Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sectioned Shoebox Ford ..... Car? Builder? Owner? Details?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicks Hot Rod Garage, May 24, 2009.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I remember looking thru the magazines that came with the car. It was written up in one of the car magazines many years ago. It didn't have flames and the grille opening was different. Can't remember the magazine.

2. Hey Mikey where'd you get the coupe??

3. Crazy! I never did a thread on the 6" sectioned fifty. Maybe I'll do that.

Check out the thread...

4. thekasa

thekasa

Do any of you folks know if 1954, 1955, and 1956 ford cars front fenders inter change?

5. 62rebel

62rebel

two things: one; do an intro so we know who you are. two: thanks for resurrecting this thread, i hadn't seen it and need the pics of the firewall section...

another thing: what do tri-5 Fords have in common with the shoeboxes in this thread?

OP! i really do need more or larger pics of how you worked out your cowl cuts.

6. Here are a few pics of the firewall...

Here you can see the tape, it outlines my proposed cuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are after I dropped it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

You are off to a great start !! And it looks like a lot of fun!

8. 62rebel

62rebel

man; thanks a lot! those are a great help in seeing what needs to happen there. the back of the car is simple compared to that firewall.

9. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

that computer retarded gave us the oportunity to see more of the process at least ! thanks for sharing barnfindt ;)

Not send from an iphone at all !

10. 62rebel

62rebel

if there are any more pics of that firewall/cowl work PLEASE post them up....

this thread is like an instruction sheet from a model car kit... great!

11. 62rebel

62rebel

another question, and i've never seen how it's been solved laid out in pictures: what do you do with the steering column in relation to the dash after dropping it down? cut it at the 'box and put a u-joint in it? angling it downward is also going to put it closer to the seat.... shorten it a bit as well? or use another vehicle's column?

12. Thanks! I'm glad the pictures are helping. That's all I have of the firewall area. I wanted to keep the original horizontal bead lines, so that is why I cut it the way I did. It really is not that much different then the back, just a full size metal puzzle!

On my 50, they just elongated two of the holes in the frame and the steering box laid down, this changed the pitman arm a little. I guess I could heat that and bend it back down.

13. 62rebel

62rebel

i kind of figured that, as i ran into the same situation with a '59 F100 that was missing it's 'box and i used one from a '58... Ford actually used different locations between those two years and i had to oval the holes to get the thing to work. thanks for the response!

14. Russ V.

Russ V.

For 62 Rebel:

Last fall, my son and I sectioned a '50 club coupe...(all sheet metal cut and fit in 8 days!!)....there is still a bunch of work to get the car running again, but the basics were done pretty quickly.:)

You can follow our work on the thread: Montana Shoebox Section

Feel free to ask questions. We find that 4" is the most you can cut without a lot of extra effort dealing with interfearance at the top of the rear wheel well housings.

The car is in storage in Montana, waiting for more work to be done to it. The attached pic is from another project we did a few years ago. Came out pretty well.

Attached Files:

15. 62rebel

62rebel

i'm gonna do that search now. thanks!

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Any info on this one? I know the section was 6"..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  17. 62rebel

62rebel

lot of work in that one! it has to be documented somewhere.... i'd like to know the builder's source of seats....

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey,

The seats probably came from something '' firrin " or real early domestic! I'd look at '64-'68 Mustang seats with different covers

19. 62rebel

62rebel

i just noticed the height of the steering wheel! he never laid it back or shortened it. the seats might be Mustang, or early '60's GM.... they look too wide for VW. corvair, maybe.

20. 54rat210

54rat210

Can someone please explain why somebody would do this to their car? I just don't get it. I can appreciate the craftsmanship involved in completing such a custom modification. I just don't understand the purpose?? :confused::confused::confused:

21. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

If you have to ask, you just don't get it... CTJ

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The picture is from 1962 Hartford, CT Autorama...so pre 62' on the seats...Yes I noticed the steering wheel too!! Look at the first couple posts, there are a few other cars that the steering wheel seems big and high, this particular car had stock front suspension with Pontiac v8, emerald green, builder was in high school [senior] at the time..Last known color was metalic gold somewheres around 68' or 69' registered in CT....Don't mean to hi jack thread, fell in love with the car when I first saw it in primer..Maybe I should start a where is it thread?

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

x2..

24. oldschool55

oldschool55

Another one from the 1960's on Vancouver Island, might be back East now, if anyone knows.

Attached Files:

25. 62rebel

62rebel

that one's got some serious sectioning done... wow! might have had trouble shutting the hood!

26. That car is sweet!! I've never seen it before. Very cool, thanks for sharing!

27. milo1303s

milo1303s

bump!!!
    What ever happened to these cars?

28. Jamster93

Jamster93

the '50 is currently in England