Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

:D:D

kidcampbell71 and Denns1989 like this.
  2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Wasn't Van Pelt Linus and Lucy's last name. Seems to be a theme here.

Keep at it. Your progress helps motivate me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

WC145 and Denns1989 like this.
  3. Holy jumping, you're right! That's a funny coincidence.

Denns1989 likes this.
  4. Van Pelt can help me out with an entire new gear set, still cheaper than getting a rebuilt unit from him, but I do have one old toploader over in my Grandfathers old shed that I want to check out first, might get lucky & it will be the same style with good gears (one can dream can't they ?) Aside from that I will count the teeth & place an order with Van Pelt for a new gear set etc.
    Also looks like I have an early 32 - 34 Transmission because we noticed that the bell housing seemed to be "cleaned up" with a grinder to make clearance for the clutch, Van Pelt told me where to look to verify but suspects it could be an early transmission as they need that modification to fit the later clutch.
    Here is the aftermath yesterday evening, next time I get in the shop I will have to spend an hour or 2 just cleaning up before doing anything !
    20141130_163835.jpg 20141130_163850.jpg

5. - I checked the old sign board closer last night & for sure those are 1967 plates ! Guess the 2nd owner had it for less than 2 years. Thanks again for pointing this out !

WC145 likes this.
  6. Mart

Mart

Trans looks later judging by the shape of the bellhousing (Pic may be deceiving, though). There should be a number stamped into the pad above the inspection cover. If so, that will tell you the year of the case at least. Mac Van Pelts site has a page for checking the serial numbers.

Mart.

7. S.F.

S.F.

Neat-o! I dig survivors. good job on tire choice....Wheels and tires are the MOST important thing, followed by stance.

Denns1989 and Runnin shine like this.
  8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I see by your OTHER videos you are into World of Warcraft! LOL
    I'm Ratrod! Horde hunter on Uldaman. Grin Was reading thru here and praying that they hadn't just parked the car with water in the engine instead of antifreeze fourty years ago. Congratulations on NOT finding the water jackets completly rusted out like so many farmer's flatheads I've found! :)

9. Jer,

I will probably never do anything with the transmission out of my 34 Victoria project. It's original to the frame. If you need it let me know. Can work out some kind of deal.

10. Dropped by Algoma56's place this afternoon & picked up the gearbox from his 34 Victoria, was great to meet up, swell guy, very helpful, looks to be the exact same (slanted shifter base).

I haven't had a chance to check the internals on the transmission from Algoma 56's yet, but I'm hoping the internals look better than than the one I opened up this morning that was in my Grandfathers old barn !! YOWZA !! Don't think that gear set will be any good !

Pictures below are the old flathead & internals of the transmission that was in my Grandfathers old barn - the motor & tranny had been outside for many, many years before being moved inside... hard to tell eh ? ha ha ha

20141206_114856.jpg 20141206_115522.jpg

WC145 and metalhead140 like this.
  11. Holy shit !! Lol fill 'er up with molasses, and check back next decade !! Yowza yike-a-roo !!

Haven't commented in a bit, but man.....I love the drivetrain tear out ! Yep, that car got the right guy. Afraid enough to respect it's origins, but balls out to fix it's hiccups ! I love it. Get a real chassis opinion while you're there at this point......it would be nice to respectfully fix whatever else is scary. I know full well, that Snoop' will get driven a lot more in it's second half of life, then it's first. I love that too !!

Good going man !! What a ride....

12. Found a local machine shop to turn my flywheel, thought I should get it cleaned up... the machinist that turned it is a guy that grew up in my mother's neighbourhood, is currently building a 55 Chevy & actully seen Snewpee years ago... needless to say he was the perfect guy for the job & had an appreciation for it !
    20141214_173234.jpg

a little progress all the time... plus I start 2 weeks vacation in 5 more days !

WC145, Woogeroo, Markmonty and 3 others like this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

The new tires look great and I think you're doing an excellent job of everything on this car. Hope the new trans works out!

Denns1989 likes this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I hope this means even more progress!
    You are doing good!

Denns1989 likes this.
  15. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

Yup. It's like the answer to the question:

"How do you eat an elephant?"

"One bite at a time."

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

And If you start from behind, it slows down the process ;).

kidcampbell71 and Bubba1955 like this.
  17. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

^^^^ LOL!! That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

18. This weekend I was busy with family pictures, company party & childrens christmas party so time was limited, however I did have a chance to take the top cover off the new transmission, there was a small puddle of water on top of the very old gear oil that had settled into some form of jello like state, then just typical sludge in the bottom, currently it has a 1/2 gallon of varsol in it to loosen everything up, so far it looks really promising, typical "rubbing" on the square cut 1st gear, but no missing or chipped teeth I could see for the few minutes I had to inspect. So far, so good !!

20141214_173633.jpg 20141214_175627.jpg

19. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Spanners? Oh, wrenches! Canadians talk funny.;)
    Doing a great job there. Keep it up. Really appreciate all the detail you provide in your posts. It's so interesting to read about this project.

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  20. Got the spare transmission torn down today, much better shape than the other one, appears to be exact same "era"as Snewpee's transmission - even has an intact Syncro ! ha ha - I will send pictures to Vanpelt for review & then go from there !

20141227_125141.jpg 20141227_125205.jpg 20141227_125255.jpg

WC145 and Woogeroo like this.
  21. I would use it.
    But then, I use almost anything!

Denns1989 likes this.
  22. ha ha - would you use this wiring harness ? Started removing this afternoon once I took the seats & floor carpet
    out... already found 3 "rubbed" wires... & a vintage unopened KFC "folded fingerbowl" along with a metal comb & a 1962 & 1964 nickel..

20141227_142431.jpg 20141227_151356.jpg 20141227_151427.jpg 20141227_152136.jpg 20141227_152217.jpg

WC145, volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  23. studebaker46

studebaker46

what is your plan of attack on wireing. That looks impossible to sort out. Tom

Denns1989 likes this.
  24. Ya I don't think there was much of a plan when it was wired up in the early 60's by a couple of teenagers ! Whewww I knew it was bad, but the more I got into it today the better I felt about choosing to replace the harness instead of repair. I'm trying my best to preserve the car, but I thought it was foolish to use the existing harness & risk an electrical fire & loose the car, over something nobody even sees, aside from the engine wiring, which I ordered a cloth generator harness for - the harness is a basic 8 circuit 6 volt vinyl harness from Rebel.
    I work in Electrical Maintenance for a living so having bad wiring harness wouldn't bode well :), I plan to reuse as many switches etc. as possible, and will install new regulator, solenoid etc.
    I traced the wiring for the column turn signal & headlight switch today, labelled & made up sketches before disconnecting, hope to finish the old harness removal tomorrow & get the new fuse panel mounted... wanted to do this job when I had a few "clean" days to work on it, not fun walking away from a wiring job part way thru...

WC145, Woogeroo, Atwater Mike and 2 others like this.
  25. Ya Even I would replace the wiring.
    I once had a 61 Aston-Martin that the wiring
    under the dash (factory btw) caught fire
    while I was driving! I remember the smell
    and the smoke and the burn I got on my
    fingers as I reached under and luckily grabed
    the right wire and pulled it out!

Denns1989 likes this.
  26. Torchie

Torchie

Good call on the wiring. That old stuff looks brittle just hanging there.
    Always neat to see what people find when they clean out an old car.
    Torchie.

Denns1989 likes this.
  27. "Out with the old"...

20141228_123839.jpg

and very close to "in with the new"...

20141228_123959.jpg

I couldn't get the dash out thanks to the fixed column, plus I probably would have destroyed the capillary tube for the temp gauge... I'm dizzy from staring up under the dash... wheew time for lunch :)

WC145, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Amazing how much of a rats nest can be made from so few wires! Good call on replacing it. Been following this thread since you started it. Keep up the good work!

29. Yesterday afternoon was spent cleaning up the floor pan - welding up some seams, cleaning up the mess I made getting the transmission out, ensuring speedo cable would connect (I had a new one made as the old one was a cobbled mess) & checking steering column mount for sturdy'ness - then I gave the underside of the cowl/chopped out gas tank a coat of silver to brighten up my electrical work area & called it a night... This morning I started by mounting the fuse panel & harness, voltage regulator, horn relay, solenoid & power term block to the remainder of the old gas tank (where all this stuff was originally mounted) - what a "character building" exercise... but making progress.

20141229_122219.jpg 20141229_122230.jpg 20141229_125435.jpg

WC145, Woogeroo and volvobrynk like this.
  30. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Great car progress, keep it up and you will be motoring in plenty of time.:D

volvobrynk likes this.