Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Schramm air compressor engine- anyone know anything about these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ^^^^Chester A. RILEY^^^^^

2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Kiek him a PM Carl... ;)

3. I would, but I hate to look like a kök:D

4. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

As for the supercharging thing, remember the old adage that there's no substitute for cubic inches. Well it's not always true nowadays, but in the case of the half-a-V8 compressor it is absolutely true. Also isn't the whole things technically unbalanced because peak cyl pressures on 4 compressor cyls are only 100-150 psi and peak cyl pressures on the other 4 are 10x that?

5. Well my friend Chris @kidzintha34fodor saw it and has to have it. I only wanted it for a good runnin engine or parts, I think he wants it for the powerplant that it is. So hopefully he will get it going! I had no idea there would be any interest in this thing as-is

6. Substitutes for cubic inches
    Rpms
    Boost
    Greater expansion force ( the result of higher compression)
    Fuel with more energy ( nitro for example)
    Weight reduction

Of course there would need to be some stipulations and " all things equal" verbiage but I'm sure you get the gist.
    According to schramm's info, the balance issue is eliminated by the selection of the cylinders in the firing order. Also they had a conversion for model A 4 bangers. They've been at this since 1927 :)

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Yeah I hear that from guys with small engines all the time.....:p

8. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

I hope to get it running and use it for air tools!! Such a cool thing! First one I've ever seen!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. stimpy

stimpy

they put out lots of air , to fill a 60 gallon tank from 0 psi would take about 1 minute to 150 psi , basically its 2 standard 5 HP 2 cyl air compressors running at a higher speed .

10. Had one with a 302 ford
    also had a Wisconsin V4 conversion that 2 cyl air other 2 ran a Lincoln welder

11. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I've seen Model A motors that run on two cylinders and compress on two. Saw a head a Hersey for a Model A that was susposed to compress on all four and be driven by a second Model A engine

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have seen 302 and 351 fords and a v6 buick..they were set up with special head on one bank that made that bank the compressor..I found a v-4 Wisconsin at the scrap yard all apart and the only part I couldn't find was the head for the compressor bank..Found it in the aluminum scrap barrel after all the rest was gone..I have a Linsey with big single Wisconsin with direct mount v-twin compressor, about 25cfm @ 100 #..Compressor rebuilt..Project for sandblasting in woods..pm me if interested..

13. That's cool man. Those things are great. As several have already commented.....they will put out alot of air. Be cool if you can configure perhaps a natural gas conversion for it. Either way, good luck with it.

On another note.....for all the small inch forced induction guys....check out the history on the Novi Indy cars. 180 cubic inches, Paxton blown....650 horsepower. Yep, one Robert Paxton McCulloch and his circa 1937 forced induction centifugal supercharger for a flathead Ford.....the evolution of which resulted in one of the most competive four cylinder combinations on this planet. Absolutely flat out destroyed their competition.

Not saying this compressor engine is reliably nor easily converted to such.....it is probably not.........but if one really does their homework on supercharged four cylinders.....the arguments here have quite a bit of real world merit......with the right elements of speed record destruction in place..

14. fortynut

fortynut

A word of advice from someone who has let a few big fish get away. Before you do something you may regret, later in life, don't dismantle your recent find. Instead, research it, and find out if you have a rare object whose value may far exceed in its original condition anything you can build out of it.
    People collect old Ford parphenalia, and their love for the past is more often than not backed up by serious cash. Collectors understand this. Ask someone who deals in automotive collectables , if you don't know how to proceed. It might bring more cash in that can be used to buy hot rod parts that otherwise you wouldn't be able to afford.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

kidcampbell- Google NOVI

Hnstray likes this.
  16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad had one of these in his shop many years ago(50's) and it worked well as I recall. As a side note he also had those kits in every pickup that you remove a spark plug and pump up your tires--I still have one and it works-used it a few times on trips-carry it still in wife's 55

17. Yes sir I love 'em, and of course...lol...I love you. Thread derail....but to be honest...some of the stuff that you do, got me reading away...ALOT recently.. I have a parts pile going, and the more I think about it....track nose 31 Phaeton with a boosted four cylinder is probably the most perfect thing I can think of. Then again....with most of the stuff you do....a guy could probably just buy one of your rollers and bolt on a body....lol times 2.

18. Brentphx

Brentphx

OK, off on a tangent... wouldn't filling your tires with atomized fuel from a cylinder be a BAD idea?

19. Carb and intake was a different setup then conventional Ford engine. I can't remember exactly, but somehow the pumping cylinders bypassed the fuel charge completely. Not just this style engine compressor....but every other style shares the same concept of sorts. Painters, welders, air tools etc.....would have been in mind when assembled.

20. Brentphx

Brentphx

Yeah, I got that the engine in the OP is just air... I was referring to Olscrounger's post re: a kit that was included with old pickups. That would definitely have fuel in the air unless the old pickups somehow included a special cylinder that pulled air from an outside source.

Sorry, my fault for hijacking :) His reply in a PM said it was good in a pinch and had been used without incident many times. Back to the regularly scheduled programming!

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with your thinking. However, as my Dear departed Mother in Law used to say "poor folks got poor ways"......or stated another way, when you are in a bind, you do whatever it takes.

The atomized fuel (petroleum based) would be damaging to rubber in tube or tire, but so is running it flat. :D

Ray

22. All pretty interesting. I have seen only one pryer to now. I just hope we get to see what the inside looks like..eventually. Tim