Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Screw It Im gonna go for it! 36 Ford coupe to be

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowcoe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I think I need to aspire to a perfectly round shape like the bare metal version. Even better than the other chopped version. I have a lot of catwalk to work with so It may be do able down the road. Due to my elongated cab I may not be able to get that shape though. I see myself doing it like Sledge though. Getting it drive able first. I'm itching to see it on the road in primer. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427083244.768160.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427083258.882363.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427083279.988164.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks for the updates, keep moving forward! very

3. Almost always, I can get more candy and info for my eyes by comparing pictures. I cropped these down first to wheel base, then body line, then dropped everything forward of the hinge. The pics aren't at the same angles, so it throws it off a little but if you had a pic of your car at the bit lower and more square photo of the brown car we could do it again.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

On the brown car, I notice the profile of the roof is almost the same shape as the door. Those lines flow well.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    If your mind can blot out the window, you'll see the shape is nearly the same, in the roof line its bigger and slightly rotated down at the back. Maybe you see the door as being slightly up at the back. Again the flow here is awesome .

Now if I look at your car in the same way using that pic, I get a bit lost because the flow is off and relationship between the door and roof isn't there.

Just my .02
    Love this build !

4. Huh. Holds true for this one too. Well I have some sedan door tops that I'm gonna use to fix some of the butchery from post #81/83 that still haunts Beater32. I'll switch them side to side. They will be a bit too skinny but I think I can fix that by extending the back lip of the door skin. Maybe that will bring the proportions closer. Then work the squareness out of the back corners. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427118172.764971.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. Is that a "Huh" of revelation?
    A "huh" of wonderment ?
    or a "Huh" of question?
    :)

6. Revelation

Outback and Peanut 1959 like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think, and I don't it well sometimes, that if the window/door line was cleaned up at the rear and you could then get the top to match your unusual window shape it would really enhance the tail dragger stance. It would give a tear drop shape to the whole line. Lower, longer, sleeker to the rear. I can't believe how far you have come with this. There s so much you just had to work out as you went. You're getting close, don't let a few more fixes do you in!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. 6 ball. Your saying leave the overall window shape and drop the roof to match? Interesting

9. I think that's the vibe of Drivinford's 37. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427144799.323160.jpg

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes, If you clean up the top rear door/window line them match the top to that I think your eye would start in the front and just flow off the back. I think it would support your window treatment, you know harmony.:)

11. Lowcoe, pick something to follow and stick with it. You might decide to do a bit of both to the roof and the door- because not only should they work together, the need to work with the rest of the car.

Get the guys on the photo shop thread to help with a visual aid. They are awesome guys and incredible talent.

12. image.jpg

image.jpg

Uh-huh! Excellent flow of the lines on this one.
    But Don't get thrown off proportion wise by the 5 window layout.

See how the roof line hits the decklid in relation to the fender/line opening? This sort of establishes the length of the back of the car, or at least how long it looks
    image.jpg

Can you see how or where the slope/curve of the roof - if continued would end in relation to the fender?

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  13. I think if your eye sees the perimeter of the two windows as just one big window it matches the roof very well.

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes it does and if you think of the little window as part of the door window it is a lot like yours. Photo shop is a good idea. Too bad it won't do the metal work for you.

15. Prolly over posting but here marks the last of the rust repairs on the passenger side. Tried to make it purdy for the camera. Started the other side too. The PO had braised in a repair and even to my low standards it needed to be redone. Apparently he restored 6 36's........ ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428286517.428178.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428286537.612499.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428286553.095842.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428286573.251354.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428286588.133914.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428286602.872328.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428286618.090248.jpg

Squablow and the man like this.
  16. Looking good so far . Keep going !!!

17. raidmagic

raidmagic

Man this has come a long way. Keep plugging away at it. It's looking good.

18. Lowcoe.
    If you want I can copy the radius of the dooropening on my car on some stiff paper and mail it to you.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  19. Wow Kenneth. I appreciate that. What I really want is for you to keep an eye out for a cheap Pullmax and help me get that over to California .

No seriously though I have a plan and it's not going to duplicate your door exactly. Remember I lengthened the door about 5 inches. Actually I figured one is a bit longer than the other by about a half inch so I'll be reworking that pretty soon. I've learned a lot over the last few years. Hopefully I'm getting better...

20. I'm gonna channel ozrodders technique he used on the zephyr save to redo the door openings and use some 5 window coupe door tops reversed side to side to clean up the door tops.

21. That sounds like a good idea.If you can give it a little more curve than in front I think it will look good.
    If you just take the front part and turn it around for the back I´m afraid it will look kind a strange not knowing what´s front or back of the window. By piecutting the rearpart I think you can change the curve of it just a little.
    Just my 2 cents.

And yes I can keep an eye out for you. I know of one and I´m trying very hard to make them to sell it. Not there yet but maybe one day.

22. Keep going it looks great.

23. Thanks Ron. Got the cowl patch installed on the drivers side. Then tackled the passenger door top. My first attempt was pretty weak but I'd like to think that I've learned a bit since then. I used a donor top to get something that looks halfway decent. I like the shape of the first try and I think I'm gonna stick with it. I will need to add some filler on the back edge and the back part the roof definitely needs a haircut as discussed but it's progress. Im still haven't finalized the floors because I'm struggling with direction on the front end. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429405507.967492.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429405520.736297.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429405534.638118.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429405549.656578.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429405564.225605.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429405579.177068.jpg

24. A little curve Kenneth...

25. Here's a couple versions of the door and roof from the nice guys over on the photoshop thread. Both have extended the cab back about 4 inches onto the catwalk. The first one is mainly just squaring off the window. Second is Kenneth's cab on my car :).. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429672937.466492.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429672953.167725.jpg

26. Wow, two sure does sweep nice. Which one do you like ? This car deserves to make you proud. There isn't much you haven't touched. You're the man. Happy hammerin' brother.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Both have a nicer roof profile and side window shape than what you have so far.
    I like picture 2 the best.

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

29. raidmagic

raidmagic

Man I've stared at those 2 shots for about 20 mins now and I can't decide. The second one flows more (better?) but something about the first one I really like (refering to the roof lines)

As far as the windows go I like the first one

30. Thanks Kid, welcome back...

I like them both. I'm still kicking both around..