleasure of racing against this car many times as we were both in the modified class. I ran a Cleveland powered 65 Mustang. The Berkeley ran a blown Lotus 4 cyl and it really screamed and was quick. Luckily I beat him most times!
    Kellisons and Cheetahs? Two of the most aggresive looking cars of all time in my book. Superb! We had plenty of specials in the U.K. but although looking good in photos they often did not appear big enough in the flesh. Many were designed for early Anglia mechanicals so ended up being tiny but I think Allards got it right. When drag racing took off over here in the sixties many people used the bodies from specials as they were cheap and available at the time. Sometimes they looked good...other times just plain weird.
    That earlier pic of the smokin' Healey also does it for me in a big way!

17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Jim Kellison went down to Sacramento and told the Jag dealer he'd like to demo an XKE by driving it to Lincoln CA and return it the next day. Crew worked all night covering the coupe with Saran wrap. pulled a mold and Jim returned the car none the worst for wear. Jim was one of the more colorful clients! Made big bucks doing water slides and porta-potties.

18. cheetahswin64

cheetahswin64
    from Salem CT

Hello, I'm trying to contact "SPACECRAFT" I'm looking for info on the devin bodies you mention. The email link on this site isn't working. PLease email me at [email protected] Thanks !! Mike

19. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

I gave your email address to the guy in charge, he will get you the info. Be patient he's off for the holiday.

20. cheetahswin64

cheetahswin64
    from Salem CT

Hello again. Thanks !! I just missed a sale of two I believe were from your shop. I have an old vette chassis I want to put a devin on and build a 50's retro sports racer. Sincerely. Mike

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hell Yeah! I like the previously posted Bugeye Sprite too.

22. Check out that blower belt whip!

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

I think that's a metal guard. If not...HOLY CRAP!

24. Looked again.....yer right:eek: .

25. monsterflake

monsterflake

you know, that's from the same shop as your 'favorite' truck, the pink freak thing...:p

26. cheetahswin64

cheetahswin64
    from Salem CT

Hey I can try to get pics of my buddies 57 triumph tr-3 with sbc and 4 spd !!! I believe it's for sale.

27. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Took me a while to find them, but I took these pics last November at the vintage drags out west of Phoenix at Speedworld.
    This was in the pits pretty close to ShakeyPuddin's '55...
    Anyone know anything about this car?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. DrJ

DrJ

Keep lookin at these pics...and lookin at the Volvo 1800S in the back yard... and lookin at these pics again... Hmmmm?

29. nexxussian

nexxussian

Well, it looks like a Triumph Spitfire, especially in the front (even 4 lug :D)but I dont recall a hatchback version.:confused:

30. metalshapes

metalshapes