Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screw dynamat. Peel and seel great sound dampening material....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Blake84

Blake84

I went to the local stereo shop and got quoted $1200 to dynamat my cab. Way too much so I looked to buy dynamat and do it myself. Was shocked how expensive it was. I started youtubing dynamat reviews and came across people using peel and seel.

I went to lowes and picked up 6 rolls of peel and seel for around $100. I removed carpet and bench and sealed everything with peel and seel. I had a lot of small holes throughout my fire wall and cab which made exhaust fumes come in. After covering firewall with 2 layers and 2 layers over most of the cab I then did inside the doors. Anywhere I could I put it.. I did not do my headliner because I don't have one and I like the bare roof exposed( I know I'm weird). This stuff made THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE. IT'S LIKE NIGHT AND DAY. SO QUIET. I can have a conversation no problem. I kept thinking the engine stalled when I stopped it was so quiet. The music is so much better. I cannot even begone to explain how great it was. Def exceeded my expectations. Thought I'd share below is some pics. Also some people mentioned it smelling of the tar. I smell nothing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. skyrodder

skyrodder

Sweet! Thanks for sharing

3. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

i wouldnt swear to it, but i think this is what someone stuck on the gas tank of my 69'. definately will use this when we redo our cab! thanks

4. hippy killer

hippy killer

I have used 1/4 in grace like you put on you roof worked great on my Cummins dodge truck I would say 60 percent quiter

5. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

awesome thanks for sharing. glad to see the legal issues with that shop arent slowing you down on working on that sweet ride

6. chopperwolf

chopperwolf

I used it, works great. Heard people talking about it dripping from the roof, I live in south Texas where our norm is always over 100F and have had no issues. It also helped with the heat on my skull. This is what budget builds are all about.

JeffB2 likes this.
  7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've heard that the Home Depot/ Lowes stuff isn't waterproof and can cause problems down the road. Anyone have any experience with that ?

Don

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

My friends and I have used this to great success before! I have it in an OT Plymouth Valiant and had it in my '57 Chevy truck.

9. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

I bought the same stuff off ebay called edead 6 rolls for about 125.00 . Put it in my 69 RR about 6 years ago. nice and quite but it did come loose on the inside of the door when I had to open up the door panel for a repair. That dynamat is one of the bigger scams out there. It's just like that infomercial where the guy sprays the bottom of the boat with automotive undercoating that cost 5 bucks a can and tries to pawn it off for 15 a can after shafting and handling.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. well, unless it rains inside your car, there shouldn't be any problems :D

11. beauishere

beauishere

Thanks for sharing. I'd wondered if these other deadners were any good. My only question remaining is the toxicity. Problems with this stuff or is it made for use in the home?

12. VonKool13

VonKool13

Yup thats how the owner of Dynamat can afford those bitchin hot rods and several other "collector" cars. Way over priced. I used peel and seal in my Edsel and it worked great.

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

They'll never significantly reduce the price in attempt to stay competitive either, because if they did, imagine the reaction from all the pi$$ed previous customers who paid the insane inflated prices.

14. Blake84

Blake84

It's made for your roof and does have tar. I wouldn't make an outfit out of it or stick it on my face but I doubt there is any harm under carpet it seals up and u don't even smell or see tar at all

15. If this stuff is made for the roof you would think it would repel water.

JeffB2 likes this.
  16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It states on the label this stuff is for roofing,DUH! It rains on roofs ;) I used it also to insulate my '54 from the 100+ degree temps here in Phoenix once it sticks it stays,ain't no moving it.Even as hot as it is now there is no smell.

17. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

veryyyy nice. glad to hear something is more affordable out there! I'm at this stage in my 55' but gawdd daymn dynamat is pricey (for me at least) someone told me about "Fatmatt" i think. but ill look into this.
    Yea if its good enough for your roof...I think it will work for inside my hotrods roof?
    Thanks for the tip

18. ahhhh sheeet, i just put a roll all over me to go outside in this hot AZ sun

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So when you're done, does your car have that "new roof" smell? LOL

Actually, the only thing that I'd be hesitant about is petro vapors and such. But as none of that has been mentioned, sounds like a good alternative. I'd be tempted to use it on the floors and firewall, but not so much the underside of the roof if it might get soft in the heat and sag or fall. Gary

20. storm king

storm king

FatMat is much cheaper as well. I got mine via eBay, about 1/4 the cost of Dynamat...

21. I was wondering about this stuff, They have huge roll at Lowe's for $100, I was wondering about outgassing... (which sounds like it's not a problem) and the stickiness...

I suppose that once it's down, it's going to a HUGE PITA for the next person who gets my car to peel off... But I won't care, cuz I'll be worm food by then.

22. sskustoms

sskustoms

Used the same stuff on a couple of my cars no issues at all works great ,plus it comes narrow enough makes for easy install

23. Irishman

Irishman

On a related subject...

I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to build a car on a virtually nonexistent budget (seriously, I've eaten ramen in place of dinner in order to buy sanding discs).

So I'm all for guys trying to make some money, but until my work actually gives me a pay rise that matches or exceeds the rate of inflation and not a goddam 0.25% raise while the fat cats get huge bonuses (ok, rant over), I see the need to save costs with these kind of products.

Around 2 years ago I read a post (maybe even on this forum) about DIY Lizardskin. It was basically stuff called microbubbles mixed with plain ole cheap latex paint. I mixed it and sprayed it onto an old Scout II I had. It applied just like Lizardskin and dried just like it. Sadly, I never got to test its actual performance since I sold the Scout before it got back on the road. I believe I got the microbubbles from Wicks Aircraft supply.

Anyone else try this homebrew?

24. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Yah i have. My 35 ford was converted to have a truck bed in the back so it was exposed to water. There was rubber stuck to the floors on the inside. After i got it all out the floors were pretty dam bad. No rust on the undernieth side. Only two small holes in the rest of the body. The car had been in los angeles since the early '50s. My guess is that it should seal out water. But if water gets under it its staying. Oh and i wouldnt use dynomat because of that either.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

HAHAHA!!! New sig material right there!

26. Mark T

Mark T

Wouldn't that be the case with any sound deadener if water gets behind it?

I doubt any of the products mentioned above would keep out water even Dynamat.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  27. I use it all the time. Works great and NO SMELL contrary to what otheres have said.

28. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

I use this stuff too. Found out about it via a VW site.

Mike

29. Who's hosing off the inside of their truck? :confused: :rolleyes:

The only drawback I've heard is it smells. I don't know this for sure, it's just what I heard.

30. countrysquire

countrysquire

Looking at the Lowes website, it looks like a 6" X 25' roll is $15. What's funny is that almost all of the reviews are from people using it as a substitute for Dynamat, not its intended purpose.