Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sound Check: 4, 6, 8...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 25, 2014.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

Y Blocks and Nailheads have the same firing order (even though the manufactures label the cylinders different) and I think both have a distinct sound. I built a set of tri-y's for my 322 and I can't wait to hear it!

4. Bluedot

Bluedot

Well gents, this is a little off topic, but one of my faves for sound is an aircraft radial engine. We had A1Es flying cover for us on missions into Laos (when we "weren't really there"), and listening to them idle on the ramp was really cool. They had a real rumpety rump sound.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Great posts !! I dunno' how to really describe the feeling that I get....when exposed to a barely able to run aviation fuel anything....no matter the size....or application. Aircraft, tractor,boat, hot rod.....anything pushing more then 12:1 compression on over the top octane and barely able to idle....more so....listening to it's sweet spot at 80 to 105 % power. I love it.

Not practical, but none of my favorite things are..........wine, women, and song......we all have to tap out somewhere.

Just the smell of a fuel engine always makes my nose twitch and eyes water for the right reasons......then again......so have the previously listed. I'm ruined I tell you.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. I'll always be a v8 guy. First car had a sbc with a 300hp cam and a nice set of street gears and very short glasspacks. 4000rpm on the interstate. People always got over when they heard me comin'. Love the sound of about any domestic v8 (designed before emissions) with glasspacks. Especially when it's screaming it's guts out.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had a 70 Z/28 with the original LT-1 back in the early 80's. solid lifters and 11-1 compression, stock except for headers. for me there are few cars that sound as good as a solid lifter SBC.... especially uncapped.

weirdly enough I also had a 73 Datsun truck with a 2.0 with a weber and 2" pipe and a glasspack that I thought sounded cool as hell.

8. I just love the sound of a kid razoo-ing his Toyota 4 banger with a beautiful 6" diameter thing that looks like a coffee can sticking out the back.

9. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  10. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Running a 350 with a mild cam & headers. Time for new exhaust. Right now I have old glass packs dumped not far behind the cab.
    Looking for a little more rumble. How will running the exhaust all the way out the back affect the sound?

Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

My 3 in order are ford flathead with open lake pipes , Y block with split system , SBC with hi compression and big cam

12. Muttley

Muttley

My Comet sounds pretty good with it's ancient 289 and a pair of worn out Cherry Bombs:

Someday when I have some extra cash I'm planning a new set of pipes and a pair of Powersticks.

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The BRM V16 may have been the wildest sounding racing engine of all time. I think the horsepower was more like 600, but this is from a 1.5 liter engine (91 cu in) turning 12,000+ RPM.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like V8s best. The best sounding exhaust I ever had was a racy flathead with headers, 30" Porter steelpacks, and megaphones. Goofy thing was that I lengthened the tailpipes about 6" to extend them out to the rear bumper, and it completely killed the beautiful sound it had before.

I had a 312 Y-block with short glasspacks that made an authoritative racket, but it wasn't very pedestrian-friendly.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I live in San Pedro, a port town with a lowrider population of aging longshoremen. Without exception their rides are early Chevy 6's with split manifolds and short mufflers: LOUD. RAP. Interesting thing to see these grey-haired guys driving their immaculate early Chebbies at a very civilized speed, but with the pipes barking away. The sound is like a badge of honor.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Great thread...Larry's SBC and the 392 Hemi are wicked.....sounds like war! However, I think we need to hear more videos with throttle cracks.....yeah.... a little blower whine on that 392.

17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

throttle crack ? not a 392 or a blower but definitely a throttle crack

slack and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I've posted this one before,
    a clip I made a few years ago of a fresh built T outside Amocat Speed Emporium in Puyallup WA

hrm2k likes this.
  19. I'm sure many or most will disagree, but in my opinion, anything with less than 8 cylinders is just noise.

20. That's hilarious! You've successfully recruited a new hot rodder!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Some buy into the adage "there's no replacement for displacement" yet have trouble getting 1/2 of that power with 4 times as many cubic inches.

22. PWolf

PWolf