Register now to get rid of these ads!

solder or replace brake line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dallasdrifter, May 8, 2011.

1. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Replace all the brake lines and put in a duel master cylinder. DO IT RIGHT!

2. Toner283

Toner283

There are pre made sections available in 6 inch, one, two, three, four and five foot pre flared, fittings already on the line, ready to use pieces. how long of a line do you need to replace?

Also, no one has mentioned it yet but along with the don't weld or solder a brake line, never ever EVER use compression fittings on brake line. If any of these repairs were discovered by the police after you had an accident, you would be in deep shit up to and possibly including jail time.

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I want to be the first one to tell you to solder it, or use JB Weld. It will be fine.
    P.S. please give your wife my email address and ask her to let me know when the estate sale is going to be! send pic's of all your stuff.

4. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

Please please please dont even consider doing anything but replacing the line.

5. rusty bill

rusty bill

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

And,,,, a 60" stick is more than enough to reach from the distribution block (or m/c) to the right or left front wheel on a Falcon... I know that for sure.....

7. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i thought this was a joke .....

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

heck...just put a piece of tin around the 'wound' and a couple of small hose clamps...then solder it all. Impervious...and, you can always pinstripe the solder clump.

dj

9. 117harv

117harv

In one of the Munsters movies, Herman fixed a pie crust slick side wall blow out with an X of electical tape, and then continued on with the race:).

That was in the movies, this is real life...REPLACE IT!!!

10. duct tape wound and refill and post video of first panic stop ...
    ooops did i say that ...
    replace? asking was a joke right?

11. oldolds

oldolds

If you have to ask this question, please take your car to a real mechanic. He should be able to fix it for less than $100. Unless he sees more bad lines. That price is including labor. Figuring a labor rate of $60/hr or less.

12. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Better to poor than dead!

13. dallasdrifter

dallasdrifter
    from dallas tx

already bought 2 section's of length, bent them with a bender, hooked up the fittings, and bled the brakes. I had to ask because I have heard of people braze welding a section of copper pipe a bit bigger than the line over the pinch hole.

14. gsport

gsport

solder??? why not just wrap it with a little duct tape....