Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SILLY QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by verde742, Oct 13, 2015.

1. verde742

verde742

I know this is probably a silly question; But I will ask anyway, Why is it in most ads Cars For Sale, it is stated, All gauges work EXCEPT fuel gauge? What is the reason so many gas gauges are the one that doesn't work, or why a really nice car advertised states Gas Gauge does not work.. Some of the cars are really well done with so much work, BUT... blah, blah, blah,... work?

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Because gas gauges are a PITA,I just installed a new gas tank in my deuce sedan along with a new sending unit,I set it up exactly like the directions indicated,put the tank back in and the fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank when full.

It is a major job to pull the tank again,so I have learned to live with it.

One thing for sure that 1/4 tank of gas last a long time. HRP

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Model T1, ace5043 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know. All of mine work just fine. Five of them....

Maybe that's why I'm keeping my cars, instead of selling them.

seb fontana and timwhit like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think the "opportunities" for a problem, either upon installation or over time, are greater with the fuel gauge than other common automotive instruments when building a car.

First is correctly matching impedance of the two components. Next, correct adjustment of the sending unit float arm. Then, ensuring an excellent ground path for the sending unit.
    As time passes, corrosion/resistance of the circuits, which are usually lengthy and have a few connections between the beginning and end.

Along the lines of your inquiry, I often wonder why people advertise vehicles with stated problems that they then say "easily corrected" . My first thought is ALWAYS, "well, if it's soooo easily corrected, then why don't YOU do it and advertise a car with no, or fewer, defects?".

Ray

5. squirrel

squirrel

....or, having a broke fuel gauge causes despair, so it triggers a "for sale" ad.

6. williebill

williebill

If my shitty gas gauge made me have to walk for gas, I'd sell the damn car, too.

Paint Guru likes this.
  7. 29moonshine

29moonshine

or when you get tired of walking for gas you sell it

8. ..............................Boy oh boy is that well said!

verde742 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. I always make damn sure my fuel gauge works because I drive my cars.I really don't want to get half way between Lakeview and Winnemucca to find my gauge is mis-calibrated. It's just not all that hard to match a gauge to a sender and to test it before installation.
    That said, it sucks to drop a gas tank that's been in place for 50-80 years... 41gastank.jpg

10. It's like my sedan,it's a easy fix,all you have to do is pull the damn thing out again,I kinda thing that I'm getting fantastic gas millage on a 1/4 tank of gas! :D

BTW,when it indicates the tank is empty...it is!

But then my car ain't for sale. HRP

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Most things that involve wiring just scare the devil out of guys that are willing to install 'chrome goodies', different wheels, and other tasks in 'familiar territory'.
    Assisting in many wiring kit installations has surprised me at how quickly these fellows are ready to just give up.
    An Auto Meter gauge set got my immediate attention in the fuel gauge dept., the kit came with a fuel gauge, but no sender. Instructions stated the gauge is compatible with 3 systems: Ford, GM, and Mopar, all having ohm values that differ immensely.
    I prefer the old S-W sender...

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Also the 6 volt systems on our cars cause problems when switching to 12 volts.
    I've burnt out 4-5 resistors and many a 6 volt gauge.
    I dont like to quit but I now simply just watch my trip meter and fill it when it hits 100 miles. 15 gallon tank.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wiring trouble shooting is a challenge for most - especially when trying to figure out when electricity not directly involved - is the problem with gauge by itself or the sender itself or the float or the sender wire or the ground or the compatibility of parts,or is it just me?

14. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Before I tore my car down, I used a steel rod as my gas gauge. I just dropped it down, then pulled it out and read the level. It never broke on me, not once.

Model T1, kiwijeff and flatheadpete like this.
  15. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

ANY ONE WHO OWNS AND DRIVES OLD AUTOS SHOULD ALWAYS CARRY A EXTRA PAIR OF COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOES..................................

OWEN HAYES

16. donno

donno

Before putting gauges in my Avatar I used 1/2 of a yard stick, tank was under the seat.

17. The ability to correctly troubleshoot an electrical problem IS what separates the REAL mechanics from the "YouTube" mechanics.

Hell, the ability to correctly troubleshoot separates most just at that...

Cosmo

kiwijeff and squirrel like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'd bet a good percentage of the time it's not the guage; the sending unit resides in a much more unfriendly environment than a guage does.
    Moisture in fuel can cause a sending unit to get balky, as well as crud buildup from various sources such as unfiltered gas station storage tanks.
    A cars' previous owner may have had a routine of refueling at the same point in the guage reading, affecting how the sending unit responds, just a guess, not sure why though.
    Hell, even my 2k Chevy truck fuel guage lately seems to be stuck after fillup, I know I tend to wait till the message display tells me I'm nearly empty, it takes a couple of near panic stops to get it to move.

LOU WELLS and Model T1 like this.
  19. LOL fuel gauges are a common problem on old cars, the senders take a dump or there is a bad place in a wire or the gauge itself. I have had many an old heap that the fuel gauge didn't work and just didn't bother trying to repair it.

What I do a lot is run a reserve tank sometimes it is just a 5 gallon can of gas. Even @ 10 miles to the gallon that is 50 miles.

One thing I have noticed is that gas gauges seem to be a little more difficult to repair and face it if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say it is lack of easy access to the sending unit on most cars. temp and oil are easy they are usually visible and easy to get to and fix.

gas gauge didn't work in my 61 Dodge. so I took out the tank to see what was up and the sending unit was just a rotted stump with no kind of float left. while I am in there I also notice the tank is all full of crap. $300.00 later I have a shiny new tank and sending unit. I get it all back together and the rubber seal around the sender leaks when I fill it up all the way, so now I just fill it up halfway.

for sale, 1961 Dodge, 20 gallon tank can only hold 10 gallons "easy fix":)

21. boutlaw

boutlaw

In my opinion, the "standard" these days for aftermarket tanks seems to be the GM 90 ohm capacitance probe style sending unit. I dont know who makes these units but one can almost purchase a new tank, with sender, for the price of a 90 ohm sending unit replacement from Jegs/Summit. My most recent purchase of one 4-5 years ago was close to $90. if I recall. After buying two new senders for my OT 66 Mustang in less than a year, I went with a float style sender and have not had another problem. The "coupe" has a gas stick, i.e. paint stick with metal extension and Adel clamp to grab, works every time, is completely accurate, and doesnt require any of those pesky wires.....

BOutlaw .....EcoSinner..coupe

22. squirrel

squirrel

The first time I got to fix a gas gauge was on my 59 Chevy truck, I was probably 16 or 17. One day, it stayed on E when we put gas in it. Turns out the problem was that the current owner never had any money, and drove around with it almost empty all the time...and wore a hole in the bottom of the float, where it rubbed on the bottom of the tank.

:)

belair likes this.
  23. purple5window

purple5window
    from MI

Hey Guys,

I work at Classic Instruments and trust us, we are no stranger to fuel gauge tech calls. They can be a little tricky. I am pretty sure one way to make a grown man cry is to tell him that the gas tank needs to be dropped from his completed car, right after he put a full tank in it, ha!

Thought I might chime in with a couple notes to help with fuel gauge/sender installation.

-The ohm range of the sender and the gauge MUST match. You can verify the sender with an ohm meter. Verifying gauges can be tricky without the right equipment. You best bet is to contact the manufacturer of the gauge or know the gauges original application. i.e. pre-65 GM is 0-30 ohm, post-65 GM is 0-90 ohm, most Ford and Chrysler are 75-10 ohm, and a majority of aftermarket are 240-33 ohm.
    -ALWAYS bench test the sender/gauge before putting the sender in the tank and re-installing the tank. It's a lot easier to catch an ohm range mis-match or bad part before buttoning everything up.
    -Classic Instruments has a variety of gauge options to match an existing sender or senders to match an existing gauge.

If you end up with mis-matched parts (as hot rodders commonly end up with) there is a solution. See the link below on our Fuel Link which can make any fuel sender work with any fuel gauge, without the hassle of having to remove either part. The only thing is that both parts must be functional, only mismatched. It also has a few additional features, like the anti-slosh and low fuel light trigger.

http://shop.classicinstruments.com/sn34

Anyways, just thought I would share. A working fuel gauge sure beats the trip meter or yardstick method!
    Have a great day,
    Devin

24. squirrel

squirrel

used to be when Radio Shack was still around, you could buy a resistor assortment, and just try several and see what the gauge does. For example, put a 33 ohm resistor from the sender terminal on the gauge, to the ground terminal and. Put 12v to the + terminal, and ground to the - terminal. See what the gauge reads. Then try a 90 ohm resistor, see what it reads. Doing this, and knowing what the typical resistances used are (as posted above), you can figure out what sender you need.

If you can find a low resistance potentiometer (variable resistor), you can use that instead. But most of them are much higher resistance than typical senders, so that usually doesn't work out too well. If you can find a 1K (1000 ohm) pot, it would probably work ok.

25. .........................Hopefully the trip meter works.:eek:;)

Hnstray likes this.
  26. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

'I would think that alot of those folks feel their ability to fix it would require messing with 12 volts and fuel, which is downright frightning to them, and the cost of a pro to do it would equal many tanks of fuel.

Model T1 likes this.
  27. when I replaced some of the sheetmetal in the trunk of my 46 coupe I made an access panel to get to the sender if I had to replace it. easier to replace 6 screws than drop the tank

28. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Guilty! Got two old cars and neither gauge works correctly, the one on the truck doesn't work at all, never has. Like HRP, it is under the pickup box, that would be a bastard to remove. I just fill it up every time I leave the yard. The Model A works backwards, the farther you drive the fuller it gets! Some day I'll be in a place where I have nothing else to do, and I'll fix them both.

29. stimpy

stimpy

most of the gas gauge problems I have seen were bad grounds , or resistance in the wire up to the gauge itself , butt connectors under the car being one of the biggest culprits followed by bad /cheap connector crimps , people cannot figure out how to push a wire thru a grommit then put a connector on it in the trunk , they always put it next to the tank or on top of it seems ... or the best one, kid cuts wires before dropping tank only to see the connection on the bung which you can reach by dropping the one end of the tank that has to come down first . ( on a EFI job with a special type of fuel pump (PWM ) ) because his buddy said it was the only way to get the tank out ( cut wires ) .... his buddy cost him some money to fix it properly

30. stimpy

stimpy

all MY drivers had working gauges except for two , the O/T race car as the tank had to be full to make a 1/4 mile pass and back down the return road . so no gauge needed . and the lawn tractor and it gets filled every time I mow and then again after my break at 3 hours ( have to get up and walk or I get severe leg cramps and ussually about there is 3 cups of gas left )