Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Power Pack head info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spook498, Sep 26, 2009.

1. spook498

spook498

Greetings all,

I am looking for some info for the 283/327 Power Pack head information. I did a little putzing around on google, which is how I found you guys... The information from HAMB has been helpful, but limited.

I have a 1962 327, with the power pack heads on it. They are casting #3795896. (date codes D2662/E2662) According to various web sources, they are 60cc with 1.72/1.50 valves. I have seen other sources who cite these as possibly being 'Vette heads for the 250hp motor. (the block is 3789817/T0601S date E2662, good for up to 275hp)

So far, the information I have found indicates a 327 that was in a full size with a Powerglide.

Based on that, I doubt that these heads would be 'Vette. (the engine has been rebuilt sometime prior to my getting it. It had a cast iron, 2bbl intake on it)

Now, the question is this:

Are these heads good for anything? I am not going to throw them away, but I have the choice of using them on the rebuild, or a set of 461's. I am leaning towards the 461's. I have a 71 Nova that the engine is going to go into. I am looking for something quick, and streetable, and basically, anytime I put my foot down on the loud pedal, it will get out of its own shadow.

But, people have suggested that the Power Packs are good for low end torque. The car is going to be (for now) equipped with a Powerglide. It was said that the Power Pack heads fall off about 6000 or so. I do not have a realistic knowledge of the operating range of the engine as a daily commuter, once its together. So, would the Power Pack heads be fine, and save the 461s for my 350 build? Or use the 461s and swap them over later when the 350 is built?

(because eventually, once the 350 is built, I will probably sell the 327)

Thanks for your time!

2. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

Power pak head isnt any good for performance. The 461 is a very good casting and will make some power.I would use the 461's now and later.

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

The power packs are small and not as good,,even if you port them they're still designed for a small bore. The 461's were built to flow air and make power on a 4 inch bore.So you get better valve spacing more CC intake volume and bigger valves to start with. I've thrown away abunch of the early small heads when theres so much better.In my opinion even 305 HO heads are better than powerpacks.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You'll lose a touch of compression ratio with the 461's as opposed to the Power Packs. I remember when everyone wanted Power Packs; when I was in high school 66-69. I think your plan to use them on the 327 is fine, and to save the 461's for the 350. Personally, I'd like to find a good set of Power Pack heads for a sleeper project engine. The only real drawback, no accessory holes. Remember guys, not everyone can afford Vortecs or aftermarket heads. Besides, this is a "traditional" hot rod site, and what's more traditional than Power Packs. Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod likes this.

5. spook498

spook498

Well, to further expound on my idea, I was thinking about using the power packs until the 350 was built, and then swap engines. Since I dont have (currently at least) another project for the 327, I could sell it complete, as a 'date correct' engine, if someone was looking for it.

Then again, a head swap isnt that big of a deal.

The 461s I have do not have accessory holes either. For now, the only thing I was going to run was an alternator and a power steering pump.

Im not looking to run a 10 second 1/4 mile, just something that will make a little smoke and noise and hold me over until the 350 is done, maybe a year at the outside...

Thanks for the input!

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. odins701

odins701

get yourself a book call "how to rebuild a small block chevy" by "HP" at your local book store. it has all the specs for heads and blocks. Losts of info. I would stick with the 327. same bore as a 350 with a shorter stroke. the 327 is a high winding motor and will spin up quicker than the 350 in a small car like your nova. If you were going to out it in a heavy car i would go with the 350 to pull the weight. just my 2 cents. But for sure get that book! :)

7. In my opinion the power pack heads can be made to work but you could build 3 sets of 461s for the money you'll drop into a set of PPs. There's only 2 reasons you would run the PPs,1 is you have a machine shop that owns all of the equipment to do the work and you just want to sink all of the time and effort into these heads so you can kick Joe DART's ass and show him that you did it with a set of PPs, 2nd is you just like the pointed casting mark on the fronts of the heads >>>>.

8. spook498

spook498

Well, I have a book with that title, put out by SA Design, by Larry Atherton and Larry Schreib.

Plus about 5 other books that cover cams and valvetrain, budget max performance builds, 302 and 327s, and on modding small blocks. In all the books, there is good info, but once I start digesting it, its almost like brain overload. I like the KISS principal, but some things in this book cause me to doubt what I want to accomplish.

Fuel economy isnt my primary concern, but other people are giving me greif about dropping the Powerglide for a 700R4, or something in that vein. I want to keep the Powerglide, and just set up the proper stall speed/rear end ratio that will give the car some legs, as well as quickness. With the 327, I think that will put me up higher (RPM wise) through the power band, than a 350 will.

9. spook498

spook498

Well, the machine shop here locally quoted me some pretty hefty prices for work, so I think the 461s are more deserving of the time and money spent. However, I must say the pointy end of the power pack is secksie.... lol

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

just a comment. I think the true definition of "POWER PACK" heads has morphed into something different than the original term. I think the only people interested in true power pack heads are restorers of tri-5 Chevys and idiots like me that like real period parts.

1Nimrod and barschow77 like this.
  11. Spity

Spity

Your leaving alot on the floor by using the power pack heads. Just about any set of heads that has a 1.94 or 2.02 intake and 58cc-64cc will make more power. A stock set of rebuilt camel humps will be much better. By the time you get into rebuilding machining and all the work to make these old heads flow good its cheaper to get a set of new cast iron or aluminum heads. That goes for powerpacks/camel humps/vortecs etc. You can buy them new cheaper than you can thoroughly go through them. Theres nothing wrong with the old heads just theres better alternatives.