Register now to get rid of these ads!

Silver Bullet front engine Dragster pics wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1939fiat, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Hey Rick! This is really great! I'm a good friend of Stan's (actually worked for him for a bit out of high school) and I can say that you ended up with one of the best projects to restore that he built! What we need to do is find the guy that bought his corvair powered '23 wheel stander a few years back and see if he has that restored yet!!!

2. The Corvair powered C cab wheelstander showed up on ebay about 2-3 months ago. Unrestored and in need of much TLC, didn't sell and I don't recall where the seller was located.

Curt R

3. I didn't know about that car..tell me more...

When I was trying to assemble the car ,I had to think like a 25 yr old guy with limited tools and figure how what he did 46 years ago...
    Most of the tabs where gone..it was a challenge to get THAT far..

Rick
    =========================================

4. Was the C Cab relisted?

5. Hey Rick. That is one Be-Ute-E-Full piece of history your have right there.
    I hadn't heard , seen , or read anything about this car until very recently, and probably due to a couple of reasons , , , 1/ I'm in New Zealand. and 2/ I was born in 1966 !!!.
    I got sent a link to this thread from Wingnutz (Cheers Mark) after asking him about any info he mite have regarding Silver Bullet after I saw a pic of it elsewhere.
    As soon as I saw it , , , I Wanted It !
    I see from your recent showing of it, you have a lot of past pics and info of it. Any chance you could scan and post the pic's and info here for me and others to see. I (and I'm sure other's) would love to learn more about this car.

It would be great to see it rebuilt to its former glory.

Cheers again for this thread Rick

Shrapnel :cool:

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  6. don't know if the C cab was relisted

Curt R

7. consulfink

consulfink

Howdy to anyone still out there! I've just listed a rather rare and wonderful thing relating to the Silver Bullet dragster that might be of interest to some on eBay... :) Check it out! I'm fluffmaster3000 on ebay, or search Silver Bullet Johnson dragster hot rod... Matt

8. one of the original builders, Stan Johnson, acquired the Silver Bullet in November, 2012 from Rick Proctor. Stan is restoring the SB to its 1966 configuration.
    A huge amount of time and effort by Rick was put into acquiring the Silver Bullet parts, related pics and info. Without Rick's efforts, there would not have been any type of restoration attempted. Many props and thanks to Rick!!
    Below is a picture of all the parts as acquired from Rick. The amazing part is that 90% of the original car is present. It is very rare that, any dragster, from the 60's exists in it's near original form. As rules changed, chassis were lengthened, frame structure and design progressed, engines were replaced etc. and after numerous mods the chassis and engine were obsolete and non competitive. The original engine, trans, fuel injection, fuel system, exhaust, frame, body panels, grille, front end and suspension will be use in the restoration.
    The original 56 Chev narrowed rearend, original Halibrands, slicks, hand brake, steering wheel, loud pedal and body canopy were missing.
    The engine is in the final stages of rebuild, the fuel injection has been rebuilt, all aluminum parts have been repolished, all chrome parts have been rechromed, front wheels have been disassembled, polished and relaced. Another narrowed 56 Chev rearend has been built and we are in the process of mounting the rear and making brackets. New wheels and tires have been purchased. Stan has made a steering wheel, brake lever, loud pedal, body canopy etc., just as he made the missing originals.
    As stated above the car will look as good as it did in 1966. Stan and all those involved in the restoration agree that a car that was owner built, fast, beautiful and a record holding race car is not to be left in deteriorated, rundown condition. The car demands restoration, not to restore the car to its peak appearance and performance is a disservice and is disrespectful to the car and its builders.
    Again, much thanks to Rick Proctor for making all this happen.
    Curt R

Attached Files:

9. some pics from 1966
    Curt R

Attached Files:

10. Hard to believe its been 2 years since any activity around this thread , glad i subscribed , and even more-so , Glad to hear the rebuild is well underway . Keep us posted on the progress :)

11. 296moon

296moon
    from england

WOW what a coool fed, never heard or seen of it before, any pics about of it about in europe ?

12. Hi Curt;
    Glad to see you guys are making headway with the "Bullet"..I knew Stan would do it correctly as he done the first time.
    We did spend a LOT of time chasing down as many of the original parts as possible,and when your dealing with a car that is "ONE of ONE",that becomes a project in itself.
    We also sold the Mr ED trailer that we delivered the car to you IN..It has gone back to Calif,where it was built in 1969.
    Keep us up to speed and look forward to seeing the car done.
    Regards;
    Rick

13. restoration progress update, November 2013

all painted, plated, polished parts are all in Stan's shop and now it's time to put it all together

b/w picture 1966
    parts and pieces, as acquired from Rick Proctor, picture November 2012
    last two color pics November 2013

Attached Files:

14. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

This is a great story thanks for the update Curt. I can't wait to see Stan line it up and lay it down.

15. Too Cool. Looking great. Good to see it progressing :)

16. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Vintage Silver Bullet action.
    silver bullet 500.jpg

17. The updated pics of the Silver Bullet by Curt and Stan have only confirmed ,that it was the RIGHT thing to do selling it back to Stan. Not only does he have the resources,but the passion to see it done,and done right.
    I am happy to see it being reborn..
    We saved the car from becoming another piece of abondon history.Stan has brought it back !!!
    Great job ..

Rick

18. Any updates Curt?....you guys are doing great.Where is Stan going to debute the car?..Would like to be there.
    Thanks;
    Rick

19. Stan is busy finalizing the linkage for the fuel injection, clutch, steering and lines for the fuel system.

In the early 1960's, when the car was first built, there was not a fuel injection system available for the engine, still isn't today. Stan and his brother Tom designed the linkage, intake plates and valley cover for the engine. Tom made the wood patterns and had aluminum castings made at his work place. The brothers did the finish machine work and final fitting to the engine.

Tom has passed. I know there are moments for Stan when, we are working on the car that, Stan pauses and reflects on Tom and their efforts on the SB. Special life moments.

The "Silver Bullet" has been invited to debut display at the 2014 Grand National Roadster Show. We have a deadline to meet and looks like the SB will get to Pomona.

The two of you are a significant part of the SB's long road from 1965 to 2013 and should be at Pomona.

With highest regards and huge thanks.
    Curt R

Attached Files:

20. Hi Curt:
    Would love to be in Pomona,but I don't think it's in the cards..
    best of luck to you guys..
    Stan has done a 'wonderful" job rebuilding the car..

We did save the car ,and even though some of the original parts weren't in good shape,we feel lucky to find what we did.
    Please congratulate Stan on such a beautiful restoration.

Rick
    .............................................................................

21. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

rick, havent talk to you for awhile. really kool to see this coming together! really want to see the car when done. will probably run into you some time this summer. rich

22. Hi Rich;
    As you have read,Stan has restored the car ,and from what I have seen,it's a beauty..
    Been quite awhile since wwe chatted.
    Good to hear from ya again;

Rick

23. Not good news that you can't get to Pomona. Pomona is not in my cards, either.
    It's been real busy putting the finishing touches on the SB. Some minor problems that weren't expected but were resolved.
    Someone much more adept at current web tech and the social media did a facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/StanJohnsonSilverBullet.
    Don't know what the plans are for the SB after Pomona. I'll keep you posted.
    The Bonneville car is next on the list, a few changes and then prepping the car for the return to Speedweek 2014.
    Best wishes.
    Curt R

24. Curt, make sure Stan get the SB pre registered for the Meltdown!!!!

25. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I had the pleasure of watching the Silver Bullet being loaded for Pomona. If you are going to the show be sure to check it out but be careful it could melt your eyes.
    DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

26. Wow, what a beauty !

27. attending the Meltdown has been discussed and it's on the SB list of things to do. Stan doesn't know if the SB will return from the Grand National Roadster Show, right away or stay on the west coast for awhile. There wasn't time to get the SB running before it left for the GNRS so, the SB may come to the Meltdown for display. Is pre register required for display only?
    Curt R

28. Hi curt. Pre reg is free and not needed for display. But is required to race. Better safe then sorry. Get it in the list.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!