Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Saturday Morning Project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So, my new '64 F100 had some pretty terrible gauges in it when I got it. I have a pretty good gauge collection and decided to tap it for replacements.

Here's where I started:

[​IMG]

I took her apart to find this:

[​IMG]

Everything was labeled a long ass time ago... and that made this job pretty damned easy. Here's the result:

[​IMG]

All of the gauges are just stuff I had on hand except for the Sun Swept Tach. It's new... And I was really impressed with it. Made very well... and that's rare for a modern gauge. Props to Sun on the tach.

A few things left to do:

1. The vintage SW speedo chewed up what looks like a relatively new Speedo cable. I've found that early SW speedos always chew up plastic tipped speedo cables within a few short miles. Gotta order a new one with a steel tip.

2. The fuel gauge is bouncing like crazy. I checked the Ohms on the sender and gauge - they are working. I must have a bad ground to chase.

3. The black dash bezel itself is temporary. I have another coming from a friendly HAMBer that I'm gonna cut up and engine turn.

AHotRod, sko_ford, patmanta and 4 others like this.
  2. I like the new/old gauges and once you get the machine turned panel they will really shine. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Much better... you don't want to know what was running through my brain when looking at the first picture.:D It looks like a hotrod dash now. My compliments!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. that sure changed the ownership of that interior. nice job

5. I'll be the odd man out.
    The white face gauges with orange needles are way easier to see. Ya. I know. I'm old.
    Your upgrade does add some class to it and the wiring looked like it needed some attention anyway. Nothing worse than a rats nest of wiring behind the dash.

6. Was getting ready to take the plunge on one of those Retro Sun Tachs for my 36. Your report sealed the deal for me. Only problem is it doesn't seem to come with a column mount so will have to improvise right away.

Love the much improved period correct dash.

7. Dennis D

Dennis D

The fuel gauge problem may be due to lack of a baffle in the tank. Are you using the same unit that was hooked to the old gauge? If so, and the old gauge didn't bounce, it may be due to mis-matched ohm values. Dennis D

8. Amazing what those details do

9. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Alot better

Posted from Austinrod

10. Looks much better. Can't wait to see it with an engine-turned panel...........Big fan of damascening.:)

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I too had to go with the white face gauges, due to my eye sight. The black face gauges will always look bad ass. Nice move. That wiring looks like mine, when I get in a hurry. Less time parked, more time driving and a short waiting to happen. Story of my electrical life.

12. Much better! I agree on the tach. I've been running one for the last couple of years. It's a nice piece but I don't really care for the green illumination. Maybe that's how they always were???

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Agreed. What's with the green? I thought about splitting it open to change the bulb.

14. big improvement! I thought about doing something similar to that with mine until I picked up a gauge cluster from a f 600

15. You know, I thought about that but I figured it was some kind of fancy Cree or LED BS in it? Let me know what you find out!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App Sucka!!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looks much better.

Now, when are we going to hear about the '38 coupe..? :)

17. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Much better!

18. Another possibility is the old gauge was "dampened" so the sloshing didn't show on the gauge.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Much improved! If you don't mind my asking, where did you come across the Sun Tach? that is really slick looking, and I hadn't seen it before. I just put a retro half sweep type AutoMeter tach in "endless'earth's" '64 Chevy last week and was impressed with that as well.

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

So can we assume that "AutoGauge" wont be an Alliance member any time soon?:D

21. Ramblur

Ramblur

Always nice when a PO steps up to help out with a current project. I found this laminated diagram of the OD wiring under the OD relay on my 49 Hudson.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

gonzo likes this.
  22. I think I got mine through Summit?

23. Amazon's got em. Cheap as any I've found and free shipping if you are Prime and no tax in AZ. Can't go wrong.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Amazon. Just over $100.

They were autometer gauges. I'm pretty educated on gauges. They are a bit of a sickness with me actually. No one today makes a gauge as well crafted as Stewart Warner did in the 1940s through the 50s. Not even close.

The best modern gauge manufacturers are Classic Instruments and Autometer hands down. I just wish one of them would make a steel bodied 2 5/8 gauge with no branding on the face.

26. jerry

jerry

Looks righter now!

The engine turned panel can only improve it!

jerry

27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Noticed that the white faced Auto-Meter gages you replaced actually have a strong resemblance to matching the new HAMB lay out.

Replacements look sanitary / more the ERA

28. ehdave

ehdave

29. @Ryan -

Big improvement ... Well done!

I dig the mix of SW gauges & the SUN tach ... then again, I may be a tad biased :rolleyes:

HEMI32 Dash.JPG
    Stewart Warner "WATER TEMP" ( 100 - 250 ) gauge
    Stewart Warner "OIL TEMP" ( 100 - 270 ) gauge
    Stewart Warner "OIL PRESSURE" ( 0 - 100 ) gauge
    SUN electric tachometer "R.P.M. THOUSANDS" ( 0 - 8.5 )
    Stewart Warner speedometer "MILES PER HOUR" ( 0 - 160 )
    Stewart Warner "VACUUM INCHES" ( 0 - 30 ) gauge
    Stewart Warner "AMPERES" ( -60 | +60 ) gauge
    Stewart Warner "FUEL" ( E | 1/2 | F ) gauge

... and I too plan on swapping the (wood veneer) dash insert for an engine-turned insert.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  30. daddylama

daddylama

looks mucho better...