Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shark Gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clarky1966, Apr 6, 2010.

1. clarky1966

clarky1966

Maybe some one can help me with this. I have installed a set of shark gauges in a customer's car. It has the electronic speedometer and sender in it. However, the wiring diagram that came with the gauges were for the dolphins. The colors don't match up and I can't figure out how to wire up the sender or the speedometer. The sender has 2 wires. I am figuring one of them to be a key hot and the other to be the return wire to the speedo. I don't know which one is which. Can anyone help me? Thanks for your consideration.

2. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

Their tech line number is 386.437.1077 ext 10. I imagine they can answer this question in an expedited fashion.

3. clarky1966

clarky1966

I would have thought so too. I cannot get them to answer the phone or emails. I have been trying them for 2 months. Every week I call and leave a message but no answer or call back.

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

2 months , 2 wires ?

Hook them up, what's the worse that could happen , maybe blow the sender .

5. clarky1966

clarky1966

The whole set up cost $300 and I don't have $300 just laying around to buy new ones with. I was hoping someone else may have installed this set up and gotten better instructions. It's not just 2 wires either. The two wires from the sender and what wire from the harness on the speedometer. There are 7 wires on the back of the speedometer too. I have other projects going too and the guy has already picked the car up and is driving it. I just got to figure it out for him.

6. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

I just left a message with their tech line for shits and grins......maybe they will call me back because they like my accent.

7. clarky1966

clarky1966

Thanks man. Let me know if they call you back.

8. Huckster59

Huckster59

what color are the wires

9. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

They dont call back. I tried for six months to get a problem resolved and nothing. I dont think they ever answer the phone. Good Luck

10. clarky1966

clarky1966

The wires are Red, black, green, yellow, blue, orange and white. The two wires from the sender are blue and grey. Any ideas?

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Shark are made by Dolphin. Try their website yet? The sender is non-polarity sensitive, and does not get battery voltage.

12. clarky1966

clarky1966

I know one of the wires obviously goes to the speedo, but where does the other one go to? Is it key hot?
    I did try their site too with no help. Thanks for all your help guys. I really do appreciate this.

13. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

They never called me back. Left them our shop number and my cell.

14. ford1932

ford1932
    from Canada

If it is a 2 wire sender the blue goes to the speedo and the other is a ground which should be grounded preferably to the speedo also.

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

..... and twist the speedo sender wires together to eliminate "noise" interference

16. clarky1966

clarky1966

So, the glue wire is the to the speedo and the grey is ground. Ok, I will try that. Thanks a bunch guys. I will keep you posted.
    The wires were twisted together, and now i know why. You guys are great. Thanks loads.

17. Fenders

Fenders

Good information. I am looking at gages for my current A coupe; I will scratch Dolphin off my list.

18. clarky1966

clarky1966

Ok, the owner brought the car back and I wired the gauge up according to what we had come up with. Still nothing. I called and called and called their tech line only to find out, the mailbox is full. Do not buy these gauges. If I had it to do over with, I would have talked the customer into spending a little more and getting some quality gauges from a trusted source. If they ever do answer, I will up date you guys. Thanks for all your help.

19. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

This why I only buy from Classic Instruments. You pay a bit more but when you have an issue they will resolve it quickly. I hope you get it figured out.

20. clarky1966

clarky1966

Ok, new update. I go online to ebay. There is a fella on there selling these gauges. I contacted him and told him my problems. He is sending me a new speedometer and wiring for it. He said he didn't understand why they wouldn't answer, but he would stand behind it. Now I didn't get these from him, but he is going to take care of it. This to me is very awesome. Here is a link to his store. Just thought I would update you all. This guy is top notch. Thanks all.

http://stores.ebay.com/Old-New-Parts

21. Gravehunter

Gravehunter

mmm... i've been looking at these guages and just talked to them today about a speedo sender. Answered the phone first try. But i had already decided not to get them as the guy was a prick and seemed to act like i was bothering him. This thread assures me they are bad news!

22. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

The sender hook-up is easy. Just hook one to ground and the other to the sender. I bought a full set of Shark gauges two years ago and they work just fine. The speedo is easy to calibrate. Plus, they responded to any question that I asked them. Put the whole set in my 36 Chevy.

[​IMG]

23. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

What dealer are you dealing with? Where are they located. I have had nothing but good service from where I bought mine. I would have to look up my invoices to tell you where I got mine from. Gauges are as good as the more expensive ones that I looked at and priced. Plus they had the right sizes to fit into my small dash. The little tach fits in nicely and works good.

24. clarky1966

clarky1966

I actually called the home store. I went online and called the number there. That's where I ordered them from to begin with. I am now talking to a guy that I found on ebay that sells these. This guy is a great guy and is willing to stand behind something he didn't sell me. I posted a link to his store earlier. I highly recommend him. The gauges are nice and for the most part work great.

25. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

After making my post last night, I realized I told you wrong. There is only one wire going to my speedo. You hook the one wire to either one of the posts on the sender, then put a ground wire on the other one. Sorry about that. Glad you found someone to help you out. I bought mine form a Ebay listing store. They have always responded to any queistions. Good luck and enjoy your gauges once you get them straightened out.

"Wasn't anybody there except me and Little Skeet"

26. clarky1966

clarky1966

The new speedometer came in today. I will install it this week. The guy i got it from was on ebay. He is great. Helped me out when they wouldn't. Check his stuff out.
    I posted a link to his store earlier.

27. clarky1966

clarky1966

I finally got the speedometer installed and it works great. Thanks to ez wiring in florida. The guy's store is oldnewparts on ebay. Check him out. Thanks again for all your help.

28. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Funny think about the ez-wiring(tpi-tech) and shark guys, they are actually brothers that split off into 2 competing companies.
    Mark

29. pastorbc

pastorbc
    from kentucky

not sure if this helps or not, but I just called Shark gauges about a misplaced wiring diagram, talked to sales, and they are e mailing me a wiring diagram while we speak. didn't get thru to tech, though. Bob

30. 29moonshine

29moonshine

bought a lot of stuff from oldnewparts has always been very helpful with fast shiping