Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shoebox Convert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 25, 2009.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

It's still listed in the classifieds here on the hamb but looks like it sold on ebay yesterday for 15K. Nice car.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

most likely Austin, that's where Bob is.

3. S.F.

S.F.

56 Pontiac trim, 56 Dodge split grill. Lancers and chrome all window garnish moldings. Add 57 Ford steering wheel and 3 dueces.

4. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

5. James66g

James66g

Hey just found this thread! the ebay link says sold so how did everything work out Bob? Did you get the truck did the seller follow through?

6. Some of you are copping out... drive it and spend the $$ elsewhere... How lame - thats not why he posted the question - I would bet... Meanwhile, Bag it, sans the trim for some Buick trim, Skirts, round the hood corners, French the lights a bit, maybe Packard boomerang tail lights, a DuVall windshield (YES on a '50 - ya ever seen one?) and a Carson. Buick toothed grille, roll pans and small bumperettes - for starters... Section it over the winter about 3-4 in.

7. Oh, and how 'bout a 472 Cad with a 700R-4? - now I'm really over budget... Then again I was over budget as soon as It involved paint and materials....

8. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

Stock grill, bags and disc brakes. Then drive the hell out of it.

9. If I could afford the extra 5K I'd leave it with Sean for threads (If 5K would do it:rolleyes:)

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I thought I'd post up the end results of the make over on this car. First I was able to talk Cool57 into selling it to me shortly after he got it from Bob (Thanks Sam) and here is the outcome. I still might change a few more things but this is basically the finished product.I hoping to find a set of Fox Craft skirts and swap an 8" rear in it over the winter but for now I'm gonna drive the shit out of it until the weather turns bad.If you are interested in the details I have a build thread going already on here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456568&highlight=shoebox+project

Attached Files:

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Simply wonderful Russco...

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Convertibles are cool......sure wish I had a 51....................he he he.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, Russco you did that one right. Just enough mods and changes to have a nice custom but not overdone in any respect.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Put some side trim on it and skip the skirts.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Amen to that.

16. Eric H

Eric H

I just found this thread, it turns out I'm following your plan and didn't know it Ryan. I'm still under 20K

17. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Anytime I hear Shoebox convertible this is the car I think of. Keep it simple!

18. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

What would you do given Bob’s ‘vert and $5k to finish it up?

Thanks for asking! I Photoshopped this from a stocker shot I had.

Ditch all the trim. Have Gary Howard lower and re-shape slightly the rear wheel wells for a different look not done before (to my knowledge). Adjust the stance to taste (mine would be slightly lower in the front due to my 60's upbringing). Re-model the front fender trim to get rid of the word "custom" (because it will be obvious that it's a custom!) and because it would look cleaner. Get a '51 grille back instead of using a done-to-death Desoto, 'Vette, Chevy, Pontiac, etc. I would suggest keeping the current dogdish/ring combo on the wheels. I'm not necessarily recommending this color, but it's not bad. Tony Miller's '51 Hardtop is a benchmark.

[​IMG]

19. My Russco built convert is for sale in the classifieds.

Attached Files: