Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 33 34 FORD, 392 HEMI - SOMEDAY CAR BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392HEMI4SPEED, Feb 8, 2009.

1. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a very cool build dig the photos of the progress

2. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Not much going on lately (unfortunately). Not that I don't think about it all the time, just too busy with work and kids. Most of this build happens in the fall/winter for me because I work for myself and usually I'm slower those months. So, in a few more months, will start making headway again.

About all the progress I can give you is that I:

1. Had my 34 Plymouth Instrument Cluster totally restored, got that back about a week ago.
    2. Had my 51/52 Buick Tail Light bezels (potmetal) re-chromed
    3. Received my rear 1/4 panels from S.A.R. along with my louvered decklid
    4. Picked up a Tachometer
    5. Picked up a pair of original spring perches
    6. Had my valve covers and the custom 4-duece scoop I made powder coated

Probably could save the 1/4's, but I want this body as nice as possible and I did not want a bunch of filler in the rear 1/4's. I figured the time and money to get them right was worth the price of the 1/4's and I will sleep better at night for years to come. Will sell 1/4's in the future, maybe someone can use parts of them (plus I sold the rear tips many months ago).

Have the floors layed out in the car and the tunnel all built, but that is where I stopped working. Need to weld the floors pieces together yet. Still have some work to do on the roof and such, small areas to cut out and replace with new metal.

I'm going to use the transmission and bellhousing that was in the car when I found it, just to keep it kind of the way it was. It has an old school bellhousing that bolts to a T-10 transmission. Don't know who made it, pretty plain looking, just round and smooth. I don't know what the T-10 (iron) came out of originally, I'll have to research that someday. Do have a bellhousing and adapter plate to mate the Hemi to a Muncie (in case I went that route), but I'll probably just sell that here one of these days along with a Muncie I have stored.

3. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Ya, I think that Nickel might be the way to go Fancisco like you say.

4. GOGT4ME

GOGT4ME
    from washington

Hey 392Hemi4spd that is a awesome build you got going there. Does the engine have the standard bore? cant wait to see more pictures.

5. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Hey Brian, "Great Thread" I can relate as I am going through a 33 5w build myself. Good to see another one Chock Full of inspiration. KUDOS!!!!!!!!

6. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Well, been awhile, sure many can relate to lives with jobs and kids. I've made some progress the last couple months when I had time to work on it. I honestly did not touch this car for almost 8 months (since last winter). Amazing how much a guy can get done when he actually has time to work on something.

As discussed before, I decided to scrap the original 1/4's and go with repo's from SAR, that seriously lowered the car slush fund. Also lowered the car slush fund for a new louvered decklid. Then again lowered the slush fund for a new matching louvered roof insert! Slush fund has been near empty for quite sometime now, LOL. I think many can relate to that sometimes. Anyways, I think the louvered decklid and roof insert will look really nice together and compliment the build style I have in my mind.

So, where am I at with this thing. Got the rear 1/4's off and mostly welded on. Need to finish some welding on those to seal off the holes and get the rockers onto the car. Left off last spring with the floors just layed out in the car and the tunnel built. Been so long since I've worked on it, things are starting to get dust rust on them. Plan to have the whole car media blasted at somepoint, so it will all get cleaned up before paint (SOMEDAY!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had one hinge that was broke from the original decklid. So, I knew I was going to have to repair that. Decided instead to modify the whole deal. Henry just had two small brackets that came down to the floor. But the new decklid from SAR is pretty darn heavy and I could see there was going to be a lot of flexing in the hinge areas below the rear window and in the body below the window, so I added a large plate for stability. I first added gussets to the hinge plates and then welded the hinge plates right to the large plate. HUGE increase in strength and stability, rock solid now. Still need to go back in there and finish up some welding and clean up the welds a bit (I'm a newbie welder so it isn't perfect!, but I'm slowly getting better). I save the critical tig welding for those with experience. I've tried it a bit, but still need more practice (when I get some extra time).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll add a sneak peek of my intake setup.

I want all HAMBERS to REMEMBER they saw this here first.

I took an old Cal Custom Panther Scoop from the late 60's (you could buy one then for $9.00! based on the literature I have here) and modified the closed end so that it would be functional and take in air and fit the Stromberg 48's.

So there, even a newbie can think of new tricks!!! Possibly the prices of these scoops might have just went up! LOL (that is if some like the look). Anyways, I've read that the Strombergs work best with dead air space so hopefully this will work out for me (I have my fingers crossed).

[​IMG]

Well, that's about it for now. I'll post more pics as I slowly move along. All I can say at this point is that I really enjoy saving this old car and I'm learning a ton as a newbie rod builder.

Even though I have a long ways to go before my vision will be complete, I'd like to say thanks to all those who have offered/sold me parts for this build or provided photo descriptions and/or advice.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Yes, I belive it does...

8. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Thanks...it is, like my neighbor calls his wife, TONS OF FUN (and no she isn't fat!) LOL....

9. hasty

hasty

Looks good. Looking forward to more updates.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project! What is the part number on the intake manifold?

11. farmer12

farmer12

Good to see you're back at it. This is one great build, especially with the Hemi. Keep up the good work!

12. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Cool build, and a cool car to start with. I can relate to your 'big gap' thing, haven't been able to get on my 40 since last july due to other 'stuff'. Hopefully i'll be back in the garage soon tho. Looking forward to updates.

13. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

WC245

Progress has been slow lately, too busy with work. But, managing to get a few things done. Currently I'm working on repairing the drivers side roof area, above the door. It had some historical damage in this area and the metal was thin with tiny holes, right on the lip where it rolls over to the top of the door. Hard to find 33/34 roof sections, so I improvised. I started looking at a roof section on a 36 Ford when I was out in Phoenix several months ago at Desert Valley Auto parts (south lot...Casa) and based on what I could see (without my car in front of me) the roof lines looked about identical to the 33/34. So, I marked off the section of the roof I wanted and had it sent back to me. Took time to remove all the metal from the roof that I did not need. The hardest part was reconstructing the lip area above the door since the 33/34 is narrower than the 36 roof section. But, with some careful bending, shrinking and stretching, I manged to put together a real nice replacement part. Got that welded up to the roof section and have started to weld the roof section to the roof a couple days ago. Extremely happy with the results so far but it's not done yet...LOL

14. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Thanks man, I'm very humbled to have everything I have in life, really. Work hard, play hard...that's about sums up my life. Be back at this build in about 8 weeks. Work to complete and hunting to do with family and friends until then. My plan is to make a major push on this car in the coming months (think positive, LOL)....I gotta get it done so I can drive it and enjoy it. But like most, can only do what you can afford to do and have time to do. From my perspective, it's all down hill from here, even though there is a ton of work to do yet. I'll get there...someday.....

15. GOGT4ME

GOGT4ME
    from washington

AWESOME BUILD! Man you have come a long ways since I seen it... Hope things are going good for you and the family. Can't wait to see more progress on your project..Its going to be a killer when you are done.. I forgot I was a memeber of this site. Heck I even forgot my password and the whole thing.I am not sure how I got on here BUT I am glad I did....

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A great project. I'll enjoy seeing it through as you work on it. Thanks.

17. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Well, I have not posted lately, but I have been getting a few things done. As discussed almost 1.5 years ago now, I had my 34 Plymouth Instrument Cluster rebuilt and totally restored. I had the instrument restorer use the two clusters I had available to make the best one possible out of the parts available. NOT CHEAP, but it turned out really nice and will be a very nice addition to the car. I think these clusters are absolutely beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a couple years to locate one, but I finally located a 34 Plymouth Glove Box door to match up with the 34 Cluster. I just did not think it would look right or look good to leave the Ford glove box door in the car, next to the oval shape of the Plymouth gauge cluster. The door was in rough shape, so I removed the front skin and constructed a new one. The trim around the door is stainless, so that will polish up really nice. The knob on the door appears to be potmetal and I will have that replated. I'm not sure if I will leave the original Plymouth Emblem in the door. I'm thinking of inserting a 1933 Silver Dollar in that location, set in a stainless or chromed steel, polished ring.

Thoughts or suggestions? If you have another idea that you think would be cool, but historic, let me know. I'd even be willing to change the whole door face if someone had a wicked idea that I had not thought of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cadillacoffin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I also purchased a louvered roof insert from SAR. The first thing I had to do was build some small metal "L" shaped metal tabs with nuts welded to them. The tabs were then welded to the underside of the roof insert. I then drilled holes in the roof channel to match up with the tabs/nuts. The insert is held in place with small bolts/screws that are inserted up through the roof channel into the tabs/nuts. Now that I have this completed, I will have the roof insert and inner panel primed, before installing the inner sheet metal (panel). The inner panel was formed to match the curvature of the roof insert and will be glued in place with body panel glue. This will keep water from getting in the louvers and holding between the roof insert and inner panel. I will use some kind of sealer around the edges of the insert and the roof of the car to keep water out of the channel at some point during the build.

[​IMG]

19. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I did a little "Pickin" one day at a old salvage yard that is now closed. I know where the key is, so the owner lets me go in there and pick what I want and pay him what I think items are worth. There is not a lot of really old stuff in there yet, but a few things are still there to be had. I'm very grateful for him allowing me to do this. Anyways, awhile back I "picked" this Ford front bumper off a large old Ford Pickup. I'm pretty sure it was a 1932 Ford Truck. I thought this thing would be perfect for the rear bumper on my car.

[​IMG]

After I had it mounted up on the car, I took it to my machinist neighbor (Marty) to have him do some machining on it. He told me to take it to someone with a BIGGER machine, LOL.... It is hardened or sprung steel I'm told (very hard). So, I hired another machinist I know with BIGGER MACHINES to machine out the holes to match up with the louvers in the deck lid of the car.

[​IMG]

I may do something with the very ends of the bumper at somepoint (shorten them just a bit or something). I'll wait till I have the axle and tires on the car to see how it looks first.

20. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Finally got my roof section installed. This roof section is actually off a 1936 Ford. I was looking over the roof lines of the car at a salvage yard in Arizona about a year ago and it occured to me that even though the entire roof is not the same (wider here, longer there, etc), even with the differences, there were many things that were VERY much the same or the same. So, I had the roof section cut off the car and sent home.

[​IMG]

The underside lip that runs above the door was different, so I refabricated that to the roof section before fabricating the roof to the car. Once I had the roof section fabricated and tack (mig) welded in place, I had my neighbor Marty tig weld it to the car for me.

[​IMG]

Still have a bit of work to complete in this area, but getting close!

21. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I've also been working on the inner panels or channel drops, as I've been calling them. The first thing I had to do was build a template out of cardboard.

[​IMG]

This template will work for both sides. Once I had the first panel cut to shape, I put it in a break to get about a 2" lip (to lay on the top of the frame). I then notched the lip in a couple places where I needed to pound the lip back straight (based on how it needs to be fabricated in the car). I then used a shrinking tool to slowly shrink the lip to get the entire panel to match the curvature of the frame. After that was completed, I used a bead roller to add some effects to the channel drop in the area where the door opens. I'd show you these, but I cannot open the door right now, since it is again tack welded in place with small tabs.

Once the bead rolling was completed, I inserted the panel up into the car through the trunk area and slowly worked it into place. Once I had it where I wanted it, I tack welded it to the car. I then had my neighbor finish up the tig welding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably should have installed these panels before the 1/4's were on, but I did not think that far ahead. Nevertheless, it is not that big of a deal to do it now.

22. sololobo

sololobo

U-R rockin, what a cool old hot rod, doin it up right. Keep on keepin on bro! Congrats! ~sololobo~

23. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Put a little bit of time into my valve covers the other day as well. Marty built me a template so I could line up my MT breathers perfectly on my covers. Took me about two years to locate enough of these little rascals (via the HAMB and the web) for what I wanted to do. Enclosed is a couple photos illustrating this work and the mock up. I still need to polish up the breathers before installation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

25. snelson57

snelson57

Brian ... car is looking great. Cant wait to see it rolling.

26. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Thanks... I'm slowly getting there. I don't have a deadline so who knows when it will be done....LOL

27. farmer12

farmer12

Great to see the progress, looking good!

28. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Maybe you could have a pocket watch with similar number font to the gauges modified to be a clock in the glove box door. I believe the late model Chrysler 300 has a clock mounted on the dash that has a sort of retro look that might work too.

Very cool car. Where you at in Wisconsin?

29. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

That's a thought....thanks

Located near Appleton

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

this car is some shweeeeet ride , like the progress photos , keep up the good work