Register now to get rid of these ads!

Satans Angels...The Early Years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C RON, May 19, 2011.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love primer spots on under construction customs.

2. i can't tell if this is sarcasm

3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Absolutely great thread Ron, another home run!!! I need to figure out if there is enough pics out there of the charter group of the Merced Valve Burners, and do something similar when in comes time to start showing the roadster. Ya "Retired" yet?...lol

4. R&C RON

R&C RON

Thanks Louie,
    I've really enjoyed posting this stuff. It would be great to see a story on the Merced club! It's obvious by the remarks ,that people really want to hear the history of the early clubs.
    Retired???? No.... just Tired!

5. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for this great thread Ron! I've been looking for more info on the Satan's Angels for a while now. I thought I'd share a photo with you that came in a box I bought full of negatives from what I believe is the 1961 GNRS. This photos shows another (third?) version of Sahagon's Chevy. According to the sign in front of the car, this version featured body and paint by Joe ortiz.

I'll go through the images one more time and see if there are some more of your club's cars in the collection....I know there is a rear shot of the Sahagon Chevy as well at least. Ron, do you know if this is at the 1961 show?

Also it is nice to see that you guys still drive cool cars...and haven't becomen a gang of billet street rodders :)

[​IMG]

A bigger version of the photo can be found here:

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=File:Kustomrama-jerry-sahagon-1951-chevrolet.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  6. fastbackfrank

fastbackfrank

It tickles me to see how much the old Satan's Angles photos are appreciated. Thought I'd add a post script since I was there. We were all working stiffs who loved custom cars. We all lived in the Greater East Bay area. Your car had to be either finished, or under construction showing regular progress to get in the club, and had to have atleast 3 modifications to be considered. Unfinished cars couldn't fly a plaque. Despite the kinda "outlaw" image, we were very strict about not showing behavior that would demean the club or hotrodding in general, while flying the plaque. While several of the guys have passed on, there are a few of us still around, tho only a hand full are still fooling around with cars. I guess I'm the only original member who is in the second generation Satan's Angels as well. Customs Rule! Fastback Frank

7. chip chipman

chip chipman

Glad to see you on Frank. Are you two going to Santa Maria? If so see you there.

8. R&C RON

R&C RON

Hey Buddy,
    Glad to see you got back on here! Being in the club has been a great experiance and having you with us has been an honor for the rest of the members.

9. banditomerc

banditomerc

10. R&C RON

R&C RON

I found the listing for the Sahagon car in the 1960 Roadster Show program(not in 1961)I also have a program photo from a Hayward Show in May 1960.....One more interesting note , the second and third version are a different car. Jerry added the original front end to a second car!

[​IMG]
    1960 Program

[​IMG]

Show at Perry & Keys Body Shop,Hayward,Calif. 1960

Besides Joe Bailon, the shops of Mel Pinoli,Shanklin and Joe Ortiiz all had a hand in Satans Angels cars!

11. Rikster

Rikster

So the chopped top version of Jerry's car is a different body than the first un-chopped version. And he removed the front fenders hood and bumper/grille and placed that on the new chopped body. Wow I never knew that.

12. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, I didn't know this! Do you know why he did this? Was the second version crashed or something?

The second version with canted headlights featured a chopped top and a single piece windshield as well, so if the second and third version were different cars it seems like they were both chopped...

First version:
    [​IMG]

Second version:
    [​IMG]

Third version:
    [​IMG]

13. R&C RON

R&C RON

2nd and 3rd Version.....Same car.

14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That makes sense ron! Do you know why he changed body? Did he maybe buy a finished chopped car?

15. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Hello Frank,
    I think I can speak for everyone in saying thanks for chimming in! It's an honor to have you here.

If there's any more info you can give us on the history of the club, it's members or their cars, we would be all ears (or eyes). I'd especially like to see some behind the scenes type stuff like cars in progress or even the guys just hanging out. Any, and I mean anything would be great.

Thanks,
    Jerry

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is one of my favorites. So damn classy!
    [​IMG]

17. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

18. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Holy shit, that is one hell of a beautiful car! Is that a full flake paint job or just imperfections in the photograph? I'm hoping the former and if so what colours?
    Paul

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Didn't you read the poster? Pearl White and Chicano Purple. Gotta love it.

20. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Ron, I found these old newspaper clippings on the Hayward Custom Auto Review, and thought you would enjoy them.

This one is from the Oakland Tribune, Sunday, May 1, 1960:

[​IMG]

And this one showing Sahagon's Chevy is from the Daily Review May 7:

[​IMG]

21. Great pics! I love Bob Johnsons Olds. Any more info on that?

22. Rikster

Rikster

Car Craft September 1957 article

[​IMG]

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay shit now I have to visit 28953 Mission Blvd. Hayward to see what's there now. I'll post pictures. Used to be a roller skating rink close and a big bowling alley.

24. Gary (steel rebel) - Its now just a vacant lot ... next to the old "PERRY & KEY Body Shop":

28931 Mission Blvd., Hayward, CA (Google Maps Street View).JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Hemi saved me a trip.
    Gary

26. R&C RON

R&C RON

HEMI32....The Perry&Key Body Shop is the building the show was held in.
    Here is a photo from the show.
    [​IMG]

Check out the Amazing lineup of cars at this show! Not bad for the little town of Hayward.​

27. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

What a great line-up! Do you know if there were held more than one show Ron?

28. R&C RON -

D'oh! :eek: ... I Googled the address in the Daily Review photo caption (28931) instead of the address in the Oakland Tribune article (28953) :eek: ... Here's what the PERRY and KEY BODY SHOP building looks like now:

28953 Mission Blvd., Hayward, CA (Google Maps Aerial View).jpg 28953 Mission Blvd., Hayward, CA (Google Maps Street View).jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

29. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Nice!! So was Perry and key a regular body shop, or did they specialize in customizing?

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane