Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shades of the Past....Pigeon Forge,Tenn.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 16, 2013.

1. cobra_4

cobra_4

I'll be there on Saturday taking pictures, only staying for the day, then heading back on Monday night for the week of Rod Run.

2. bradroe

bradroe

Always a good time at the Shades. We will be there.

3. Ya gonna deive the roadster down Brad?

4. mx6262

mx6262

I hope my Uncle is healthy enough to go, he got me into hotrods 35 years ago. I want to take him up in my 51 truck. He would like that.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

mx6262, how much do you want for the Lab?

6. mx6262

mx6262

He's cheep! only eats at Easter!!

7. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I'll be there in the 1st '55!!

8. bradroe

bradroe

We are going with a group and Im the desinated driver. We are taking a 12 passenger van, so im leaving the roadster at home.:)

9. Colville

Colville

What's the difference In this show and the Grand Rod Run there?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. cobra_4

cobra_4

This is more of a hot rod show. Lots of stuff from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Less traffic, less street cruising. Rod run is more about people packing the streets and cruising(sadly in more diesel trucks and late models than anything over the past few years) and muscle cars, etc.

11. The local restaurant & hotel staff will tell you they appreciate the Shades of the Past participants more.

The Grand Run caters more to the muscle cars. HRP

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  12. thequietwon

thequietwon

I'll be there for sure, just booked a cabin. Really bummed about the Deuce gathering, but I'm sure the show will still be great. I don't even bother with the Grand run anymore, it gets worse every year.
    Sam

13. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I went to the Shades last year for the first time. There were plenty of nice cars at the show itself, but I was very disappointed with the street and cruise scene. Very few rods were on the street. Like mentioned earlier, lots of diesel trucks and mini vans.

Seemed most of the hot rodders had their cars under covers and they were all sitting on the side walk watching the diesel trucks and mini vans rolling by.

The motel parking lots are turned into used car lots and they charge insane rates for rooms.

I did enjoy myself because I was drinkin. But I don’t think I would have had a very good time sober. Don't think I will be back.

14. If you have to be drinking and can't have a good time sober you have a problem. HRP

15. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I had a problem! That's why I wont be going back! My problem was I had a hard time paying $500.00 for a couple days of watching diesel trucks and mini vans cruising all night.

There was another highlight I failed to mention. I enjoyed watching the old men and their street rods running hot while waiting in line to get in the show parking lot!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've also heard that mini trucks and big wheeled diesel pickup's have taken over the strip. Is that the case or just BS? The motels doubling the rates on Friday and Saturday nights has always been a rip off. The last few times we've gone we rented a cabin which are really nice and about the same price.

17. Ok,I might be old but my hot rod didn't run hot!

Yeah,,the locals clog the streets every night,even when there is not show in town.

As for the Motels jacking up their prices,,it's a tourist town this happens every weekend.

I don't condone the stupid prices but it's a vacation and I have never been on a vacation that did cost money. HRP

18. Don't forget guys there are usually rooms available in nearby Dandridge, Newport and others that are just a short drive away and the rates are often cheaper, sometimes much cheaper.

19. ratrod0

ratrod0

I'll be there bring my old car. I have not washed it all year maybe it will rain on the way up nock some of the bugs off. Dad said he's going to drive the old red car up.

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

MY BUDDY TOLD IT TO ME LIKE THIS.thursday is pretty good cruiseing,not a lot but ok Friday is a little more crowded about 10:00 after the high school football games are over ,THEN the 4 wd trucks,plus people just getting to town. then on sat. all monster trucks mini van jeep and wam-bas."you do know what a WAMM -BA IS don't you" in the south-east come out. still fun tho. wamm-ba

21. Barry,are you and your dad staying at the same motel again this year? HRP

22. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

we'll be there. camping like a bunch of rednecks!!! been going since mid 80's

23. Reasonable rates can be found. We split one room among 3 or 4 guys. That way each person pays $30-$50 a night. Of course, a quick internet search will turn up numerous rooms and cabins at reasonable rates. The key is no not stay on the strip.

Do the locals turn out? Yes. Does the unsuspecting family on a weekend trip to the mountains get caught in traffic? Yes. Are there 5000-6000 rods and classics in town? Yes. Is it chaotic with 3 days of cool stuff to see, friends to visit, good food to choose from, and located in a gorgeous part of the world? Yes.

Beats the shit out of staying home if you ask me.

JH

24. ratrod0

ratrod0

Dad is staying there I will for the most part. my wife,son,and grandson will be there this year so I will be sleeping with them but hanging out with dad allday, and night.

25. .....If you sell me your 5-window will your Dad give you a ride back home?:D

26. ratrod0

ratrod0

I'll sale you mine, or his eather way I'll be driving a 32 back home

27. cobra_4

cobra_4

I could rant for hours about what has happened to Rod Run, I KNOW I haven't missed one in probably the past 22 or 23 years and I've probably been to a few more before that I was too young to remember. I can't bring myself not to go every year, its still alot of fun with good friends that I've met over the years at rod run and from home that go. The biggest reason no one cruises anymore is because of the constant harassment by the Pigeon Forge police. I've been pulled over for taking off from a light very slowly and winding my car out to 4 grand before shifting, that night they threatened to take me to jail for street racing among other things. Another time I was revving my car up because it was loading up in traffic and I was told to "get my piece of $hit off the road if it wouldn't run" by a bike cop. Things like that take the fun out of cruising. Not to mention people have failed to honor the system of saving parking spots, people get there early to get a good parking spot. If you are paying almost 200 dollars a night at a motel you deserve to be able to save it. But then you've always got some jack leg who tosses your chair when you are out cruising, then you are forced to park your hot rod who knows where for the night. All of these reason's are why I and many others never move their cars once they get there. Thus leading to less hot rods and more regular vehicles cruising. Although there are still a good number of cool rides that cruise the street, I sit on my balcony usually every day from 4pm till dusk shooting pictures for my website and I usually take hundreds of different cool rides in that period.

But as someone mentioned above, Rod Run is and has ALWAYS been more fun with an adult beverage or ten lol.

28. ratrod0

ratrod0

cant wait, Doing things to my car I should have done 2 years ago

29. sota

sota

Counting the days

30. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I hope they get real nice weather and that this year no one has their pride and joy stolen while at the show.

Most people are real Car Crazy people who enjoy the show but it seems there are others who only attend shows like this to try and steal someone car.

I hope this year is different from past years.

Sleep with your car and do not let it out of your sight.

Have Fun Jimbo