Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sanding mask

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped, Feb 22, 2017.

1. chopped

chopped

I want to upgrade from the throwaway paper mask for sanding.. Anyone use something else?

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-2-22_8-7-46.png
    Hello,

Today’s air respirator style masks make you look like a space alien, but they have so many good benefits, that it makes up for the jokes from your friends. The filter system is pretty good because of the quality of the filters and the fit on your face. No need to get those worthless white paper masks that look like the emergency room at the local hospital. If you are doing any amount of sanding on any surface, get a respirator with dual filters and a good fit on your face. Body work, spray painting, grinding…all call for a good respirator.

Back in 1961-62, we were fixing the dings on our surfboards and making fiberglass patches for larger damaged areas of the boards. When the combination of resin and fiberglass sets, then it is the worst time for repairs. Using sanding tools and hand sanding brings out the worst in “all over” dust. The sanding dust just flies all over, whether you are in your garage, backyard, or in a certified surfboard manufacturing shop. Then comes the itching from the flying particles. Yikes…

Our late friend owned a surf shop and did all of his glassing(a combination of fiberglass and resin) of new boards inside of his back workroom. Then he took the boards outside behind his shop to sand the rough coating smooth for the next layer of smooth resin gloss. The shop backed up to the Surfside/Sunset Beach Slough Area, so he thought that sanding without a mask was ok as the dust was in the wind.

When he started coughing insessantly, his doctor told him to wear a mask when sanding and shaping surfboards. He wore a bandana around like a robber from the cowboy movies. Then, he went to a painter’s dust mask from the local paint store, but continued coughing. Finally, he bought one like the photo above.

Surfboard dust and fiberglass dust particles are miniscule and can go anywhere. My friend asked if I wanted a job of sanding surfboards to make some much needed money. I was/am extremely sensitive to airborne dust and pollens. So, I declined. Let alone itching from the fibeglass dust, even after a shower.

Jnaki

The sad thing to this story is that my friend’s surfboard shop closed as he did not make it from his continued coughing. He had lung cancer. Was it just cancer? From what?

Bruce Fischer and jeffd1988 like this.
  3. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Further to the discussion on respirator style masks, has anybody come up with a make and or style that does not interfere with conventional eye glasses? Have a couple of different makes, but they come up too high on my nose so I cant wear my glasses.

4. 3M 7182 or 83 are designed for sanding, grinding, welding applications...aka the bodyman respirator

5. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

...How big are your glasses? Harry Caray size?
    My 3M fits just fine and it's easy to breathe.

Sent from my Z958 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Good thread. Breathing seeing and hearing. Is all of our #1 we all need to continue enjoying our hobbys. Everyone keep safe and spend money on this stuff it important to all young and old

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Jnaki, I used those paper masks years ago for sanding till I would blow my nose and see all the color of the paint I was sanding come out. I don't care how I look now I wear that kind of mask for everything now.You only have 1 pair of lungs. Bruce.

jnaki and Gman0046 like this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

This inhaling of carcinogenic material is no joke. I spent my entire work life in the aircraft maintenance field and I always said it amazing more of us haven't died from the inhalation of substances we were routinely exposed to. We used Trichlorethylene like it was water to clean oil and fuel leaks. I knew someone who used to wash his work clothing in Trichlorethylene in a bucket and put them back on wet while they were drying. I wonder where he is today? Just google Trichlorethylene to see it's harmful effects. A very good friend of mine also in the aircraft maintenance field his whole life has just been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of Leukemia. His red blood cells were almost non existent. He just received a complete blood transfusion. I can't help but think its chemically related to his career field. We all know auto body and paint is just as bad. Take all the precautions you can.

Gary

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Bruce Fischer likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lost my Grandfather to Leukemia, from life-long exposure to automotive chemicals, and my Dad to a single incident chemical exposure leading to acute liver failure.

By the time you find out something is wrong, it is WAY TOO LATE.

If you find me doing anything but sitting at my desk, you will likely find one of these dealies strapped to my head:
    [​IMG]
    Now I am using the 2291 filters. They breathe easier, and fit under a welding helmet.

If chemicals are involved:
    [​IMG]
    I got to watch my Grandfather die at 63, and my Dad die at 45.

Don't go out like that. You don't want it, and neither do the people that love you.

I wear glasses whenever I am awake. Both of these work.

10. chopped

chopped

I'll get
    one of these, costs not
    much more
    than lunch.

biggeorge and Bruce Fischer like this.