Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Signs of the times..Automotive ,gas & oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 13, 2015.

1. cooke

cooke

2. Here ya go. HRP

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. indyjps

indyjps

This is the only automotive advertising I have. For me it's more where this cabinet came from than the company.

Haven't collected any other stuff, available money goes towards more parts.

You guys have some amazing display garages. My shop is 14 foot blank white walls, with speed parts stickers on the back of the door, guess I need to do something.

Attached Files:

4. That's a cool cabinet. HRP

[​IMG]

5. cooke

cooke

I don't have as much of the automotive-based signs as I'd like to; but I'm always looking for more.
    I live in the middle of oil country where some of Texas' earliest wells were drilled. This last oil "boom" caused alot of the older oil leases to be bought out. Many of the older porcelain signs were discarded and replaced with newer engraved, aluminum signs. I've been fortunate to have been at the right place at the right time.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man
    Man, you guys really have some neat, high-dollar signs, pumps, etc. I rescued a Tokheim like HRP has from a B B Q place several years ago, plus a Wayne 615 with no sheet metal. I waited too long to score much stuff. It is just so expensive because of the popularity of all of it. I have found many pumps out in the sticks, but almost all the farmers won't sell them because they don't want to have to maybe clean up the underground tank and obvious spill that might have occurred over the decades. The old signs are just as sought after and have become scarce. Y'all have some really beautiful garages-barns-sheds.

7. pumpman

pumpman

photo 1 copy.JPG photo 2 copy.JPG photo 3 copy.JPG Hey Cooke, you really lucked out on those pipe line signs. Here in Michigan there are zero drilling wells and very to find. Very cool!

HRP, I too collect those type of oil bottles, here's a couple of mine. I was lucky and found the metal case they go into.

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. I found the metal box with all the shell bottles but it was on it's side and rusted out,it seems the Shell bottle are more plentiful than the other brands.

I also have a Tiolene bottle somewhere and a no name bottle.

That Tiolene box is nice. HRP

9. TinShed

TinShed

Here are a few of mine...[​IMG]Got these 3 over the weekend. The Ice Cream sign is now in our dining room. The firestone sine will be between my shop doors. The Snap on sign is now in my shop. Really cool it shows every step in the process of making a 1/2 in wrench. I have never seen another one.[​IMG]
    One of my first and faveorite sign FORD!!! Dated 1924
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

loudbang, cactus1 and kiwijeff like this.
  10. pumpman

pumpman

^ very cool, dig the snap-on production board. I too would the ice cream sign in my living room.

11. pumpman

pumpman

Ya, there seems to a lot of shell bottles out there. Unfortunately they are repoping these bottles now but the good news is they did a shitty job so its pretty obvious.

12. I found mine under my wife's grandmothers house almost 30 years ago so I'm guessing the are not reproduction. HRP

13. pumpman

pumpman

1_found sign.jpg 6_done.jpg polarine_sm.jpg Have you ever wondered how this shit gets under houses, covering a hole in the floor and I even found one under shingles on barn roof. This one was used to cover an old chimney hole in the floor. My friend found this and gave it to me.

cactus1 and ct1932ford like this.
  14. HRP, Thanks for posting the photo of my shop.

15. Glad to help. HRP

16. cooke

cooke

Thanks, pumpman. If there's ever anything in particular you're looking for, let me know. Be glad to try and help you out.

17. Check this out, another Hamber sent me this pic, of a sign that belongs to the old owners of the home he has just brought.
    He couldn't get it for me, but got me the pic of it.
    IMG_0828.JPG

ct1932ford likes this.
  18. cooke

cooke

Holy cow! Cool find.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Holy Cow,talk about a rare sign. HRP

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is all I have other than some old cans. Was given the thermometer. Traded a pizza for the sign.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      175.9 KB
      Views:
    kiwijeff likes this.
  21. DSC03721.jpg DSC03724.jpg DSC03694.jpg Bikes pic.jpg Mail Pouch sign pic.jpg Garagenightshot#1.jpg

A few from The Hot Rod Grille garage. Look closely to see the Texaco & Gulf 6-footer signs behind the pinball machines.The Ford signs came from the dealer in the small town where I grew up. I've been gathering this stuff for so long that a lot of it was given to me for hauling it away!

Jim

37hotrod, Speedys Garage and kiwijeff like this.
  22. pumpman

pumpman

Hope there was more than 3 toppings on that pizza. That is a great sign, good job!

23. 3 toppings my eye,that's worth a garbage pizza w/t anchovies.:D HRP

24. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I ought to clean it up a little.

25. What's wrong with anchovies?:confused: Just like eating, oh never mind. :rolleyes:

26. Hey, Hot Rod Grille...you have the twin to my Champion Spark Plug sign that I posted back on page 2. If you ever want to turn loose of the "Motor Tune-Up" shingle under yours, let me know. I don't have that one on mine.

27. Most of my stuff is still in storage, but I managed to get a picture of this one. Unfortunately, it looked a bit like an unkempt porcupine when I got it, all of the metal posts for hanging tools on were bent at all kinds of different angles. I also deemed it too dangerous to hang on my wall, as those metal spikes were all at least 8 inches long. Coulda put an eye out! So I removed the offending pieces. Makes it easier to see the graphics on the sign now. image.jpg

28. Cool...but you spelled "tires" wrong :)

HOTRODPRIMER and 26 T Ford RPU like this.