Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF Crankcase Ventilation Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53OlderThanMe, Aug 18, 2008.

1. I have a rather unconventional setup but I like it. :)

Stock internals 71 302 with 4bbl intake and 2x2 adapter with a pair of Holley 94s. Engine runs great but after a few minutes valve covers start smoking. If I take the breather off it will blow smoke thru the hole otherwise it looks like the valve cover itself is smoking, probably coming thru cork gaskets. Both valve covers have breather caps. I'm assuming I need a PCV installed. Original 2bbl had a EGR valve under carb and one valve cover cap to it, second to air cleaner. Looking for ideas to maintain my nostalgia look in my 53 F100.

Attached Files:

2. Use a pcv with a cheapo in line fuel filter before the carb to keep as much
    "crankcase breath" as possible out of the Intake manifold. PS. If the engine is "huffing" out the breathers that bad, the ring seal probably isn't
    too happy.

3. George

George

Engine has to breath! sounds like the breathers aren't breathing if it blowing through the valve cover gasketsYou need a PCV valve in one cover or, if there is a spot where you can drill through the intake w/o hitting a runner or water( been a while since I looked @ a 302 intake) put one there & run a hose to a fitting you need under a carb.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Your orignal setup was a PCV not a EGR. You still have those parts? Use the side that went in under the carb and figgure out a way to get the carb end hooked into the manifold . For the line that went to the air cleaner get a breather cap that will fit the valve cover ,push in or twist in whatever it uses.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

My friend that is exactly what a PCV is suspost to do !!

6. Old system was a plate under the carb with a hose that ran into the oil filler on the drivers valve cover. It appeared the other valve cover ran a hose into the air cleaner.

The current breathers have (2) half dime size holes on either side of the metal strip that crosses the bottom to lock it onto the valve cover. These holes open up into a foam filter element. Maybe I'll try some different breathers before I go the PVC route?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

OK 53 use one of them fancy chrome ones and either get a new one simular to those but with a hole in the top of it that has a rubber grommet in it. Put the PCV in the grommet run a hose to the intake manifold. You MAY just have to drill and tap a hole!! Or is the a line for a vacumm hose for powerbrakes there some where? If so Tee in to that. Untill you get the PCV working you are going to have a smokey mess ,specialy if the engine is a bit tired. Bet there is a spot some where in the manifold you can hook into,does NOT have to be right ynder the carb.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd drill and tap your carb adapter near the base of the carbs just like the factory did. You are adding extra air to the intake after the carb. You can adjust the idle mixture screws to allow for this. If you are not careful where you add the air it can lean out a cylinder. Below the carb ensures that all the cylinders share the extra air.

You can buy an after market twist on breather with the PCV valve hidden inside. It will have a hose nipple on the side for the hose to go to the new hole in the adapter. The other breather can remain the same. It is where the air enters the engine.

If you want an inline PCV valve, get a breather with a hose nipple on the side. It should only let air in through the hose nipple. Make sure the valve is installed so that the air flows through it towards the carb adapter.

Air enters in one valve cover, is drawn down through the engine, out through the other VC and sucked out through the PCV valve into the intake near the carb base. It removes the condensation and acid forming fumes that create so much sludge in an engine.

It's not difficult since you are keeping the VC breathers.

9. Yes I know "Positive Crankcase Ventilation", If you also use and Inline
    filter (especially one you can see through) before the carb/vaccum source, it will over time collect oil, you know, the stuff that has an
    octane rating of ZERO, the stuff you don't want in you intake manifold
    and/or combustion chamber because it kills performance, you know, that
    stuff. Thanks for clearing up for me. Sincerely Mr. Begginer.