Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Some of the "junk" I had to drive today......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weps, Aug 31, 2015.

1. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

A few cars showed up today at the Museum, I was fortunate/able to drive these at least from the truck to the shop/storage in preparation for the big weekend events.
    thought you guys might enjoy these!

Attached Files:

2. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

And then a "closed" car which was not as cool as the racer!
    Duesenberg "J-505"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. Sweet,got to be a great job.

4. How cool! What's the event???

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

more pics and more details

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You really know how to scratch someone's eyeball with sandpaper ! ! Seriously, you be one lucky dude.

7. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

The event is the "Auburn Cord Duesenberg Festival"
    I will add a link (hope that's ok)
    I am a volunteer at the ACD museum in the 'pit crew' and work on, and with the cars in the collection. Some stuff is fun and interesting, some is mundane like adjusting brakes, draining gas and oil. There are about 10 guys that help out, some are getting pretty old (one fellow was 95 yesterday!) and there is a lot to do! I grew up in Auburn, and have been around these cars all of my life, just kind of 'rubbed off' I guess.
    we get together on Monday mornings and Thursday evenings, because not everyone is retired (yet)
    http://www.acdfestival.org/

8. Is that Dr. Simeone's Duesenberg Indy car?

9. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

This year, 2015 is the "Year of the Duesenberg" (a different theme each year) and the Museum, ACD club, and the festival committee have all been working to get as many of the "Big D's" together in Auburn at one time. As these cars have become so valuable (600K on the low end, 10M+ on the high end) many have become museum pieces which makes sense on one hand, but takes these rides "out of circulation" so that many people never have a chance to see a "REAL" Duesenberg up close. There is an annual "Parade of Classics" on Saturday thru town, and then all of the cars are parked around the Courthouse square. All of this is free to anyone to see. A neat thing the ACD club has done is that to have your car considered for any type of award (best in class,etc) the car MUST travel in the parade, and remain on public display until 4 pm, so even the "Trailer Queens" HAVE to get a bit dirty!!

10. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I believe that it is. He sent the car ahead to be ready upon his arrival;)
    On Sunday there is going to be the "Duesenberg Drag race" held nearby at a local airport. The ACD club had the 1st race 5 years ago and was a great success. Now keep in mind these old heavy cars do not leave like a modern drag car (burnouts, dump the clutch, etc) but the competition is a flag start heads up deal. A Model "J" was 265 HP in 1929! Ford introduced the V8-60, that is a 4.4 times advantage.
    The drag race is also to commemorate the race between Clark Gable's managers Duesenberg and "Groucho" Marx's supercharged Mercedes, but now I'm getting off topic:oops:
    http://www.goshennews.com/news/loca...cle_e013c0dc-8d29-5299-a0f3-ef253cd1200b.html

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Soon as I saw your name on this thread, I knew it would be worth checking out. Cool!

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WOW!

13. Absolutely beautiful car. HRP

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sure would be nice to have some history on old #5, thanks for posting the photos. Bob

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We'll be there with this ol turd...:cool:
    IMG_20150620_155041013.jpg

kiwijeff, falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  16. WHAT ! ?? ! Wow. Who knew ? HAVE A GREAT TIME !!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

18. belair

belair

19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two BEAUTIFUL pieces!! Thanks for the glimpse of them. What year is the "A" racer? Really like the factory "chop" on that sedan. Hope you will post pics of all the behemoths at the show.

20. ... just a piece of used junk without a supercharger, huh?... :D

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not supercharged, updraft Schebler carb. I'm not giving it all away yet but this one hasn't been seen since 1968. Many knew of it, maybe 3-4 people have seen it from then to now. I'll post pics after the event. These are really among the 1st true "hot rods" of the time so I'm sure this stuff is on topic.

22. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

The only cool car that I drove today;)spent most of the day rearranging the showroom as there are a couple of cars leaving for the weekend (parade) and a few NEW (donated) cars to fill in.

This is a Cord L-29 (front drive) painted in "Frank lloyd Wright's" signature 'Tuscan red'.
    I personally know the gentleman who's brother owned this car in 1934 (bought it 2nd hand) cheap due to the depression, drove it from Boston to Iowa for Christmas break in a terrible snow storm stretching west into Illinois, had placed tire chains on the front wheels in Buffalo New York, stopped on US 30 in Warsaw, Indiana for gas, heat, and coffee.
    The Gas station attendant said that there was "No way" that you were coming from the east, he hadn't seen a car on the road in 3 days!
    The Man was anxious to get home to Iowa and propose to his girl on Christmas day! Said that the Cord was bucking snowdrifts up to the hood the entire way!
    This particular car stayed with this family until about 1999-2000 (IIRC) and was then purchased by the FLW foundation, repainted/restored from its original red.

Attached Files:

falcongeorge and bowie like this.
  23. i went for the weekend last year and it was probably the best car event i have ever been to. the cruise was awesome, there was an auction, swop meet, lots of cool museums. the town of auburn is beautiful.
    a must see........

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I saw a gray and maroon L29 cruising through Port Coquitlam a couple years back. Photos do NOT do these cars justice. Man they are beautiful.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Thanks for the comments guys, I will be busy, but will take a ton of photos.
    The #5 racer is circa 1921 and fun beyond belief!
    I love L29's, but a guy like me can only afford a V12 car, and had to build it myself:(

bowie likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for continuing to add info/pics