Register now to get rid of these ads!

shaving with JB Weld?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by north coast greaser, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

Was the spot you had to JB weld perchance on the driver's side rear, almost all the way to the bottom of the water jacket, above the starter? I've noticed thin spots on the casting right there on all three of my Packard V8's. I ended up drilling mine out and putting a small freeze plug in there. Hasn't leaked a drop since. (knock on wood)

2. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Unless a genuine certified sheetmetal welder does the welding, welding is not the "right way".

I would use ANY other method before I let some self-taught welder (including myself) get close to precious vintage sheetmetal. As a properly trained welder said recently on this board, "I thought that I knew how to weld...until I went to welding school."

It is MUCH harder (often impossible) to fix the damage done by amateur or untrained professional welding, than it is to fix previous bonding agent, bondo, brazing, soldering, or fiberglass repairs.

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Oh fuck, I forgot this JB Weld story. I was busticated in the parking lot of a NAPA store in West Marlboro, Maryland. It was a bad one, my timing gear stripped. Anyhoo it was utter misery I was filthy dirty under the car when this Asian gentleman asked me if I could help me.
    He had a broken transmission ear on his Honda and was wondering if JB Weld could fix it.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Unless a genuine certified sheetmetal welder does the welding, welding is not the "right way".

uh... while it is true that a beginner can fuck things up pretty quick, certification means little. I've never taken a class, never been certified, and when I fill a trim hole it generally requires nothing but primer and paint.

read a book, watch some videos, and watch your heat in both the welding and grinding process. it's all pretty easy with a few tips.

IN MY OPINION welding is not only the right way, it is the only way if your goal is a quality repair/modification that will never fail.

if all you want is a half assed shit box then it doen't matter. if you want to be painted and nice some day then it does.

5. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

In welding, experience does not substitute for formal education. Both are required.

As a properly trained welder said recently on this board, "I thought that I knew how to weld...until I went to welding school."

In an earlier life, I worked as a service writer for, and assistant to, an independent bodyman/painter who was also a certified welder. I KNOW that certification makes a difference. I KNOW what it takes to get certified, and that even many trained professionals cannot get certified. I KNOW that he never came across an amateur weld that he didn't have to redo. I KNOW that he came across amateur welding jobs that permanently ruined panels (and even frames). YOU may be the exception to the rule, but the exceptions are few and far between.

Welding is only the "right way" when the welding is done right. 99 times out 100, it is not.

That is all I have to say on this touchy subject.

6. Do what ever you want. I make a good portion of my income fixing other peoples short cuts:D

7. Kustomz

Kustomz

Isn't JB Weld kind of rough on your face when you shave? Never thought about getting a close shave that way.

8. I agree. I used the stuff to fill the cracks in my 1960 Comet wheel. Just sand and painted white with Krylon fusion. Looks like new.

9. Were talking about filling a few trim holes here not erecting structural steel. I would bet 90% of the people on this board could do it with out wrecking the panel with about 15 minutes of instruction and an hours practice. The holes will then be repaired by the only method that you can pretty much guarantee that you will not have a problem later on down the road. The "right way".

Of course the right way is only the right way if it is done right.:eek:
    I don't think anyone on here is suggesting that he run out buy a welder and start welding 2 foot long butt joints on his car but are suggesting that if he wants a repair that will last that this is the correct way to fix it whether he feels he is capable of doing himself or not.

10. rodknocker

rodknocker

what he said, you will tear metal before the adhesive gives.

11. I have known several welders, not certified, that weld nuclear grade piping. Ultrasonic and radiography tests don't lie when it comes to weld quality. I also have a cousin that repairs tire moulds for several different tire manufacturers (BF Goodrich, Goodyear etc.). Very precision work with no room for error, as errors will show in every tire moulded. I know another guy that has some of the best weld beads I've ever seen and he grew up fixing farm equipment. I also know welders with training that can't weld worth a %&*^. Welding is a lot like carpentry. Anyone can throw together a deck, but it takes true god given talent to do great finish carpentry. All the training in the world is not going to help some people. I myself fall into the deck carpentry category, so for anything beyond my comfort level I just go to my cousin.