Register now to get rid of these ads!

Split Wishbone Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stock Racer, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Planning out and accumulating parts for my 27 T Coupe build. I'm going to use a dropped Model A axle with 37-41 style spindles and F100 brakes. I have a Model A wishbone but it looks to short for my liking and has no caster. In searching other threads about bones, I see I will need 37 or later bones to get the enough clevis span. My question's: Is there a prefered year wishbone for either strength or appearance? Would cutting off the spring perch create any issues?

2. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Set the wishbones up to look good on the car, matching lines, etc. . . Then you pie cut the wishbone up front, about a half inch before the cast end to set up your caster.

Model A wishbones are the shortest, as the years go on they get longer.

You can always extend the bones you have.

3. F&J

F&J

no

The later 40s bones have an s or z bend, sometimes this might help if the bones are split, but stuck under the frame a bit.

4. 117harv

117harv

Model A bones do have caster, and you can increase it by mounting the bones lower. You can also make a pie cut just behind the clevis, bend and reweld to gain more.

The later bones are stronger and longer than the A's and will work fine. You will have a longer wheelbase using them though if your ride is chanelled. If the frame shows they can run back past the cowl.

I sure type slow:)

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is an article in the new Rod and Custom that discusses just that. It also goes into detail on what Zombie Hot Rod said about pie cutting the bones to set caster.

The article is the usual "look at these new parts you can get" magazine tech article but it does show some new 32 style bones that Fatman is making.

6. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

I'm using some model A Cast bones fronts inserted into and welded to '46 rear bones tubes set at the caster I wanted to get the length I wanted.

7. aren't the rear bones WAY weaker than the fronts? I've heard of a lot of guys that use front bone tubes on the rear, But never the other way. they all comment that the fronts are way stronger.

8. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Going to channel. I want the bottom of the body to line up with the bottom of the frame. The wheelbase will be pretty long. I like the front wheels almost entirely in front of the radiator. Guess I should start getting some measurements down on paper to make sure I can fit a 40" bone.

It's off to Borders.

Cool, I do want the bones parallel with the rails.

Thanks to all for the responses.

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

46-48 rears are much stouter than earlier units, thicker walled, probably on par with model A front wishbones. Still not sure what the point of welding the front clevis' into the rear bones would be though...

10. I think these are rear wishbones, used up front. I am probably wrong! They could be custom one off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]