Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA at Tulsa Nitro Nats

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Third DodgeBrother, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Pictures from the event. Sorry for the delay

Lenny DSC07225.jpg DSC07239.jpg DSC07221.jpg DSC07197.jpg DSC07177.jpg DSC07262.jpg DSC07172.jpg DSC07188.jpg DSC07232.jpg DSC07267.jpg

RoadRunner5 likes this.
  2. spanners

spanners

Now that's cool. Anymore pictures or videos?

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Great shots, Gentlemen. I snagged that "line-up" one for my collection, it's a keeper. :cool:

RoadRunner5 likes this.
  4. Old28

Old28

Great set of pictures, looks like SDRA is alive and well in Tulsa. :)

If you guys ever have some spare time it sure would be interesting to see a picture of each car and a few words about each setup. I know the readers on this site would love it. ;):cool:

5. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll second that, Old28.

6. spanners

spanners

I'll third that!

7. Old28

Old28

OK guys, you posted the pictures and nice photo shots they were, but we are never content until we know a little about each car & their setup.:D;)

As you can see from the post, people want to know !!!!!!!!!!

Here's your homework for the short Tulsa, OK. winter, would like to see a picture of each dragster that is running with your group and a little print on each dragsters setup (motor/trans/rear end).

NOW WHO IS UP FOR THE TASK ????????? :eek::):rolleyes:

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Send me the info and I'll be happy to update, and add to as necessary, the "HA/GR and SDRA Photos" thread already going. :cool:

9. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay SDRA, the balls in your court! :D

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

What about the balls in their court? Green? Fuzzy?

Sorry, Sir, just couldn't resist. :D

11. I 3rd that guys wanna see some info in the cars!! I think I spotted atleast 3 different cars with 240/300's:D

12. Rostov9

Rostov9

Since no one seems to want to post replys, I'll tell you
    what I know about the SDRA/V/gr rails

The yellow 300 + Ford has a pro built engine single 650
    Holley dp can run under the 11.50 index.

The Burgundy Jeep powered dragster has the best of everything can run 10's on the treaded street tires
    which everyone must run.

The newest completed dragster is a Speed Sport
    replica with Jeep power and mid engine.
    Can run under the 11.50 index also.

The 230/250 Chevy runs low 12's rumored to having a pro built 292 for next year.

The second 300 Ford powered aluminum dragster
    runs a stock bottom end except for cam single
    edlebrock carb. Second time out ran 12.0's

The Yellow 261 old type engine with 3- 1 bbls
    runs 11.60's

Another yellow dragster has an old type 302 GMC
    with 3-2 bbls runs 11 teens

There is another 302 type GMC runs single 4 bbl
    ran most of the year,currently being rebuilt
    runs under the 11.50 index.

A white Slant 6 pro built engine runs 11.60's

Another 2 292 engined dragsters almost completed.

I think all the dragsters except the slant run
    Powerglides The 230/250 type ran a 350 Turbo.

Most run COKER L 78 bias ply tires,at least
    one runs Hankook radials.All 6 inch max tread width

13. Old28

Old28

That's a lot of Pro Built motors for a 11.50 index class.:eek:

Put's the pressure on the home built garage guys for sure.:D

Love to see a picture of the speed sport style car.;)

14. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old28, I guess one thing hasn't changed in 65+ years.

Guys (or gals) will still spend the house or car payment (or both) to go faster! Cubic money is almost as good as cubic inches.

But isn't that what built the past time that we all love? I think that it also had something to do with building the speed equipment industry into what it is today. :D

I believe that this also proves why the HA/GR compliant vehicles need to be kept separate from the SDRA - V/gr racers. At least as far as record keeping goes.

Racers will always prefer to "run what ya brung". This is particularly true with the advent of the "tree" and picking your our index.

May the best man or gal win!!!!! :D

15. Rostov9

Rostov9

That's very true about the pro built motors.
    That has caused a lack of more cars being built
    and people selling the cars already built.
    But as you know,money and ego has ruined
    drag racing for the home built guys.
    I don't know the solution,we raced in the 50's
    and early 60's when "home built was the norm
    and drag racing was fun
    Three possible solutions, probably not workable, is claimer engines, raise the index to a higher level and dial ins of which most racers around here are against.
    Would like input on possible solutions to the money
    problem.

I think a picture of the speed sport tribute is posted
    among the pictures on www.duckuscrapus.com

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The "solution" to the money problem is in the personality of the builder. The "HA/GR compliant" cars still have folks who will spend everything they have and more to be the quickest and fastest while others are building garage built cars out of old parts and junk yard engines with nothing more than a carb or two added and perhaps a reground cam. If you realize that it's not about playing "John Force" and really about a time travel experience back to how it was you can still have a ball on a budget. Rocky Phillips Eagle Field Drags is a good example of what it's all about. Dirt pits, flag starts, no time slips and everyone usually gets 5 runs a day (sometimes more).
    If you really want to have a shop built big bucks car it would seem logical to build for a class where the payoff would be better. If you are doing this because you live in the "good old days" you'll find that you can have a lot of fun with a home built rail. Yes you can go faster and quicker in a Chevy II with a small block and a lot of easy to buy parts, but once you have sat out in the open watching the front wheels dance, suddenly it's 1950 whatever and you are in a whole different world. Yes, racing can be a very expensive hobby, but it doesn't have to be, it's a choice for the builder to make. As somebody's signature line here says, "It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast".

17. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

I am a little confused about fast cars and not so fast cars, are there a lot more cars on the west coast?

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Gentlemen,

This discussion's drifting from the thread's topic, and in my opinion there is no money problem. So I'll start another thread for this new (old) topic.
    Here 'tis.

Here's the only shot of Dave's new car that I have.

Speed Sport-esque.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  19. Old28

Old28

Old6rodder --Were is this car out of? What is it running for a motor? Sure looks like some nice metal work.

20. Rostov9,
    Thanks for the rundown on the group.

21. Rostov9

Rostov9

Tulsa suburb.

22. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a "bitchin' " roadster!!! Just like the "Flyin' Brick", it proves that you can march to your own drum and still have a ball.:D

Rostov 9: I personally feel that "organized" drag racing went to hell when the NHRA did away with all of the "little guy" classes and went with what TV wanted.

But no matter what the rules are we will always try to stretch the envelope. Isn't that really who we all are?

23. Rostov9

Rostov9

Totally agree.

24. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

At this point, I'm just a spectator/picture taker. I'm not even a member of the SDRA, and don't want to seem to be speaking for them. Joe Hamby serves that function, and runs the SDRA facebook account. Most of the cars are built by, or have parts from, Bob Hindman. He has STRONG preferences for guarter elliptics, 300 Fords, powerglides and 8" Ford rearends, so most of the Tulsa cars adapt some of that formula.

One of the things that attracts me to SDRA is their unique format. Everybody runs every round. There's a points system, so you can find out who won at the end of the meet. I haven't yet. The idex is 11.50, up from 11.35 to benefet the slower guys. I've seen many runs a full second under the index.

I've participated in many classes that were set up to foster "inexpensive racing." The rules were pretty quickly defeated by those who were willing to buy wins. Built motors and softer tires are an almost unbeatable combination on an oval track. The index and the tire rule seem to do the job in Tulsa.

RoadRunner5 likes this.
  25. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

The face book (SDRA) is ran by Daniel Clark. The new face book (Tulsa Vintage Gas Dragsters) is ran by Harry Elzo. Three of the cars have no front springs, Thank's Lennie for the input. That car to the left with the slant, well I sold it to Bill Kendell, new number is 42. Look for in the future a new car, one of the original three car builders (from 2005) is researching and planning for a chev four cyl. Joe

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  26. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

July, 2014

Vintage Dragsters, Cars, engines and numbers
    #CJ2 242 Jeep Ryan & David, Jenks, Ok
    #SS3 242 jeep David Jenks, ok
    #1 261 Chevy Larry Tulsa, Ok.
    #2 300 Ford Bob B.A.
    #3 230 Chevy Bill R. Tulsa
    #4.9 300 Ford Lenny Texarkana, Tx. ?
    #6 302 GMC Jim Broken Arrow. Ok.
    #7 292 Chevy Ken Owasso, Ok.
    #42 225 Dodge Bill K. Tulsa, Ok
    #76 302 GMC Todd Mustang, Ok.
    #88 302 GMC,292 Chevy Don Cowetta. Ok
    #AA88 225 Dodge Jack & Larry Tulsa, Ok.
    #997 300 Lincoln Matt Webbers Falls, Ok.
    #998 239 Ford Matt Webbers Falls, Ok
    #97 300 Ford Doug Bixby, Ok.
    #21 300 Ford Harry Broken Arrow. Ok
    #368 250 Chevy Wendy Rider Muskogee, Ok
    It could be a great show if we can get all of them together.

27. RoadRunner5,
    Thanks for the list, usually how many do show up for a race?

28. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

We had 7 show up in Sept, one could not get into high gear. One was out of town. Some of those on the list have not done a burnout. One has a hole in the block. we are finished for this year. We hope more will finish for next year, some will probably never finish. Harry will probably switch to a 250 chev. Todd has a whole in the block (rod hole) he has another block for a winter project. 300, are you building one? Joe

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Would like input on possible solutions to the money
    problem.

[/QUOTE]

One solution: work harder.
    Work two jobs - one to support and give your family everything they deserve and one to become the best racer you can be.

30. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

Frenchtown The only solution that I can think of is bigger milder motors, the auto's don't shock the drive line much. When I was running a 4 speed with over 300 HP, I needed a better flywheel and Clutch, that cost a little more, mine was from the West coast (McCloud, flywheel and clutch). The timing chain from down under from Clifford. Safety just costs a little more. Hospitals cost a lot.
    The way that we keep cost down is with 6 in. tread tires and rev limiters. With my slant I would hold it to 6000 RPM. Once when I broke a timing chain, missed 2nd gear, without a rev limiter, I saw 7500 on the tack. The guy that built the motor said that the tack can't keep up and it probably went to 8500, that is what the valve train is set up for. But that motor is only 233 cu. in. I think that you can buy a stroker jeep from Chrysler and other places, they like larger in motors for rock crawlers.