Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saginaw 4 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62 Falcon Gasser, Aug 17, 2007.

1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When it comes to four speeds, I've seen them ALL lying on someone's garage floor in a pile of broken teeth and a puddle of what looks like valve lapping compound. I know that Saginaws are below Muncies on both the "strength" and "coolness" charts, but the fact remains that you can bring home a six pack of Saginaws for the price of one Muncie that's "ready to go" (according to the guy at the swap meet that really wants to sell it to you). You can break any four speed if you apply yourself.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Uhhh... you're calling anyone a poser then mention it's a gasser. Dude gassers are nothing but posing, period. :eek::eek::eek:"

"Dude" ??? "Dude" ??? Isn't "Dude" kind of a poser word that prepubescent kids or gangstas in the hood USED to use???? :rolleyes: :D

With all due respects, especially if you are the ultimate authority on poser-ism, but I kinda recall gassers becomming popular in the early 60's and reaching the end of their time when you were about 10-years old (1975). Maybe you should do some reading up on the gasser era before calling gasser builders & owners posers. They're just as authentic a piece of hot rod history as coupes or tail draggers......or maybe everybody building a '49 Merc or a '32 coupe today are posers, too.

Sorry for the rant and continuing to take the thread off-topic, but hey, it'll get your post count up. I usually try not to add to some of the crap replies - guess you just hit a nerve........

And for the record, no, I don't have a gasser.

3. Thanks. I'm glad someone addressed this one. When i first saw it, i thought it was so fucking ignorant that it wasn't even worthy of a response

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Oh come on, a gasser these days is all about look at me, if you guys were actually worried about going fast, it wouldn't be in a gasser. A gasser today is purely for looks. Hence my comment complete with emoticons... Yes I used the emoticon to show that I was trying to get a response. But then I guess you guys are to busy taking yourselves way to seriously... :p :p :p

5. So, what you're saying is, you can't like the look of a Gasser, AND combine it with speed? If me and my friends LOVE the Gasser look, but want to go thrashing, we need to build something else? Does all this sound as dumb to you as it does to me? Me and friends took 13 cars to abandoned El Toro air force base for a photo shoot for Hot Rod Magazine a while back. Novas, 55's, Willys, Vette, 37 Chevy, etc. All looking like traditional 60's, nose up Drag Cars. We raced eachother on our own 2 mile strip for almost 3 hours. Paul broke the rods in his tunnel rammed Rat in his Straight axle Nova, while Rick blew the clutch out the fork hole in his scattersheild in his blown small block straight axle 37 Chevy. Big FUN! And i don't recall anyone calling or suggesting, hey "look at me", as you put it. Also, you'll see most those 13 cars almost every Thursday night running at Irwindale Drag Strip.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lighten up Francis... look at the emoticon... You know these things...

:p ;) :D :eek: :) :( :confused: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

They are meant to show that there is more to the post than just the words. Like sarcasm, or sticking your tongue out... You guys sure do get all twisted about some dumb shit. So get over yourself already...
    :D:D:D

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You're a dipshit ;)

See, I used an emoticon, so no harm no foul.

Gassers rule

8. I'm not getting twisted about anything at all. I just responded to your nonsense (with or without those emoticons). Get over myself? WTF does that mean? Francis? You're the one with all the colorful icons. Peace out, i got work to do

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Exactly what it sounds like, you get all worked up and get and attitude just like you have on so many other threads, Paso comes to mind for one. It means you take yourself WAY too seriously, easy enough to understand.

As for the Francis thing, it'a quote from the movie Stripes with Bill Murray. But then again you'd have to have a sense of humor to get it....

If you say so it's your opinion, personally I don't see the hoopla over gassers. I understand what they did back in the day and can appreciate the historic significance, but I think they drive like shit, just like a car that's too low...

10. Of course this is all OPINION. The car in your avatar doesn't appear to have that "Cadillac" ride either. My Gasser actually rode pretty good. Drove it 500 miles round trip to Paso, 250 round trip to the March Meet, and it ran bottom 12's through the muff's with 3.50 gears. I'm NOT trying to "sell" you on the idea of Gassers, and it is an inanimate object, so i sure don't care if anyone said it was dumb/junk, or whatever. And maybe without the icons my words get lost. But it seemed to me (another opinion) that your words were dumb to me. To say you can't/shouldn't mix the Gasser "look" and power/speed/quickness, or however your particular wording was. Now, back to the saginaw, good trans, just don't use the really low geared ones as i stated earlier

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

We agree on that much. Especially when I can get a Saginaw for $100-200 and Muncies and T-10's are close to $1k

12. tomslik

tomslik

hey, while you guys are argueing about whether gassers are cool or not i'm gonna throw this into the pile, seems to me that somebody changed the mainshaft in the 4 speed with a 3 speed with OD and built a 4 speed with OD.
    just a saginaw thing though...
    never tried it but i always thought it was a cool idea...