Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, does the search function actually work?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Roothawg, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Not being sarcastic. It seems that every time I search I get a "HAMB ERROR" or nothing found. I mainly search the classifieds. Here's an example "1940 Ford steering column".
    I may just be retarded I dunno.
    The most I get is a couple. I even check the box to search in this forum only for the classifieds. Maybe I put too much info in?

See if you can get it to work. Tman will bust my balls if I don't use the search function.......he's been doing it since about 2000. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  2. Muttley

Muttley

The search function has always sucked IMO, I just Google HAMB + whatever I'm looking for + for sale instead.

3. Is it possible there are none for sale? You have to remember that all the classifieds were wiped clean when the new format started so it is highly likely that it's just the fact that no one has one for sale. I put 40 Ford in and only got two pages of any parts for a '40 Ford so just the steering column might be a long shot.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

That is perfect, however, it is sold.

6. Here's what I got using the Advanced Search feature. Sometimes you get better results using fewer search terms.

Using search terms "1940 Ford steering column"

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search/795248/?q=1940+Ford+steering+column&o=relevance&c[node]=45+7+47+48+30+55

Using search terms "Ford steering column"

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search/795267/?q=Ford+steering+column&o=relevance&c[node]=45+7+47+48+30+55

Remember too that you may not get any hits on misspelled or abbreviated words used in the ad posting if you're searching with correctly spelled search terms. A search for a "distributor" probably won't return results for "dizzy" or "dissy".

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

8. just spent 25 minutes trying to find the july banger meet thread...took longer to find than it did to read! Thanks Ryan...uh...I mean Google..

9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Still struggling my way through the search function as well. I get there eventually but not very user friendly. It will get better perhaps as I get used to it.

10. I found it in less than 10 seconds using the advanced search.

I follow this tutorial but I skip to step 7,,it works like the old ADVANCED SEARCH and works so much better. HRP

[​IMG]

When you click the search icon, you will see a search drop down appear. It will look something like this:

[​IMG]

So what does each of the fields and buttons do? Simple:

1. This is the field where you enter your search term. You can enter something simple like:

[​IMG]

This will return all threads and posts that contain both the words "ford" and "roadster." Or, you can enter your search in quotes like this:

[​IMG]

This will return all threads and posts that contain the phrase "Ford Roadster" - both words together as typed.

2. Click this checkbox if you only want to search the titles of posts.

3. In this field, you can limit your search to a specific user only. Just type that user's username in this field.

4. If you would like to limit your search to a certain date or range, just use this text field.

****5. This is a very important checkbox and one people should pay more attention to. Depending on where you are on the H.A.M.B., the function of this checkbox changes. For example, if you are in the "traditional hot rod" forum and you only want to search that forum (and not the entire H.A.M.B.), you would sure to check this box as it limits the search to the forum you are currently viewing.

6. This is another important checkbox. If you want to view ALL threads and posts that are returned with your search term included, do not check this box.

However, if you only want to see the threads that included your search term you would want this box checked.

Try it out - it will make sense once you do.

7. Clicking this button will take you to the advanced search page which gives you additional power to search things like:
    - Threads & Posts
    - Profile Posts
    - Media

8. Click this little arrow for common searches like:
    - Recent Posts
    - Your Threads
    - Your Posts
    - Your Profile Posts

gwhite likes this.
  11. Thanx, HRP! :) I'd completely overlooked that little button you pointed out in step #8.

So... Didya get any hits on that "roaster"? :oops: